Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin Often Deserves ....
some of the criticism here, and this isn't in his defense, but the other side of that coin was pointed out in the game last night,

Since Marvin has been HC, 2003, the Dolphins have had 9 different HCs and where has it gotten them? Cool
Reply/Quote
The same number of playoff wins?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
And tell me teams that have kept a coach for 13 years how many playoff wins they have?
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 11:44 AM)Vas Deferens Wrote: The same number of playoff wins?

Can't win playoff games if you don't 'make' the playoffs.  Dolphins have made the playoffs 'once' in 13 years. (2008).
Reply/Quote
Yeah... changing coaches never does anything positive. Just look at the Broncos last year... oh wait. How about the Eagles this year? Hmmm they're doing pretty good nvm... What about the Vikings a couple of years ago... I think I could go on for a while.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 01:35 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Yeah... changing coaches never does anything positive. Just look at the Broncos last year... oh wait. How about the Eagles this year? Hmmm they're doing pretty good nvm... What about the Vikings a couple of years ago... I think I could go on for a while.

Please do. I'd be interested in hearing about the teams that fired coaches after a winning season and how they fared the following years.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 11:35 AM)bengalguy71 Wrote: some of the criticism here, and this isn't in his defense, but the other side of that coin was pointed out in the game last night,

Since Marvin has been HC, 2003, the Dolphins have had 9 different HCs and where has it gotten them?  Cool

The Dolphins don't have nearly the talent the Bengals do.

The logic in your thinking is too singular. JUST changing a head coach isn't an automatic upgrade. The talent and fit has to be right. To just boil it down to one simplistic angle when it's a complicated formula is really too basic and unrealistic. The Bengals talent on the field is FAR more capable than the current head coaching philosophy and methods is able to take them. Period. Marvin would be better off taking over the Rams, Browns, Titans, Dolphins, etc. Teams who need mentoring and leadership to go from F to B. He's CLEARLY not able to take B to an A and that's what this group needs at this stage.

Often times, though, that's the difference in lots of things in life. The upper tier is just a little bit (or sometimes majorly) different than the things/people below them.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 01:39 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Please do. I'd be interested in hearing about the teams that fired coaches after a winning season and how they fared the following years.

It seems like the Broncos just won a SB under their new head coach.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 01:35 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Yeah... changing coaches never does anything positive. Just look at the Broncos last year... oh wait. How about the Eagles this year? Hmmm they're doing pretty good nvm... What about the Vikings a couple of years ago... I think I could go on for a while.

Come on Penny Loafer, my post wasn't in support of changing or not changing.  It was an observation of both sides of the spectrum. For a little 'hope' instead of all the belly aching!

But since you mentioned it.  Gary Kubiak backed into the playoffs, had to go into OT with the Bengals to win a playoff spot. Had they lost that game, they wouldn't have even made the playoffs, let alone the number 1 seed.

I could counter and match you with teams like the Dolphins, but that's not what the intention or 'point' of the post.

It's kind of like this ....... you, I, or any other couch coach in here has absolutely zero control of what happens to Marvin Lewis.  Rather than switch teams, or continuing to piss and moan, look on the bright side by comparing to Miami or the Cleveland Browns! 

THAT was the point of the thread!!   Wink
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 01:41 PM)PDub80 Wrote: The Dolphins don't have nearly the talent the Bengals do.

The logic in your thinking is too singular. JUST changing a head coach isn't an automatic upgrade. The talent and fit has to be right. To just boil it down to one simplistic angle when it's a complicated formula is really too basic and unrealistic. The Bengals talent on the field is FAR more capable than the current head coaching philosophy and methods is able to take them. Period. Marvin would be better off taking over the Rams, Browns, Titans, Dolphins, etc. Teams who need mentoring and leadership to go from F to B. He's CLEARLY not able to take B to an A and that's what this group needs at this stage.

Often times, though, that's the difference in lots of things in life. The upper tier is just a little bit (or sometimes majorly) different than the things/people below them.

(See reply to Brownshoe) Aye yi yi!!
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 01:39 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Please do. I'd be interested in hearing about the teams that fired coaches after a winning season and how they fared the following years.

(09-30-2016, 01:44 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: It seems like the Broncos just won a SB under their new head coach.

The Panthers also changed from an embedded long term coach and after a bit become much better for it.

Look, there are examples either way on that front. The question to me is: Are the Bengals TOO talented for Marvin Lewis?

Is it the difference between driving a drag car down the strip and racing an F1 car around a track?
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 01:45 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Come on Penny Loafer, my post wasn't in support of changing or not changing.  It was an observation of both sides of the spectrum. For a little 'hope' instead of all the belly aching!

But since you mentioned it.  Gary Kubiak backed into the playoffs, had to go into OT with the Bengals to win a playoff spot. Had they lost that game, they wouldn't have even made the playoffs, let alone the number 1 seed.

I could counter and match you with teams like the Dolphins, but that's not what the intention or 'point' of the post.

It's kind of like this ....... you, I, or any other couch coach in here has absolutely zero control of what happens to Marvin Lewis.  Rather than switch teams, or continuing to piss and moan, look on the bright side by comparing to Miami or the Cleveland Browns! 

Kubiak didn't back into the playoffs. His team had 12 wins and even if he didn't win that 1 game all that would have meant was that Pittsburgh would have been tossed out of the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 01:47 PM)PDub80 Wrote: The Panthers also changed from an embedded long term coach and after a bit become much better for it.

Look, there are examples either way on that front. The question to me is: Are the Bengals TOO talented for Marvin Lewis?

Is it the difference between driving a drag car down the strip and racing an F1 car around a track?

Cool  Unbelievable! 
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 01:48 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Kubiak didn't back into the playoffs. His team had 12 wins and even if he didn't win that 1 game all that would have meant was that Pittsburgh would have been tossed out of the playoffs.

Again Penny Loafer, you focus in on a point that has nothing to do with what I just said to you!!
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 01:31 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Can't win playoff games if you don't 'make' the playoffs.  Dolphins have made the playoffs 'once' in 13 years. (2008).

True, but you also can't win a playoff game with Marvin Lewis as head coach..so as they say in the business, "Its a wash"
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 01:56 PM)GodFather Wrote: True, but you also can't win a playoff game with Marvin Lewis as head coach..so as they say in the business, "Its a wash"

Cool  Again GF, see the post to Brownshoe.  
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 01:45 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Come on Penny Loafer, my post wasn't in support of changing or not changing.  It was an observation of both sides of the spectrum. For a little 'hope' instead of all the belly aching!

(09-30-2016, 01:46 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: (See reply to Brownshoe)  Aye yi yi!!

So this was more of a ra ra "nothing we can do" homer thread about how you like your eggs sunny side up?

The ol'... "Whelp, at least we're not the [insert garbage team here] idea?

Listen, home® boy, after 13+ years we have a big enough sample size of what Marvin is. I gave him the benefit of the doubt when Zimmer left and the ship stayed steady and some procedural improvements were implemented (8 years in). But now that he's without Hue Jackson the offense is back to run run pass, run run run run run, or pass pass pass pass pass. Marvin has thrown 2 DCs and 1 OC under the bus already when, frankly, it's looking like Marvin's the one who can't seem to get with the times. Poor adjustments in game plans for 3 out of the 4 games so far has me back wanting to poop in Marvin's Wheaties.

Seems like you just became a Bengals fan so let me help you. News flash: THE BENGALS ALREADY SPENT THE 90s BEING THE BROWNS. They're past that now and we as fans/consumers have the right to have higher expectations than: "At least we're not.....". If that's someone's philosophy they carry through their Milquetoast of a life than God help them. 
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 01:59 PM)PDub80 Wrote: So this was more of a ra ra "nothing we can do" homer thread about how you like your eggs sunny side up?

The ol'... "Whelp, at least we're not the [insert garbage team here] idea?

Listen, home® boy, after 13+ years we have a big enough sample size of what Marvin is. I gave him the benefit of the doubt when Zimmer left and the ship stayed steady and some procedural improvements were implemented (8 years in). But now that he's without Hue Jackson the offense is back to run run pass, run run run run run, or pass pass pass pass pass. Marvin has thrown 2 DCs and 1 OC under the bus already when, frankly, it's looking like Marvin's the one who can't seem to get with the times. Poor adjustments in game plans for 3 out of the 4 games so far has me back wanting to poop in Marvin's Wheaties.

Seems like you just became a Bengals fan so let me help you. News flash: THE BENGALS ALREADY SPENT THE 90s BEING THE BROWNS. They're past that now and we as fans/consumers have the right to have higher expectations than: "At least we're not.....". If that's someone's philosophy they carry through their Milquetoast of a life than God help them. 

I was a Bengals fan before you were even born, and I ain't your homeboy.  Continue to gloom and doom your way until he retires.  Guess what.  He's here to stay until he does. Homer this and homer that!  What has all this bitching gotten you young man???  Let me guess ..... NOTHING but more of the same!  Cry 

Have you applied for his job?
Reply/Quote
The Panthers are a bad example. It took awhile for them to get much better, something that people around here would not be satisfied with.

As for the Broncos, I don't see how they got any better with Kubiak. Yes, they won the Super Bowl, but they actually had better teams with Fox as their coach.

I'll do some research, but I can't seem to remember a winning team having much luck the following season after a coaching change.
Reply/Quote
... Marvin consistently gets out coached in games.

Zimmer should have been made head coach and Marvin GM.
Reply/Quote