Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Marvin Lewis..back in the NFL?

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Best of luck to Marvin, hope he lands a role that is fulfilling and rewarding to him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Good stuff. Definitely deserves it. Good man and good coach.
Reply/Quote
He should always be a defensive coordinator at LEAST

One thing our teams always had with Marvin was defense
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2024, 06:44 PM)Housh Wrote: He should always be a defensive coordinator at LEAST

One thing our teams always had with Marvin was defense

That's what I'm thinking.

He was a horrible head coach but he was a good coordinator and was DC for maybe the best defense in NFL history.

They had had good players, but I think he also put them in their best positions to succeed. 
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2024, 08:12 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: That's what I'm thinking.

He was a horrible head coach but he was a good coordinator and was DC for maybe the best defense in NFL history.

They had had good players, but I think he also put them in their best positions to succeed. 

Marvin Lewis has the most wins as head coach in Bengals history and is second to Forrest Gregg[my favorite] with a winning percentage. 
Only these two coaches in Bengal history have an above .500 record including Paul Brown and Sam Wyche.

So if ML was a horrible coach then all Bengal coaches are horrible excluding Forrest Gregg. 
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote

There were definitely some frustrations with Marvin, but he wasn't a horrible head coach.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote

Marvin wasn’t a horrible head coach. I can remember the decade before he arrived.

Marvin made a world of difference with the Bengals. And he did a lot of work moving Mike Brown forward, something he doesn’t get a lot of credit for. He laid a foundation that has allowed Zac to continue forward momentum.

Marvin did the heavy lifting that got this team competitive again. Was he able to get them all the way…no but to say he was horrible is doing him a great disservice

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2024, 02:51 AM)BengalYankee Wrote: Marvin Lewis has the most wins as head coach in Bengals history and is second to Forrest Gregg[my favorite] with a winning percentage. 
Only these two coaches in Bengal history have an above .500 record including Paul Brown and Sam Wyche.

So if ML was a horrible coach then all Bengal coaches are horrible excluding Forrest Gregg. 

(01-21-2024, 03:13 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: There were definitely some frustrations with Marvin, but he wasn't a horrible head coach.

(01-21-2024, 03:16 AM)pally Wrote: Marvin wasn’t a horrible head coach.  I can remember the decade before he arrived.

Marvin made a world of difference with the Bengals.  And he did a lot of work moving Mike Brown forward, something he doesn’t get a lot of credit forward.  He laid a foundation that has allowed Zac to continue forward momentum.

Marvin did the heavy lifting that got this team competitive again. Was he able to get them all the way…no but to say he was horrible is doing him a great disservice

He also had a lot more talent to work with than any of the other coaches.

What about Marvin's coaching was good?
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2024, 03:43 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: 1. He also had a lot more talent to work with than any of the other coaches.

2. What about Marvin's coaching was good?

1. He inheritted the worst era of Bengals History.

Dick LeBeau 2001-2002 8-24-0 25.0%

Bruce Coslet 1997-2000 14-37-0 27.5%
David Shula 1992-1996 19-52-0 26.8%

No other Bengals Head Coaches in heritted worse.

2. What part of ...

Marvin Lewis has the most wins as head coach in Bengals history and is second to Forrest Gregg[my favorite] with a winning percentage. 

So if ML was a horrible coach then all Bengal coaches are horrible excluding Forrest Gregg. 

Did you not understand???? Most wins/2nd best winning percentage???

Ok Marvin Lewis was horrible than the Bengal HC's excluding Forrest Gregg were worse than horrible. 
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2024, 06:18 AM)BengalYankee Wrote: 1. He inheritted the worst era of Bengals History.

Dick LeBeau 2001-2002 8-24-0 25.0%

Bruce Coslet 1997-2000 14-37-0 27.5%
David Shula 1992-1996 19-52-0 26.8%

No other Bengals Head Coaches in heritted worse.

2. What part of ...

So if ML was a horrible coach then all Bengal coaches are horrible excluding Forrest Gregg. 

Did you not understand???? Most wins/2nd best winning percentage???

Ok Marvin Lewis was horrible than excluding Forrest Gregg were worse than horrible. 

Name a few things he did in coaching to help with that success.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2024, 03:43 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: He also had a lot more talent to work with than any of the other coaches.

What about Marvin's coaching was good?

In an era when the Bengals hardly touched FA much like we have been doing lately, his talent came from helping the Bengals draft better and improving the players he drafted and had on his team... Marvin was a good HC he ranks 31st in overall wins and ended with an above 500 winning percentage
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2024, 08:30 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: In an era when the Bengals hardly touched FA much like we have been doing lately, his talent came from helping the Bengals draft better and improving the players he drafted and had on his team... Marvin was a good HC he ranks 31st in overall wins and ended with an above 500 winning percentage

I do feel like he helped give the organization confidence and that played a big part in the franchise's turnaround, and I'm glad that some people believe that he played a bigger role than I believe he did.

I'll leave it at that because I feel like we're going around in circles. I doubt that I'm going to convince that I'm going to convince you and I doubt you'll convince me.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2024, 11:49 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Name a few things he did in coaching to help with that success.

It seems you are Hell bent with your feelings about Marvin.

You cleverly ignored my point every time you replied. 

I clearly stated that yes if Marvin is a horrible coach then just about every Bengal coach was horrible or worse even though he is the winningest Bengal coach and  MORE  Important the 2nd best win percentage of all time. In addition, only Marvin and Forrest Gregg left the Bengals with above .500. So yes Marvin was horrible than so was EVERY OTHER Bengals coach in the history of the franchise with the possible exception of Forrest. 

Ok, I get it you are biased against Marvin for whatever reason??? Hmm
Reply/Quote
Best of luck to marvin glad hes back
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2024, 09:18 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Best of luck to marvin glad hes back

Yes, best of luck to Marvin. He was part of the leadership and talent that brought Bengals out of '90s misery. I appreciate what he did for the organization even though he didn't win a playoff game and remained the coach a bit too long.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2024, 02:51 AM)BengalYankee Wrote: Marvin Lewis has the most wins as head coach in Bengals history and is second to Forrest Gregg[my favorite] with a winning percentage. 

Marvin was definitely not a horrible coach, he just had a ceiling of mediocrity. He has the most wins as a Bengals head coach because he was here so long. One thing Gregg, Wyche and Taylor have that Lewis does not is a playoff win. They also have Conference Championships that Marvin never even sniffed.  
Reply/Quote
.[Image: 77320362fc2aba9281a227f5ff019cd7.jpg]

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2024, 06:19 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Marvin was definitely not a horrible coach, he just had a ceiling of mediocrity. He has the most wins as a Bengals head coach because he was here so long. One thing Gregg, Wyche and Taylor have that Lewis does not is a playoff win. They also have Conference Championships that Marvin never even sniffed.  

I knew someone would mention his length of service.  Smirk

I see you cleverly dodged Marvin was the 2nd best winning percentage of all Bengal Coaches.

Paul Brown, remember him? He also went winless as a Head Coach for the Bengals in the playoffs, needless to say he also never sniffed an AFC Conference Championship for the Bengals.  Smirk

If Marvin had a ceiling of mediocrity what was Dick's, Bruce's, Dave's, and Homer's ceiling, or do they get a pass???
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2024, 09:09 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: I knew someone would mention his length of service.  Smirk

I see you cleverly dodged Marvin was the 2nd best winning percentage of all Bengal Coaches.

Paul Brown, remember him? He also went winless as a Head Coach for the Bengals in the playoffs, needless to say he also never sniffed an AFC Conference Championship for the Bengals.  Smirk

If Marvin had a ceiling of mediocrity what was Dick's, Bruce's, Dave's, and Homer's ceiling, or do they get a pass???

I didn't dodge anything. I'm not the one who said he was a horrible coach. I said his ceiling was mediocrity and stand by that. If you can win in the regular season but can't win one playoff game in 16 seasons, that's mediocre, period.
Paul Brown did his best coaching in Cleveland no doubt, he changed the game. And I don't know why Dick, Bruce, Dave or Homer are even in this discussion, they sucked as head coaches.
Meanwhile my guy Zac Taylor, (who I was absolutely blasted for supporting all along), in 5 seasons, has 5 playoff wins and an AFC Championship plus a trip to the Super Bowl. His 5 wins matches the franchise win total from the Bengals birth through his hiring. 
Not sure why you're trying to make Marvin some great coach in a place where everyone knows his record. He's a super nice guy, a mediocre coach who brought the team out of the basement but couldn't get them on the bus. It is what it is.
Reply/Quote