Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Marvin Lewis misses practice today
(08-09-2017, 06:14 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: 0-7 in the playoffs with his abysmal record in prime time and against the Steelers, over 14 seasons, isn't just change for the sake of change. Mellow

Don't ya love it when guys throw out the change for change's sake narrative in regards to Marvin.  Hilarious

Dude's been here 15 years ! Change for change's sake = see Browns, switching coaches every other year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2017, 06:36 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: During Marvin's career it's been 8 years of mostly missing the post season (minus 05 and 09) and now 6 years of mostly one and dones in the post-season. Maybe next we can lose in the divisional round for 6-8 years.

Slowly but surely we will win the Superbowl under Marv. LOL

To quote Grandpahol, "Wait a cotton Picken minute." I think your on to something here and totally missed it (nice try though post-tard-lol-j/k). But! Here's my thinking here. If he has spent 8yrs missing post season, 7 one and done's, then him missing some preseason could be the spatula that flipped the spoiled burger, yeah? I mean, if you look at the signs, our roster, and our 50th anniversary, this is perfect!

Omg omg omg omg omg omg. We are going to win the Super Bowl this year! ThumbsUp

ITS KARMA! Wait... but only if we win this first preseason game, which really means nothing, but now means everything!

Reply/Quote
@oncemoreuntothejimbreech

You’re overthinking it, honestly. No, Stacey got it wrong. And then she got it wrong again. And then it was right. Trust me – there was no deliberate misinformation given.

@HarleyDog

Ha!
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2017, 11:05 PM)jowczarski Wrote: @oncemoreuntothejimbreech

You’re overthinking it, honestly. No, Stacey got it wrong. And then she got it wrong again. And then it was right. Trust me – there was no deliberate misinformation given.

@HarleyDog

Ha!

Possibly, but I knew what was reported was false at first blush. It was blatantly inaccurate. This is an annual theme. Braham' bone bruise. Carson's elbow. Odom's foot. Bryant's knee. Eifert's ankle. Odom gaining muscle by eating peanut butter sandwiches then losing all the muscle because of sleep apnea then getting popped for PEDs for accidentally taking one of his wife's pills one time right before his random drug screen. Taking a medicine to break up fluid in a Baker's cyst when such a treatment doesn't exist.

To quote Cris Carter, "C'mon, man."

There is so much bad information that comes directly from the team at some point everything becomes suspect.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2017, 06:30 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Yes, the Bengals were a bad team before Marvin. So what? He brought the team to the level that he is. Good enough to beat bad teams, but not good enough to beat good teams. That's pretty much the definition of mediocre. What has Marvin done to make him a good coach? His ceiling is mediocrity.

Already explained without your rose colored bias glasses in previous posts that you just ignored.. last point on your obsession with playoff record.. a mediocre coach would not have made it 50 percent of their coaching career to the playoffs.. Hilarious  

Who Dey   :andy:
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2017, 11:57 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Already explained without your rose colored bias glasses in previous posts that you just ignored.. last point on your obsession with playoff record.. a mediocre coach would not have made it 50 percent of their coaching career to the playoffs.. Hilarious  

Who Dey   :andy:

The only point that you made is that he took a bad team and made them mediocre. Mediocre teams make it into the playoffs every year. Marvin had a very hard time making the playoffs when he didn't have Dalton; Palmer was a good QB and he was only able to make 2 playoff appearances with him. Just because he raised the team from a bad one to a mediocre one doesn't mean that he's a good coach. I don't know how you don't understand that. The only time Marvin constantly went to the playoffs is when he had HC material coaches as his OC and DC. Basically you can make a very easy case that he was carried to the playoffs with the talent on the field and his coordinators. If he didn't have such a consistently poor prime time / playoff record you might have a point, but every time we go against a good team (most of the time in prime time, and almost always in the playoffs) we normally lose. If you can't beat good teams then your team isn't good. You have no real argument that Marvin is a good coach. Nice try though.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2017, 07:00 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: This is a popular narrative, but I'm not sure there's much substance to it. Marv turned over 60% of the roster in his first year. He and Tobin (with input from position coaches) have been shaping this roster from day 1. Of course Mike probably plays a big role with coveting compensatory picks and avoiding free agency, but that's never changed.

Mike said himself that he's only overruled Marv on 1 decision, and I think we all know what decision that was.

.....and I'll add he inherited a round 1 QB, a very good o-line, and a couple good wideouts.  The foundation was already there.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-09-2017, 06:43 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Imagine 88 year old Marvin hoisting the Lombardi trophy from his rascal.

Marvin will be our Joe Paterno.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2017, 12:42 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: The only point that you made is that he took a bad team and made them mediocre. Mediocre teams make it into the playoffs every year. Marvin had a very hard time making the playoffs when he didn't have Dalton; Palmer was a good QB and he was only able to make 2 playoff appearances with him. Just because he raised the team from a bad one to a mediocre one doesn't mean that he's a good coach. I don't know how you don't understand that. The only time Marvin constantly went to the playoffs is when he had HC material coaches as his OC and DC. Basically you can make a very easy case that he was carried to the playoffs with the talent on the field and his coordinators. If he didn't have such a consistently poor prime time / playoff record you might have a point, but every time we go against a good team (most of the time in prime time, and almost always in the playoffs) we normally lose. If you can't beat good teams then your team isn't good. You have no real argument that Marvin is a good coach. Nice try though.

Well give you this even though your posts are lacking much logic in this thread at least you're good for a good laugh so what you're saying is since only 12 teams out of 32  make the playoffs numerous teams  are mediocre that makes the playoffs that makes no sense but you keep me laughing
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2017, 07:51 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Well give you this even though your posts are lacking much logic in this thread at least you're good for a good laugh so what you're saying is since only 12 teams out of 32  make the playoffs numerous teams  are mediocre that makes the playoffs that makes no sense but you keep me laughing

Lol, the Texans were a mediocre team that went to the playoffs last year. They were bad in 2015 and made the playoffs. That's just the last two years. You could do that almost every year. I guess your football history is lacking.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2017, 10:32 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Lol, the Texans were a mediocre team that went to the playoffs last year. They were bad in 2015 and made the playoffs. That's just the last two years. You could do that almost every year. I guess your football history is lacking.

The Texans had the best defense in the league last year. Hardly mediocre. 

Reply/Quote
(08-10-2017, 10:58 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The Texans had the best defense in the league last year. Hardly mediocre. 

They weren't even in the top 10 in points allowed. I don't see how you could have them as the best defense in the league 
Reply/Quote