Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin Lewis speaks out about the refs
(12-05-2017, 01:00 PM)grampahol Wrote: Let's be honest here..How many of you back when you were playing football or any other sport actually played better after a pep talk?
The only fond memories I have of anything remotely resembling a pep talk were pep rallies when my favorite cheerleaders showed off their cute little tight asses..  That might have seemed worth the effort, but some curmungeonly old bastard telling me no pain no gain didn't exactly inspire me a hell of a lot.. 

Shit, after my coaches pep talk I was ready to go into the opposing locker room and start fighting the whole team! It's like I don't need to hear my wife moan, but damn it makes me feel good. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2017, 01:00 PM)grampahol Wrote: Let's be honest here..How many of you back when you were playing football or any other sport actually played better after a pep talk?
The only fond memories I have of anything remotely resembling a pep talk were pep rallies when my favorite cheerleaders showed off their cute little tight asses..  That might have seemed worth the effort, but some curmungeonly old bastard telling me no pain no gain didn't exactly inspire me a hell of a lot.. 

I did play on teams where the coach was hard ass and held people accountable and fought for his team.  I have also played on teams where the coach was over his head and players were lacking commitment/discipline.  I know which team performed better. 

I don't blame AJ one bit if he is of the mindset of "eff this, I am not going across the middle and getting killed just so some dumbass can undo it all with a stupid personal foul or pulling up versus making the tackle".  No ramifications for the nonsense that goes on.  Why would any good player not want to get the hell out of here?  No commitment to winning or excellence.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2017, 12:21 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Here's what he said:

Here's what he had to say about halftime adjustments:

I can't wait for a new HC. I'm grateful for taking us from being bad to average, Merv, but you need to go. Like, NOW. :angry:
I suppose there were words to this....Now it's just blank on what he had to say. 

Since Marvin is coaching his last 4 games now, he probably might as well speak, or forever hold his piece. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2017, 02:46 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: they ask real stupid and pointed questions you would get tired of their BS after a few years too

Thats not true at all. A lot of their questions are absolutely credible. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
ochocincos Wrote:Marvin Lewis has a very old school approach to his job.
His approach is each player is responsible for doing the right thing because they are a professional and getting paid to do so. And in his mind, professionals don't need true training (coaching) to do their jobs better, just put forth more effort and execute because that is the expectation of a professional. No "pep talk" will or should make a difference in how a professional performs because he/she should always be performing at his/her highest level at all times and should not need motivation.

Actually, I kinda agree with this mindset, provided you have the right personnel and the right coaching, which the Bengals do not. For a long time Marvin had guys like Whitworth to do that "pep talk" stuff for him. All you need to do is compare the rah-rah tunnel stuff this year to past years.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2017, 03:24 PM)snowy Wrote: Actually, I kinda agree with this mindset, provided you have the right personnel and the right coaching, which the Bengals do not. For a long time Marvin had guys like Whitworth to do that "pep talk" stuff for him. All you need to do is compare the rah-rah tunnel stuff this year to past years.

Dalton's pep talks are some of the worst I've ever heard, that's for sure.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote