Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin: "Our way's not good enough"
Marvin Lewis leading shakeup

The players here are sporting "Bengals Revival" T-shirts, and as head coach Marvin Lewis explained to me, it's the outgrowth of an effort he started with his staff at the end of the 2014 season. He wanted them to evaluate everything -- similar to the way he did in 2011 -- and shake things up. As part of that, the Bengals doubled the size of their weight room, added a dining area and redid the players' lounge. "We kinda restarted things," Lewis explained. "And I told the coaches after last season, 'We gotta find a different way.' Our way's not good enough. We gotta find a different way. And we gotta push all the time. I think the guys have done a good job, the players have done a nice job of responding to that. They know that. They know that here is not where we want to be. We want to end up at the top." The obvious inference that can be drawn, of course, is that it'll take a little more to get out of the first round of the playoffs, where the team's past four seasons have ended. Lewis continued, "Every step, the organization has done a great job in putting the guys in position to do these things. Now we've gotta capitalize on it and get it done."

Full article @ NFL.Com
Reply/Quote
No shit Marv!

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2015, 12:40 PM)Wyche Wrote: No shit Marv!

Give the man some credit...they did update the players lounge!  Ninja

Seriously though, I do like seeing Marvin admit that what they've been doing, just isn't translating into the postseason...for whatever reason. Now, let's see if he and his staff really can "shake things up" in a way that ends up leading to actually looking prepared and confident in the postseason. 

Right now, that has to be the only focus...getting that elusive damn playoff win. Anything short of that has to be considered a failure, IMO. As Marvin said in this article- "here is not where we want to be", and in a past article- "just getting there isn't enough". 
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2015, 12:57 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Give the man some credit...they did update the players lounge!  Ninja

Seriously though, I do like seeing Marvin admit that what they've been doing, just isn't translating into the postseason...for whatever reason. Now, let's see if he and his staff really can "shake things up" in a way that ends up leading to actually looking prepared and confident in the postseason. 

Right now, that has to be the only focus...getting that elusive damn playoff win. Anything short of that has to be considered a failure, IMO. As Marvin said in this article- "here is not where we want to be", and in a past article- "just getting there isn't enough". 

You can't find something if you're not looking for it.  If you are looking, you always have a chance to stumble onto it.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-08-2015, 12:40 PM)Wyche Wrote: No shit Marv!

It is a no shit statement.  OTOH, at least he knows.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-08-2015, 12:57 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Give the man some credit...they did update the players lounge!  Ninja

I am not a big Marvin Lewis fan, but I will give him credit for recognizing that things need to change.  Now let's see if they actually do.  I don't want to just hear that, I want to see it!
[Image: PApinhead-Sig-1_2.png]

Sig compliments of ExtraRadiohead
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2015, 01:21 PM)PApinhead Wrote: I am not a big Marvin Lewis fan, but I will give him credit for recognizing that things need to change.  Now let's see if they actually do.  I don't want to just hear that, I want to see it!
You see better than you hear?   Ninja
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2015, 01:51 PM)EatonFan Wrote: You see better than you hear?   Ninja

Haha!!!!  Yep!!!

Now where have we heard that before?  lol ThumbsUp
[Image: PApinhead-Sig-1_2.png]

Sig compliments of ExtraRadiohead
Reply/Quote
I think the off season moves are more of a change of culture and that is what the Bengals need more than a change of coach. Start treating players like they are winners they will start thinking they are winners. Marvin has done a fabulous job getting the team to the playoffs every year for the last 4; yet they crap the bed when they get there. Some will point to the coach, some will point to the QB, I have always pointed to the culture (well the QB a little bit too). Treat these guys like they belong there and they will play like they belong there.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Yes I think I remember hearing that somewhere. Got to give them some credit the coaching staff/front office has drafted really well. At least Marvin recognizes that alone isn't good enough. Got to keep pushing to get over that hump.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2015, 01:11 PM)McC Wrote: It is a no shit statement.  OTOH, at least he knows.

This. At least Marvin is acknowledging the problem. Words won't fix anything, but I want to hear that he's frustrated and is striving to get better. He should be.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2015, 02:05 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think the off season moves are more of a change of culture and that is what the Bengals need more than a change of coach. Start treating players like they are winners they will start thinking they are winners. Marvin has done a fabulous job getting the team to the playoffs every year for the last 4; yet they crap the bed when they get there. Some will point to the coach, some will point to the QB, I have always pointed to the culture (well the QB a little bit too). Treat these guys like they belong there and they will play like they belong there.

Great post. Unfortunately, the culture is that of a 2nd rate team. Small scouting department, poor facilities, no indoor practice field. I don't think it's the entire problem, but it's certainly part of the problem. Kudos to Marv for trying to get things done with the most stubborn, frugal and old fashioned man on the planet.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I hope Marv changes his way of coaching once we get to the Playoffs.

It has been as much on him as anyone.
Reply/Quote
The problem with the Marvin Lewis coached teams is simply that they fail to gain momentum, as the season rolls on. Many times they have been ridiculously strong, during the meat of the season, then fade toward the playoffs. That should at least point him toward his own philosophy, what can HE do differently to make the team continue to improve in the back half of the season, rather than fading away.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2015, 02:31 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The problem with the Marvin Lewis coached teams is simply that they fail to gain momentum, as the season rolls on.  Many times they have been ridiculously strong, during the meat of the season, then fade toward the playoffs.  That should at least point him toward his own philosophy, what can HE do differently to make the team continue to improve in the back half of the season, rather than fading away.

Yeah, we did have that one year when we stormed into the Playoffs but that was it.

Then once again we laid an egg once we got there.
Reply/Quote
Hopefully this year is another gateway onto success.

Hiring Marvin was the first.
Losing Palmer and getting Dalton and the first 'revival' was the second. (and we are a bit further)

Hopefully this 3rd gateway will get us over the hump to winning playoff games...

I fully believe that facilities play a huge role in a teams success. Seattle has the finest facilities and practice conditions I have ever seen. I don't believe any of that was in place until Pete Carroll took over... These guys like to be pampered, and a comfortable player plays better I guess.
Reply/Quote
Gee, thanks Marv.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2015, 02:18 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Great post. Unfortunately, the culture is that of a 2nd rate team. Small scouting department, poor facilities, no indoor practice field. I don't think it's the entire problem, but it's certainly part of the problem. Kudos to Marv for trying to get things done with the most stubborn, frugal and old fashioned man on the planet.

I think the "2nd rate team" culture is more of a lingering perspective that a segment of the fan base can't let go. It was undoubtedly true quite some time ago (and it could be suggested that referring to them as only "2nd rate" would have been generous). Part of that is understandably due to the fact that the same man sits atop the organizational chart.

Obviously, it cannot be argued that there is no indoor practice facility, though there is debate over its necessity. Nonetheless, you have a point there. However, I have a hard time believing the idea that they have poor facilities even before the various upgrades this offseason. Regarding the scouting department, shouldn't it be judged on its merits rather than simply its size? This team has drafted pretty well for quite a while now. For a franchise who has put a conscious effort into building via the draft moreso than free agency (regardless of whether one feels that is the best approach or not), they have put together a solid track record. I'd rather have a small, but efficient scouting department than a bloated one.

This franchise isn't "1st rate" in every single way, but I don't believe there is likely any team out there that is. As a whole, though, I think they're there. They certainly do have some areas they still need to improve upon and there are valid concerns that Marvin Lewis may not be the one who can deliver that improvement, but it is in his hands this season whether some like it or not, so hopefully this public acknowledgement spurs the necessary changes among the head coach & his staff, the players and everyone else throughout the organization from whom they are needed.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2015, 03:52 PM)34inXXIII Wrote:  They certainly do have some areas they still need to improve upon and there are valid concerns that Marvin Lewis may not be the one who can deliver that improvement, but it is in his hands this season whether some like it or not, so hopefully this public acknowledgement spurs the necessary changes among the head coach & his staff, the players and everyone else throughout the organization from whom they are needed.

Very well said.  Clapping
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2015, 03:52 PM)34inXXIII Wrote: I think the "2nd rate team" culture is more of a lingering perspective that a segment of the fan base can't let go. It was undoubtedly true quite some time ago (and it could be suggested that referring to them as only "2nd rate" would have been generous). Part of that is understandably due to the fact that the same man sits atop the organizational chart.

Not sure how long it has lingered. I think we have seen as recently as the JJo move to Houston.

Every improvement Marvin mentioned in the OP was directly related to culture.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote