Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Marvin Lewis misses practice today
Keep checking back on this -- I'll update this link as soon as we find out more

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/08/08/cincinnati-bengals-head-coach-marvin-lewis-misses-practice/550141001/
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
Was at the stadium earlier? Favoring his leg?

What the heck is going on?? That is sure strange... Hope he's alright
Reply/Quote
Hope he's ok
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Just saw on NFL Network. Lewis is taking time off and Darren Simmons is stepping in. The announcers weren't too specific but believed it "could be a minor health issue" and could only be "for a few days". Sorry, no link, it was on tv when I walked in the door from work.

Edit: Sorry again, everything I just said was in Jim's story from the link in his post. My bad.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2017, 05:17 PM)jowczarski Wrote: Keep checking back on this -- I'll update this link as soon as we find out more

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/08/08/cincinnati-bengals-head-coach-marvin-lewis-misses-practice/550141001/

Thanks Jim.  I hope it really is minor.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2017, 06:16 PM)MoneyCityManiac Wrote: Just saw on NFL Network. Lewis is taking time off and Darren Simmons is stepping in. The announcers weren't too specific but believed it "could be a minor health issue" and could only be "for a few days". Sorry, no link, it was on tv when I walked in the door from work.

Edit: Sorry again, everything I just said was in Jim's story from the link in his post. My bad.

Huh... Interesting 
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2017, 06:22 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Huh... Interesting 

What do you find interesting 
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2017, 06:39 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: What do you find interesting 

Mostly that it's Darrin Simmons taking over and not Guenther, partly because it's a very unusual circumstance. 
Reply/Quote
I hope everything is ok....interesting that Simmons is his choice to fill in and not the OC or DC which are usually the next in line.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(08-08-2017, 06:43 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Mostly that it's Darrin Simmons taking over and not Guenther, partly because it's a very unusual circumstance. 

All the coaches are veteran coaches so I really don't see any big deal on whoever he chooses
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2017, 06:43 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Mostly that it's Darrin Simmons taking over and not Guenther, partly because it's a very unusual circumstance. 

(08-08-2017, 06:46 PM)pally Wrote: I hope everything is ok....interesting that Simmons is his choice to fill in and not the OC or DC which are usually the next in line.

Paul Alexander has held the title as Assistant HC for some time now. I figured he would be the one to take over in Marvin's absence.

Of course wishing Marvin a speedy and full recovery
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote

(08-08-2017, 06:46 PM)pally Wrote: I hope everything is ok....interesting that Simmons is his choice to fill in and not the OC or DC which are usually the next in line.

It's not really uncommon to have the ST's coach (or even position coach) take over when the HC is out over an OC/DC especially for TC... OC/DC do most of the coaching along with the position coaches. HC plans and runs the practice and is in charge of the bigger picture stuff. You don't necessarily have to be a great OC or DC to be a great HC. No need to wear the OC/DC too thin and hurt the progress of either unit to fill in for the HC. Plus Simmons has been here for like 15 years now
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2017, 06:58 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: All the coaches are veteran coaches so I really don't see any big deal on whoever he chooses

True, but still. Everything I've read recently pointed towards Guenther being the next man in line. Of course, this is only temporary and its early preseason so it really doesn't matter who it is.
Reply/Quote
Now NFL.com is saying he has a blood clot.
Reply/Quote
Hopefully its nothing serious, wishing Marvin the best!
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2017, 07:12 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Now NFL.com is saying he has a blood clot.

Yikes! Jeez that's awful, get well soon Marv!
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2017, 07:12 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Now NFL.com is saying he has a blood clot.

Correct, NFL Network just said he has a blood clot in his ankle. They said the Bengals are reporting it minor and should only miss a couple days.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2017, 07:05 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: True, but still. Everything I've read recently pointed towards Guenther being the next man in line. Of course, this is only temporary and its early preseason so it really doesn't matter who it is.

See I have actually heard Simmons was next most likely to get a HC gig, but being a special teams coach he isn't a name talked about. Remember harbaugh was a special teams coach before becoming head coach of the Ravens. Head coaches don't tend to be football savants but rather really well organized and good managers of people. Special teams coaches are some of the best with dealing with adversity as their guys often times are "what's left" on a roster.
Reply/Quote

I think the reason why it's Simmons and not the OC or DC is because it's not serious and the OC and DC are busy getting their halves ready for the season.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2017, 07:33 PM)Au165 Wrote: See I have actually heard Simmons was next most likely to get a HC gig, but being a special teams coach he isn't a name talked about. Remember harbaugh was a special teams coach before becoming head coach of the Ravens. Head coaches don't tend to be football savants but rather really well organized and good managers of people. Special teams coaches are some of the best with dealing with adversity as their guys often times are "what's left" on a roster.

I heard it was James Urban  Mellow

Smirk
Reply/Quote