Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin Lewis with a quick "No," when asked about possibly testing younger players...
(12-20-2016, 07:33 AM)kevin Wrote: ...and if he comes out and says he wants to lose the next two games, then you would want him fired.

Look, this isn't preseason.  This is no time to start the second string....You play out the season....NO QUIT.....As Coach his goal now is to WIN the next two games and keep the team together. Keep them playing hard. Keep them focused....Now I saw Bengals coaches that could NOT do this. Sam Wyche was one of them, he lost all control that last awful season.  It is sad when the players quit on the coach and start clearing out their locker with games left.   I remember the lousy clubhouse attitudes of players on those 1990s teams.....I'll say this, very seldom has the team quit on Coach Lewis.  When they do, player changes soon follow. 

YES, THE BENGALS ARE OUT TO BEAT HOUSTON......and then FINISH WITH A WIN IN CINCY AGAINST BALTIMORE.....OF COURSE HE WANTS TO WIN THE LAST TWO GAMES......ANY COACH THAT WANTS TO LOSE THE LAST TWO GAMES WOULDN"T BE WORTH ANYTHING......Dalton wants to play......AJ GREEN wants to play.....Hill wants to play.....Atkins, Dunlap, Burfict want to play.......NO, THEY ARE NOT SENDING IN THE PRACTICE TEAM.   THIS IS NOT PRESEASON. 

THIS is a TEST of a Coach....No longer in play-off picture, Does the team still play hard, or Do they quit on the Coach....This is when Coaches have to prove they can keep the team together....I saw too many Bengals coaches who didn't and the team was so out of control at seasons end that The Bengals were the joke of all sports.  I do not want that now. NO QUIT....They get PAID.  Fans PAY MONEY...The NETWORKS PAY MONEY....The Commercials PAY MONEY.....Way too much MONEY and the NFL DOES NOT want teams now sending out their practice squads.  It's not good for the NFL, it's NOT GOOD for anybody.....YOU PLAY OUT THE SEASON..,.....This isn't Pee Wee Football, My Word, THIS IS THE NFL.  The stars and starters play because teams and TV and too much money being paid for the stars not to play.  Look, these bench warmers get the chance in practice all week to show the coach they are worthy. ......Coach Lewis is right to say the goal is to win out and no quit.

This is not Pee Wee Football.  We aren't trying to see what the area school has for next year...THIS IS THE NFL.....CBS, FOX, NBC, ESPN and NFL NETWORK are spending a ton of money and the last thing they want at seasons end is teams benching their starters and these games to look like the awful, awful preseason games. ...The Networks just would not put up with it, nor would NFL Headquarters or Owners or Fans......Why one of the worst teams I ever saw was the Bears with few wins, but Coach Halas and Gale Sayers and Dick Butkus were trying to win to the last game, because it is THE NFL, not pee wee football.

I don't think giving more snaps to some of the younger guys and wanting to win out are mutually exclusive.  

With due respect to someone like Karlos Dansby if he is subbed out for Vigil a bit more do you really think that is fatal to our chances of winning?  

The younger guys will have a point to prove and yes they may make some mistakes but let them make it against the Texans in a game that will not change our playoff chances...I'd rather them not learn on the road .vs. the Steelers early next year when it will matter a lot more.

Re: your point on Lewis.  I do agree and think it is to his credit that he has always found a way to keep the team pretty much united and facing the same direction even when things have not gone well
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 06:00 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: At the times of our draft, we get really high grades. Granted drafts are crap shoots...but how many of these guys receive significant playing time in Years 1 and 2?

You have to actually play young guys to develop them.

This is complete horseshit. Not now, because the season is lost, but in a regular season where we are in the playoff mix, are you really suggesting we play rookies in place of people like Adam Jones, Kirkpatrick, Geno, AJ, etc.? This little gem was mentioned on the board and has been parroted every since. You don't play rookies in front of starters, especially Pro Bowl starters,  just to see what you have in them. That is what practice, OTAs, Training Camps, etc are for. And then the rookies get to watch and learn on the sidelines where the position coaches can be in their ears. We draft for the future, not the present in most cases. Otherwise every year we would be sitting vets and playing rookies to see what they have. It's complete nonsense.
Reply/Quote
Marv is such an idiot. Use the next couple of games to evaluate your young guys and get them in game reps.

We all saw what happened this year when some of the younger guys were called on to step up and play. They weren't ready.

So stupid.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 05:20 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: This just scrolled on the ESPN Right-side feed. THIS is one of the reasons Marvin must go.

Katherine Terrell
ESPN Staff Writer

Marvin Lewis with a quick "No," when asked about possibly testing younger players because they're out of the playoffs. Said they're going to do anything they can to win the next two games.

I listened to it, he's such a smug prick during press conferences.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Marvin is a bigger problem on this team than Mike Brown. Seriously. There are people on this message board I'd rather see calling the shots than him.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 09:14 AM)BengalChris Wrote: The present is not next season. Too bad we didn't bring back Jackson.

I'd even play McCarron to try and raise his trade value at this point. Dalton's been beat up enough this year.

According to some, that's his own damn fault! LMAO

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Regardless of the reasons I have no problem with still trying to win the last few games with the best players you have. No player on the team, new or old wants to lose even if they're not going to the playoffs. The idea that you're going to see if the young players can cut it or not while not trying to win doesn't mean squat. Putting all young guys out there knowing that you'll probably lose doesn't get you much so they might as well go out on a high note instead of just hoping that the guys who didn't play much all season will suddenly turn into superstars just because they got to play the last few games isn't proving anything. 
I don't have a problem letting them play, but the whole point of even bothering to play is to win the game, not to see if the guys who couldn't get on the field all season are going to shine in a losing effort. Think about the starters sitting on the bench watching the team get beaten badly then imagine them even wanting to return the following season.. Doesn't make sense..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 12:49 PM)grampahol Wrote: Regardless of the reasons I have no problem with still trying to win the last few games with the best players you have. No player on the team, new or old wants to lose even if they're not going to the playoffs. The idea that you're going to see if the young players can cut it or not while not trying to win doesn't mean squat. Putting all young guys out there knowing that you'll probably lose doesn't get you much so they might as well go out on a high note instead of just hoping that the guys who didn't play much all season will suddenly turn into superstars just because they got to play the last few games isn't proving anything. 
I don't have a problem letting them play, but the whole point of even bothering to play is to win the game, not to see if the guys who couldn't get on the field all season are going to shine in a losing effort. Think about the starters sitting on the bench watching the team get beaten badly then imagine them even wanting to return the following season.. Doesn't make sense..

Here's where it makes sense:  you have FAs that you won't be able to sign, or don't want to sign.  Now is the time to get their potential replacements valuable game experience that can't be simulated in practice.  If they're good enough to develop, you get them experience, if they're turds, you cut 'em.  Look what happened this season, we lost Hall and Nelson, and spent half the season getting guys like Dennard (still ain't up to snuff) and Williams up to speed.  DreK was way behind the 8 ball when he became a starter.  Now, it looks like Pacman is getting chased down by father time, and we don't have any experienced depth behind him.  This season is DONE, let's get started on making next season better......or......just roll the dice, again.

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 10:59 AM)Wyche Wrote: According to some, that's his own damn fault! LMAO

If only he could get the ball out before it's snapped.... what a loser.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 01:23 PM)Wyche Wrote: Here's where it makes sense:  you have FAs that you won't be able to sign, or don't want to sign.  Now is the time to get their potential replacements valuable game experience that can't be simulated in practice.  If they're good enough to develop, you get them experience, if they're turds, you cut 'em.  Look what happened this season, we lost Hall and Nelson, and spent half the season getting guys like Dennard (still ain't up to snuff) and Williams up to speed.  DreK was way behind the 8 ball when he became a starter.  Now, it looks like Pacman is getting chased down by father time, and we don't have any experienced depth behind him.  This season is DONE, let's get started on making next season better......or......just roll the dice, again.

The extended game time/ real experience is important I feel.

Often in the off seasons have we heard about Xy & z player looking really great in practice (Ced, Dennard, Vigil) and it does not always translate.  Proper game experience in a dead duck season is valuable....its the one and only advantage /positive we have over playoff teams so why not use it???

Look at Fisher...if he only got the first few snaps you saw .vs. the Eagles I would have said he's another Ced level bust - nearly got AD killed when he whiffed on Brandon Graham early on. Now he's just finished his first start and it was not a complete disaster with even Lap saying he could be a keeper.  If he shows even more in the last 2 games that maybe one less position off the shopping list...

Look at Erickson...if you only gave him the first game or two you would have said it was a mistake to cut Tate.  Suddenly he gets more experience and he's become a return asset and cheaper then the vet incumbent.

now think if Vigil shows something, Westerman shows something,Derron Smith shows up better than Williams at Free safety,  TJ Johnson , Dennard on outside CB....

Its a chance to see what we really have in these guys and if 1 or 2 of them take the opportunity with both hands and in the process take some positions off the board as a need then that can only be good
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 03:00 PM)sonofstat Wrote: The extended game time/ real experience is important I feel.

Often in the off seasons have we heard about Xy & z player looking really great in practice (Ced, Dennard, Vigil) and it does not always translate.  Proper game experience in a dead duck season is valuable....its the one and only advantage /positive we have over playoff teams so why not use it???

Look at Fisher...if he only got the first few snaps you saw .vs. the Eagles I would have said he's another Ced level bust - nearly got AD killed when he whiffed on Brandon Graham early on. Now he's just finished his first start and it was not a complete disaster with even Lap saying he could be a keeper.  If he shows even more in the last 2 games that maybe one less position off the shopping list...

Look at Erickson...if you only gave him the first game or two you would have said it was a mistake to cut Tate.  Suddenly he gets more experience and he's become a return asset and cheaper then the vet incumbent.

now think if Vigil shows something, Westerman shows something,Derron Smith shows up better than Williams at Free safety,  TJ Johnson , Dennard on outside CB....

Its a chance to see what we really have in these guys and if 1 or 2 of them take the opportunity with both hands and in the process take some positions off the board as a need then that can only be good

Precisely my good man, you get it. :andy:

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 03:00 PM)sonofstat Wrote: The extended game time/ real experience is important I feel.

Lol nope Marvin will continue to shove Dansby and Maualuga out there rather than give a guy like Nick Vigil more experience.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote