Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Marvin Lewis misses practice today
(08-08-2017, 07:33 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Correct, NFL Network just said he has a blood clot in his ankle. They said the Bengals are reporting it minor and should only miss a couple days.

I just get a little nervous when the Bengals say an injury is not serious.  I'm still waiting for Rich Braham to come back from his "bone bruise."
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2017, 06:59 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Paul Alexander has held the title as Assistant HC for some time now. I figured he would be the one to take over in Marvin's absence.

Of course wishing Marvin a speedy and full recovery

Maybe they figure he has enough to worry about with this mess of an O line lol
Reply/Quote
Apparently it's a "Baker's cyst" which isn't serious and just needs drained. Wish Marv well in his recovery.

I do find it interesting that Simmons takes over the reigns, regardless of how long he's been around. Guenther has been around for a very long time himself.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Prayers go out to him. Hopefully he will be ok.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2017, 08:16 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Apparently it's a "Baker's cyst" which isn't serious and just needs drained. Wish Marv well in his recovery.

I do find it interesting that Simmons takes over the reigns, regardless of how long he's been around. Guenther has been around for a very long time himself.

That's a heckuva lot different than a blood clot, but the docs and Marv were right to be cautious if they weren't sure what they were dealing with. Hope his recovery is speedy and complete.

Simmons seems to be universally liked, whereas some of the other coaches have their detractors. That might have factored in the decision.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2017, 07:42 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: I think the reason why it's Simmons and not the OC or DC is because it's not serious and the OC and DC are busy getting their halves ready for the season.

OC DC ST are the three major  assistant coaching positions on any team.  Simmons has been there the longest, therefore he gets hte nod.  Seems simple and logical to me
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2017, 06:59 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Paul Alexander has held the title as Assistant HC for some time now. I figured he would be the one to take over in Marvin's absence.

Thank God the Maestro isn't taking over!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000827273/article/marvin-lewis-will-miss-time-with-bengals-due-to-cyst

Someone is lying.

Baker's cyst are cause by a weakness in the joint capsule of the knee, not the ankle. There are no medications available to break up the fluid in a Baker's cyst. They are usually treated with an anti-inflammatory like Motrin. If conservative treatment (rest, ice, compression, elevation, NSAIDS) don't help, they occasionally do surgery. But, they are likely to return.

I guess Marvin doesn't want the Bucs to have a competitive advantage by knowing his true diagnosis.
Reply/Quote
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

You've been following along and ya, not a good day for the league-owned network. Several huge mistakes there.

If you kept refreshing/updating the link you'd see we went with leg issues -- which has always been accurate.

Simmons makes sense - at this juncture you need to keep the OL coach, OC, DC in place running their own guys.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2017, 09:37 PM)jowczarski Wrote: Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

You've been following along and ya, not a good day for the league-owned network. Several huge mistakes there.

If you kept refreshing/updating the link you'd see we went with leg issues -- which has always been accurate.

Simmons makes sense - at this juncture you need to keep the OL coach, OC, DC in place running their own guys.

Jim, I'm not sure it is a case of mistakes as much as deliberate misinformation. Reporters aren't medical providers which makes giving you misinformation that much easier. Unless you're cross referencing the information they give you with a medical provider you aren't going to know a Baker's cyst usually communicates with the knee joint. Thus if you used a medicine to break up the fluid in a Baker's cyst, you would break up all the fluid in the knee. This has been going on during Marvin Lewis' entire tenure beginning with the Rich Braham tibial plateau fracture being deliberately misrepresented as a bone bruise in the media.
Reply/Quote
I think it's a very smart decision to have Simmons "Be the Guy" Take the guy with the most experience with the organization yet in a position that's pretty easy to fill by someone else, or to do both Temp HC/X Coach. This effects the day to day routine the least.

As for Marvin, I know we give him hell on here but he really is an all around good guy. So sports aside from one human to another, I pray for a full and fast recovery. Godspeed Coach Lewis.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2017, 07:05 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: True, but still. Everything I've read recently pointed towards Guenther being the next man in line. Of course, this is only temporary and its early preseason so it really doesn't matter who it is.

So a nothing burger lets move on
Reply/Quote
I don't like Lewis as a coach very much. I think he's the definition of mediocre, but I hope he get's well soon.
Reply/Quote

Marvin has more sense than that.....he knows he's just Mikey's pet.

Godspeed Marv, hope all is well, and wishing a speedy recovery.  We can say all we want about his coaching abilities, but the fact remains, Marvin is a class act and good people.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-09-2017, 09:35 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: I don't like Lewis as a coach very much. I think he's the definition of mediocre, but I hope he get's well soon.

to help me better understand your definition of mediocre, name another coach today in the NFL that fits your definition of mediocre so I can get a better picture.  

thanks
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2017, 10:06 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: to help me better understand your definition of mediocre, name another coach today in the NFL that fits your definition of mediocre so I can get a better picture.  

thanks

Maybe Jack Del Rio. I might put him over Marvin at this point though. Marvin has a losing record w/o Dalton and hasn't ever won a playoff game. Sure, getting to the playoffs 7 times (5 with Dalton) is good, but he should have won at least once if he was better than mediocre.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2017, 10:06 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: to help me better understand your definition of mediocre, name another coach today in the NFL that fits your definition of mediocre so I can get a better picture.  

thanks

Marvin Lewis has a career winning percentage of .520 (counting the playoffs). While I believe that's the best among Bengals head coaches, that's still a basically .500 win-loss percentage. .500 is quintessentially mediocre.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2017, 10:33 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Marvin Lewis has a career winning percentage of .520 (counting the playoffs). While I believe that's the best among Bengals head coaches, that's still a basically .500 win-loss percentage. .500 is quintessentially mediocre.

Not much of a Big Deal.. when 9-7 is a successful season that some years can get you in the playoffs..  Even a good year at 10-6  isn't a huge differential.     And there were some very bad years that bog that down.

Overall hes the most successful and Consitant HC we have had.  and more so than many teams around the league have.  AS you don't see a lot of teams going to the playoffs 5 straight years.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2017, 10:37 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Not much of a Big Deal.. when 9-7 is a successful season that some years can get you in the playoffs..  Even a good year at 10-6  isn't a huge differential.     And there were some very bad years that bog that down.

Overall hes the most successful and Consitant HC we have had.  and more so than many teams around the league have.  AS you don't see a lot of teams going to the playoffs 5 straight years.

Don't get me wrong, I like Lewis. I think he's done all he can here and, as such, I'm ready for a new HC, but I still like what he's done for us.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2017, 10:40 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Don't get me wrong, I like Lewis. I think he's done all he can here and, as such, I'm ready for a new HC, but I still like what he's done for us.

I'm not ready for a new HC for the sake of having a new HC...  if it was the RIGHT head coach then sure... but change for the sake of change isn't always good.
Reply/Quote