Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin Lewis still saying WE
Watched Marvin on ESPN yesterday afternoon on NFL Live. He was an analyst and kept saying WE when talking about the Bengals. I guess it takes a while to separate from a team that you coached 16 years. lol He did a good job on the show.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2019, 12:23 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Watched Marvin on ESPN yesterday afternoon on NFL Live. He was an analyst and kept saying WE when talking about the Bengals. I guess it takes a while to separate from a team that you coached 16 years. lol He did a good job on the show.

Most definitely. 

Hey, if Bill Cowher can do it, as awful as he is, Marvin could be a star.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Liked his comment about Mixon’s “infectious personality.”
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
As much as people like to dump on guys like Boomer, Collinsworth, etc for not fully embracing the Bengals, I think it's kind of refreshing to see a guy on a national level still identify as a Bengal through and through. For all the complaints against Marvin over the years I am glad that there seems to be no hard feelings and that they seemed to part amicably.

I'm sure they'll be plenty of people in here smearing the guy shortly, though.
Reply/Quote
I was reading an article about this. He's been part of this team for so long it will take awhile. He made comments about the Bengals needing to fix the OL. So, it's obvious he knew how bad they were and even made the comment "We" in talking about it. I think he knew mid-season he was on his way out. Good luck to him anyway. Don't hate the guy, just glad he's no longer going to be the coach. The OL has struggled for more than 1 season and his lack of urgency to repair it then, is just another part of why fans were giving the finger to the organization.

Reply/Quote
I tuned into an AAF game to see what it was all about and sure as shinola Marvin Lewis was doing the commentary. Wacky. Also, can you compare Marvin's amicable parting with the Bengals to Collinsworth and Boomer? Those guys both played for Paul Brown, and in Boomer's case, played for Mike Brown when he was actively driving the organization into the ground.

I don't dislike Marvin, but is funny to hear how his "shrug and meh" personality is endearing now that he isn't on the sidelines.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2019, 01:40 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I tuned into an AAF game to see what it was all about and sure as shinola Marvin Lewis was doing the commentary.  Wacky.

How was he?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(02-13-2019, 01:40 PM)McC Wrote: How was he?

I was only half-watching because I was trying to get stuff done around the house.  He was Marvin Lewis.  It was fairly enlightened and calm.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2019, 01:44 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I was only half-watching because I was trying to get stuff done around the house.  He was Marvin Lewis.  It was fairly enlightened and calm.

With the weight of 20 years off him, he could end up being very good.

Reply/Quote
(02-13-2019, 01:49 PM)McC Wrote: With the weight of 20 years off him, he could end up being very good.

The weight of what?  Finally walking away from the Bengals even though Mike Brown wanted to keep him after yet another disappointing season?  Ehh, I don't think Marvin was sweating it here.
Reply/Quote
The fact Marvin still says "we" shows, to me, that he probably didn't want to leave the team.
This is much better than him trashing the organization/team the second he was gone.

Related note...if the Bengals keep having DC candidate after candidate decline the role, what are the chances we see Marvin back as the official DC? I'm thinking this could become a reality with each passing week.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-13-2019, 01:57 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The fact Marvin still says "we" shows, to me, that he probably didn't want to leave the team.
This is much better than him trashing the organization/team the second he was gone.

Related note...if the Bengals keep having DC candidate after candidate decline the role, what are the chances we see Marvin back as the official DC? I'm thinking this could become a reality with each passing week.

The Bengals FO is notoriously closed off from the outside world, but I think it may have been more like Marvin declined to come back and that led the FO to go full rebuild on the staff.  If Marvin Lewis wanted to be the HC of the Bengals he'd at least be here in 2019, if not until Mike Brown died.
Reply/Quote
I honestly have no qualms about bringing him back as the DC, from a football standpoint.

The problem is from a PR, team morale, etc. standpoint; as mentioned, it could undermine the new regime and potentially destroy something before it even gets off it's feet.

He knows how to scheme; he knows how to call plays and most importantly, he knows how to play to certain player's strengths; while the big play numbers (turnovers, sacks, TFLs) were down, EVERYONE on the defense played better after he took over play-calling and the results show that as well.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Well he is still on the payroll.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
I like Marvin and glad that he still feels a kinship with the franchise. He did many positive things here and it was definitely time to move on, but I do genuinely like the guy and wish him well.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(02-13-2019, 01:44 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I was only half-watching because I was trying to get stuff done around the house.  He was Marvin Lewis.  It was fairly enlightened and calm.

Yeah I checked some of it out too.

While pretty monotone, it was interesting to hear him talk about defensive coverages and talk about alignments and what the offense was going to do based on motion.

For his first time, I think he did extremely well
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2019, 01:40 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I tuned into an AAF game to see what it was all about and sure as shinola Marvin Lewis was doing the commentary. Wacky. Also, can you compare Marvin's amicable parting with the Bengals to Collinsworth and Boomer? Those guys both played for Paul Brown, and in Boomer's case, played for Mike Brown when he was actively driving the organization into the ground.

I don't dislike Marvin, but is funny to hear how his "shrug and meh" personality is endearing now that he isn't on the sidelines.

Don't know whatcha got til it's gone...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2019, 02:46 PM)jason Wrote: Don't know whatcha got til it's gone...

They paved paradise and put up a parking lot.

Reply/Quote
(02-13-2019, 02:46 PM)jason Wrote: Don't know whatcha got til it's gone...

We shall see.  Right now it's like we've just gotten divorced from a long and disappointing marriage and we just snagged a young chick that is the complete opposite of our old, boring wife.  Sure, we are in bliss now, but lord knows this might not work out!
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2019, 02:19 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Well he is still on the payroll.

I don't believe so the bengals had a option they could have picked up for 2019 and didn't.
Reply/Quote