Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin Lewis welcomes more experienced coaching staff
Hires: Jim Haslett as LB coach, Kevin Coyle returns as DB coach, Jacob Burney as D-Line coach and Bill Lazor as the new QB coach

http://m.bengals.com/s/30838/360?itemUri=1341131871/4511112153127130251211479612
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
Well I don;t think some of this was just by coaches moving on.. I think some of these changes were by design.. this is a large turnover for a coaching staff I believe part is because of our success as a team and part is changes that Marvin deemed needed.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Could this be a move to reign in our Defense and establish more order?
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2016, 06:41 PM)treee Wrote: Could this be a move to reign in our Defense and establish more order?

It just reflects the type of team we have.... We have a veteran team. We need technically sound coaches to work technique. We don't need motivation. Expierenced coaches bring more about being a pro.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2016, 06:09 PM)Trademark Wrote: Hires: Jim Haslett  as LB coach, Kevin Coyle returns as DB coach, Jacob Burney as D-Line coach and Bill Lazor as the new QB coach

http://m.bengals.com/s/30838/360?itemUri=1341131871/4511112153127130251211479612

Experience seems to be the key in these hirings.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Doesn't matter.... In the end, we still have Giggles as our head coach. Whether experienced or young guns, the coaching staff is handicapped from the start...

I've been quiet on Lewis. He's a decent coach but we need to go in a new direction.

Reply/Quote
I'm loving it.

I love the fact that it says Marvin chose them because it says that Marvin picked who he wanted based on the type of team and style of play he wants to play. Mike said a long time ago that Marvin had the most control of any coach that's ever been here and people laughed at me for saying it, but now it's becoming obvious. I think it's a great model for Marvin to do all of this and take a GM out of the equation. Don't get me wrong because I'd still love a GM just to make things go smoother on the business side and be able to take care of all that once Marvin and the other coaches decide who they want, but the system isn't as bad as the media and everyone else portray it to be.

Another thing that excites me is Dalton seems eager and excited about working with Lazor, the new QB's coach, and they're already looking at the playbook, which makes me excited because Zampese already knows what Dalton can do well, and I have to think that he'll take input from Lazor to structure out the offense and game plans:

Quote:Dalton wasted no time coming in to greet Lazor Monday during his first day on the job at Paul Brown Stadium and the two spent a good chunk of the afternoon chatting over the playbook.

"That's a good sign," Lazor said of first impressions. "Eager. Excited. Into it. He walks in at the end of the season and wants to talk about the future and how things can get better and that makes it fun to come to work."

Sounds like Dalton knows that this team can make a deep run in the playoffs, which we should have had AT LEAST ONE WIN in the playoffs this year, but the refs bet on the Steelers.

I've heard people say that they're upset with all of these changes, but I think the new blood and new ideas will only help this team to take the next step, and it seems like the players (at least Dalton) are buying into it, also!

Let's get it started!
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2016, 06:41 PM)treee Wrote: Could this be a move to reign in our Defense and establish more order?

It is odd to me that Paul Guenter's name never seems to come up when talking about the lack of discipline on the defense, just Marvin.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2016, 07:48 PM)tlotharw Wrote: It is odd to me that Paul Guenter's name never seems to come up when talking about the lack of discipline on the defense, just Marvin.

It starts at the top.

You can't have order if your boss isn't demanding it.

Even if Guenther is, which he might be, it might resonate with the players if Marvin isn't demanding order or discipline. 
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2016, 08:18 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: It starts at the top.

Even if Guenther is, which he might be, it might resonate with the players if Marvin isn't demanding order or discipline. 

What about when Zimmer was here ? Were there defensive discipline problems ?
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2016, 08:31 PM)Sabretooth Wrote: What about when Zimmer was here ? Were there defensive discipline problems ?

No.  Burfict made the pro bowl when Zimmer was here.
Reply/Quote
Im ok with hiring the more experiences guys. I think this was a move based on the chance that a guy like Haslett has worked with players like Vontaze before.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Really excited for this revamped coaching staff, especially on the Dline and LBs. I think the Dline has gotten by on raw talent and effort alone for years and the LBs have been the weakest position group on the entire team for a long time. Would like to see if some new life from the top can help jump start some blood flowing in the young guys.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2016, 08:18 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: It starts at the top.

Really because of 1 game? marvin has kept a pretty tight ship during his 13 years for the most part.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2016, 09:30 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: No.  Burfict made the pro bowl when Zimmer was here.

Chances are, if he had played a full season this year, he would have been a PBer, considering how good he was.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
It is really difficult to get excited about some new position coaches. I'm sorry, but it just is. Marvin is well into his second decade as Head Coach, and while the team has improved in the regular season, the end of season results have always been the same. The team has never been playing past Wild Card Weekend.

People can talk about the number of coordinators who have gone on to be head coaches, the number of position coaches who have gone on to be coordinators, etc. At the end of the day, the results for the Cincinnati Bengals have been the same. We can talk about how the referees "cheated" the team, how the NFL has a "bias" against the Bengals, but the results are the same. Marvin has coached this team through numerous players, position coaches, coordinators, multiple reboots, and it is always the same. I'm sure I'll be in a different frame of mind next fall, but for right now a few new position coaches does not do much for me...
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2016, 06:09 PM)Trademark Wrote: Hires: Jim Haslett  as LB coach, Kevin Coyle returns as DB coach, Jacob Burney as D-Line coach and Bill Lazor as the new QB coach

I don't really care for the Haslett hire, from what London Fletcher said he just held that group back.

Love the return of Coyle and it was time for a change for damn sure with a new D-line coach even if i know nothing about him.

More info on Burney and Lazor would be most appreciated.
Reply/Quote
All things considered, I love love love these hires.

The Haslett hire is so good. You have to remember the guy recently spent a year with Penn State. He is going to know the college game well, not just Penn State but the whole league. I am sure he will give great insight come draft day this year. To have a former coach of the year and five year HC as a LB coach is pretty impressive. If you add to that getting Coyle back and adding Lazor, I can't see how this isnt an upgrade.

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2016, 03:17 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I don't really care for the Haslett hire, from what London Fletcher said he just held that group back.

Love the return of Coyle and it was time for a change for damn sure with a new D-line coach even if i know nothing about him.

I love the Haslett hire,  a experienced head Coach  that has taken his team to the playoffs which will easily be respected by his position players  is always a plus
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2016, 03:17 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I don't really care for the Haslett hire, from what London Fletcher said he just held that group back.

To be fair, he was coaching a team that was a mess. Dan Snyder has made Washington a joke. Look at how many people were blown away at them winning the division this year. Also, the guy is a position coach. Getting a guy who has NFL HC/DC experience as a position coach is big for us.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote