Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin: McCarron won't be traded
If someone offers something nice for McCarron, I feel like you have to take it. A backup is good, but a 1st round pick, or maybe a 2nd and 4th is better. While it's nice McCarron is on rookie salary, I look at what the Dolphins did with Matt Moore this offseason. 2yr/$3.5m. More than McCarron's remaining 2yr/$1.4m, but who wouldn't trade $2.1m of cap space for a 1st or a 2nd and 4th round pick? Starting QBs are hard to find. Backups are not.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Carson Palmer was also never going to be traded.

It's just coach speak to let other teams know that they can't just throw a low round pick and hope to get McCarron. If someone calls right before the draft or during the 2nd round and offer a sweet deal. You have to believe that the team would, at least, strongly consider the deal.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Think it all depends on the price. Don't think a team would be willing to give up a 2nd round pick for McCarron. And can't really blame them. He's a cheap QB that hasn't really showed that much. He's unproven, was essentially a rookie, and really wasn't that impressive. Sure, there's building blocks, but he never really had that high of a ceiling anyway.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2016, 06:29 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I look at it like this. If Dalton goes down, it's going to be significant drop off no matter who it is. McCarron managed to beat 2 terrible teams (Balt & SF) and couldn't win the big games (Denver and Pitt).

I'd rather take the draft pick than rent that for 2 more years. We could draft or sign a decent backup and I think our coaches did a good job of "managing" McCarron, so I'm confident they could do the same with someone else. It's not likely that Dalton will miss time anyway. That play was a major fluke.

i look at it a different way.. look what happen to teams like Dallas and Houston who had no viable backup QB..  the Bengals do have a viable QB option behind Dalton... you can;t assume Dalton stays healthy.. and if McCarron was so subpar there would be chance at a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick anyway
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2016, 02:13 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: If someone offers something nice for McCarron, I feel like you have to take it. A backup is good, but a 1st round pick, or maybe a 2nd and 4th is better. While it's nice McCarron is on rookie salary, I look at what the Dolphins did with Matt Moore this offseason. 2yr/$3.5m. More than McCarron's remaining 2yr/$1.4m, but who wouldn't trade $2.1m of cap space for a 1st or a 2nd and 4th round pick? Starting QBs are hard to find. Backups are not.

Tell that to Dallas, Houston, Ravens, Bills etc... you underrate the importance of a solid backup in this injury prone QB league
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2016, 07:46 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Yates, Flynn and Vick are decent backup options that are available and no matter how thin people say a draft class is, there always seems to be some decent options available.

I feel like the only team TJ Yates has ever beaten is the Cincinnati Bengals 

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2016, 04:28 AM)Bryan Wrote: I feel like the only team TJ Yates has ever beaten is the Cincinnati Bengals 

Is he a free agent? Sign him so we never have to face him again.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2016, 04:28 AM)Bryan Wrote: I feel like the only team TJ Yates has ever beaten is the Cincinnati Bengals 

Hmm, I realize you are joking but I'd wager at least 50% of his few wins are against the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2016, 11:09 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Hmm, I realize you are joking but I'd wager at least 50% of his few wins are against the Bengals.

In the 9 total games he's started, he is 5-4.

2 of those wins of them came against us. He didn't start against us last year so I'm not officially counting that, though,
I might as well.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/Y/YateT.00.htm
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2016, 12:05 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: i look at it a different way.. look what happen to teams like Dallas and Houston who had no viable backup QB..  the Bengals do have a viable QB option behind Dalton... you can;t assume Dalton stays healthy.. and if McCarron was so subpar there would be chance at a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick anyway

Houston didn't technically play a backup QB last year. They meant to start Mallet...he was just awful because he wasn't putting in the necessary work. He looked pretty solid for the Ravens though, once he knew his career was on the line. Dallas was awful without Romo because - unlike Cincy - they have a bad defense and they decided that the NFL's leading rusher wasn't all that important to sign. Dez Bryant also missed 7+ games.

As for Dalton's health, it's not about "assuming", it's about being realistic. Dalton started 77 straight games before slapping his thumb against the turf trying to tackle a 300 lb lineman who made a flukey INT. Dalton has been very durable and doesn't get knocked around a lot thanks to his quick release times and great pass blockers in front of him. 

And who is to say someone like Flynn would be any less viable than McCarron? Flynn has some good stretches in relief as well. So how is he any worse?

I don't think McCarron will get a 2nd or 3rd round pick. I'm just saying if some team gets desperate/stupid, I'd pull the trigger. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2016, 12:00 PM)Stormborn Wrote: In the 9 total games he's started, he is 5-4.

2 of those wins of them came against us. He didn't start against us last year so I'm not officially counting that, though,
I might as well.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/Y/YateT.00.htm

I was going to say, I thought he beat us twice in 2011...once in the regular season and again in the playoffs and then he sort of beat us in 2015.  That would be 3 wins, would it not?
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2016, 12:40 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I was going to say, I thought he beat us twice in 2011...once in the regular season and again in the playoffs and then he sort of beat us in 2015.  That would be 3 wins, would it not?

If I were assigning #QBWinz, Yates would be credited with the last victory, but I don't know if he did.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2016, 12:40 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I was going to say, I thought he beat us twice in 2011...once in the regular season and again in the playoffs and then he sort of beat us in 2015.  That would be 3 wins, would it not?

He beat us twice in 2011, but he hasn't started any other games against us. He did relieve Hoyer last year and threw for 69 yards and a TD on 11 attempts.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2016, 12:46 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: He beat us twice in 2011, but he hasn't started any other games against us. He did relieve Hoyer last year and threw for 69 yards and a TD on 11 attempts.

Oh, I know the "starts" are different, but just between us you have to give the guy credit for 3 tough wins against us.  Ouch.

2011 - in Cincy as a rookie
2011 - playoff game as a rookie
2015 - in Cincy against an 8-0 team

ouch!
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2016, 12:09 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Tell that to Dallas, Houston, Ravens, Bills etc... you underrate the importance of a solid backup in this injury prone QB league

Houston never really had a true starting QB. They benched Hoyer numerous times.

The Ravens were a bad football team even when Flacco started. Their season later had more and more injuries, but they weren't going anywhere with Flacco.

Bills had an open competition, so Taylor was also viewed as a backup and was never named the starter until way later.

And honestly, injuries happen. But even say the Bengals were to have one of those backup QBs the other teams had and ended up losing the rest of their games the season, they're still 10-6 and win the division. So it's not like McCarron helped save the season by any means, just got us 2 more wins against Blaine Gabbert and Ryan Mallet led teams.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2016, 03:02 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Oh, I know the "starts" are different, but just between us you have to give the guy credit for 3 tough wins against us.  Ouch.

2011 - in Cincy as a rookie
2011 - playoff game as a rookie
2015 - in Cincy against an 8-0 team

ouch!

It's kinda like how Gradkowski owned Pittsburgh. Of course, they wound up signing him.

Maybe we should get Yates off the market before he signs with the Browns or something.  Ninja
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2016, 05:09 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: It's kinda like how Gradkowski owned Pittsburgh. Of course, they wound up signing him.

Maybe we should get Yates off the market before he signs with the Browns or something.  Ninja

We've signed a player for lessor reasons than that.

Reply/Quote
I'm with Mike Brown on this. Never say never, but if an insanely good offer comes along . . . Last time Hue wanted one of our QBs, we know what happened. He lost his job.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
For anyone who has ever negotiated anything, to publicly come out and say he is not going to be traded is actually a very shrewd tactic. Now, any other team that is desperate for a QB knows the deal would have to be pretty sweet to pry him away from the Bengals. You may just get another team with a rube for a coach like Hue Jackson who ends up throwing a 1 and a 2 at you for MCCarron. By saying he won't be traded you are simply insuring that any offer that comes your way will be sweet. I like it.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2016, 12:09 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Tell that to Dallas, Houston, Ravens, Bills etc... you underrate the importance of a solid backup in this injury prone QB league

-Dallas is so dependent on Tony Romo to be competitive that no backup QB would help them. Kind of like the Patriots right now, or the Chargers. You could have the best backup in the league and it wouldn't help those teams.

-The Ravens were 3-7 (.300) with Joe Flacco, their starting QB. They were 2-4 (.333) with their backup QBs. Not sure what point you're trying to make here, their backups would have had to win out after Flacco went down in order for them to even have a shot at the second wildcard, and I don't know about the tiebreakers to be certain if they would or not.

-The Bills lost every game that the defense allowed more than 21 points in. Their QB had no impact on the 2 games they lost while Taylor was out. They actually averaged more points (26) while Taylor was out than when he was in (23). Doesn't change the fact that they lost the two games he was out because they allowed 34 points in both of them.

-Houston.. who the hell knows what happened down there. That QB situation (starter included) was just a convoluted mess of flip-flopping and weirdness. They made it into the playoffs thanks to going 5-1 in the worst division in football. Which is why they lost 30-0 in the wildcard. No backup could have solved that.

In none of those situations would AJ McCarron as their backup have solved their woes, man.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote