Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin Lewis blasts 'phantom call' at end of game
(11-24-2015, 11:17 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I would nor sat the Bengals loss was on the refs, they did not make the plays needed to win the game.

I will say officiating is the major obstacle in the last few years making and keeping the NFL the number one sport in the US. It still amazes me the NFL chooses part time employees to mold the outcome of too many games each week.

Every fan should write Goodell and voice their displeasure so he can convince the owners full time officials are needed, then use the part time guys to review plays in New York at slow motion. The y have proven they are really bad making calls at full speed.

I disagree.

How better to keep people interested and the NFL in the new constantly than by having these "controversies" every week?

The NFL is the WWF.  Except I don't think the players are totally in on it as much as the officials call games to keep the desired NFL narrative going.  Sometimes players can overcome it...sometimes its just blatantly obvious.

Denver vs Chicago.  Chicago had zero penalties.  (Except one declined defensive holding.)  Zero.  The entire game.  Denver had eight.  Six on the defense.  

Kept that game pretty close too.
[Image: giphy.gif]
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2015, 12:13 PM)GMDino Wrote: I disagree.

How better to keep people interested and the NFL in the new constantly than by having these "controversies" every week?

The NFL is the WWF.  Except I don't think the players are totally in on it as much as the officials call games to keep the desired NFL narrative going.  Sometimes players can overcome it...sometimes its just blatantly obvious.

Denver vs Chicago.  Chicago had zero penalties.  (Except one declined defensive holding.)  Zero.  The entire game.  Denver had eight.  Six on the defense.  

Kept that game pretty close too.

I get the controversy being an attraction to some, but to others it is a big turn off.

I would add having fans think the officiating borders on criminal behavior (officials in with bookies) is never something owners want to be a part of their culture, a culture being created and magnified as highly probably due to doing nothing to fix the officiating blunders.

Have a great Thanksgiving Dino and everyone. Be safe
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2015, 01:44 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I get the controversy being an attraction to some, but to others it is a big turn off.

I would add having fans think the officiating borders on criminal behavior (officials in with bookies) is never something owners want to be a part of their culture, a culture being created and magnified as highly probably due to doing nothing to fix the officiating blunders.

Have a great Thanksgiving Dino and everyone. Be safe

It sure has hampered NASCAR attendance.....that and the perception (whether true or not) that they're playing favorites.  Just this year, there was controversy over the Series Champion and a waiver from a rule he was granted.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-24-2015, 11:00 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Officiating this year is flat out laughable. None the less nothing will happen because Goodell is terrified of holding the refs accountable.

(11-24-2015, 11:17 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I would nor sat the Bengals loss was on the refs, they did not make the plays needed to win the game.

I will say officiating is the major obstacle in the last few years making and keeping the NFL the number one sport in the US. It still amazes me the NFL chooses part time employees to mold the outcome of too many games each week.

Every fan should write Goodell and voice their displeasure so he can convince the owners full time officials are needed, then use the part time guys to review plays in New York at slow motion. The y have proven they are really bad making calls at full speed.
A have an extensive collection of Steelers stuff, but I don't remember the last time I bought an NFL licensed anything. It's definitely been a few years. There's probably a handful of reason why, but the league just seemed ridiculous after Harrison started to be targeted by both the refs and Goodell, while plenty of other illegals hit by other players went by without flags or a fine. From there on out it was easy to see everything Goodell did was inconsistent and his decisions seemed to be based around how the media's reaction of anything (See Ray Rice's double suspension).

Refusing to even try to improve the officiating and the media covering for the league because they want more TV contracts is just as ridiculous. I remember when the replacement refs were in, ESPN did a segment outlining every single missed call that week (no matter how small) in a 10-15 minutes ref bashing highlight montage. Of course as soon as the regular refs returned, terribly blown calls that directly changed the outcome of games went backed to not even being mentioned.

Every channel has their own fantasy football league and they promote it ad nauseum. Commercials before and after the kickoff and every other 30 span of free time makes it too annoying to just sit and watch a game. I have to leave the room and usually end up coming on here to keep from ruining the flow of the game.

I still don't miss a steeler game, but the league sucks big time.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2015, 06:33 PM)6andcounting Wrote: A have an extensive collection of Steelers stuff, but I don't remember the last time I bought an NFL licensed anything. It's definitely been a few years. There's probably a handful of reason why, but the league just seemed ridiculous after Harrison started to be targeted by both the refs and Goodell, while plenty of other illegals hit by other players went by without flags or a fine. From there on out it was easy to see everything Goodell did was inconsistent and his decisions seemed to be based around how the media's reaction of anything (See Ray Rice's double suspension).

Refusing to even try to improve the officiating and the media covering for the league because they want more TV contracts is just as ridiculous. I remember when the replacement refs were in, ESPN did a segment outlining every single missed call that week (no matter how small) in a 10-15 minutes ref bashing highlight montage. Of course as soon as the regular refs returned, terribly blown calls that directly changed the outcome of games went backed to not even being mentioned.

Every channel has their own fantasy football league and they promote it ad nauseum. Commercials before and after the kickoff and every other 30 span of free time makes it too annoying to just sit and watch a game. I have to leave the room and usually end up coming on here to keep from ruining the flow of the game.

I still don't miss a steeler game, but the league sucks big time.

The pity is they could try and fix it, but do nothing. I also agree with the fine crap getting out of hand, a guy gets fined less for a helmet to helmet hit than they do for a minor uniform infraction. They are ruining a great game.

Last night the Bills most likely lose, but the receiver makes a catch, rolls out of bounds backwards on purpose to stop the clock, is never touched and they official winds down the final 2 seconds. No excuse for bad calls that are obvious. The rules in these situations are also the problem, To me it is simple, if a player goes out of bounds the clock stops regardless of how he went out.

Every week and every game there seems to be bad and controversial calls. AJ gets leveled with a helmet to helmet hit Sunday night and no flag, then next week we will see a guy get hit close to the head and a flag will fly. It is crazy how bad these refs are week to week.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2015, 07:50 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: The pity is they could try and fix it, but do nothing. I also agree with the fine crap getting out of hand, a guy gets fined less for a helmet to helmet hit than they do for a minor uniform infraction. They are ruining a great game.

Last night the Bills most likely lose, but the receiver makes a catch, rolls out of bounds backwards on purpose to stop the clock, is never touched and they official winds down the final 2 seconds. No excuse for bad calls that are obvious. The rules in these situations are also the problem, To me it is simple, if a player goes out of bounds the clock stops regardless of how he went out.

Every week and every game there seems to be bad and controversial calls. AJ gets leveled with a helmet to helmet hit Sunday night and no flag, then next week we will see a guy get hit close to the head and a flag will fly. It is crazy how bad these refs are week to week.

As much as a hated the changes Goodell started making when Harrison was the poster boy for hits, the fines and flags weren't the worst part. It was the inconsistency they were dealt. Losing some being hits was mangabe for the NFL, but the inconsistency made the league lose credibility and integrity.

These uniforms fines are supposedly out of Goodell's hands because of the CBA. Of course, Still never got fined for his eye black and he said he didn't even think to ask for permission because he didn't know it was a violation. He had more important things to pay than fines, and I'm not worried about Heyward's pocket change 6k fine, but it's the fact that there's any fine is ridiculous. It's not like honoring a deceased parent undermined or interfered with Nike's deal with the NFL in any way.

The refs are so bad so often I don't even get mad or feel bad for a team that got screwed anymore. It's expected and a routine part of the game at this point. I know the league doesn't want to do anything that seemingly throws the officiating under the bus, but doing nothing and ignoring the problem isn't working.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Calling out signals is such a weak call .

I have never coached a team or played on a team who didn't have defensive front calls that sounded like Hit, set, or go ... It's part of gamesmanship. And exactly why the Qb needs to Vary their cadence.

If a team can guess and copy your cadence after 5 years of trading you away.... Your doing it wrong.
Reply/Quote