Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin: "Our way's not good enough"
(08-09-2015, 12:19 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: CINCINNATI—Quarterback Andy Dalton did not practice Wednesday due to a bout with the flu.

Head coach Marvin Lewis said after practice that Dalton was sent home and it wasn’t a big deal.
The only other practice Dalton has missed this season was Sept. 14, which was three days after he hurt his wrist during the first half of the season opener at Cleveland. Dalton did practice though the following day and then threw for 332 yards and two touchdowns in a loss at Denver.

Notes: Considering the cold temperatures, many thought the Bengals might practice at the University of Cincinnati's indoor facility, especially with the roof expected to be closed at Reliant Stadium. Instead, they stayed outdoors at Paul Brown Stadium, where the wind chill on Wednesday was a balmy 22 degrees. Two years ago, when the team was preparing for its playoff game against the Jets, they practiced for two days at Wall to Wall in Mason. Temperatures were a bit colder then. Still, the cold temps of the past couple days did elicit some reactions from players. Wide receiver A.J. Green said this was the coldest weather he has practiced in by far

-------------

I know when I have the flu I love being out in 22 degree weather for extended periods of times. I think everybody does.  I know when I had a 102 fever and was puking all the time I just went outside on my deck for a couple hours and felt so much better.

Definitely a good idea to have your starting QB out in the cold getting over an illness.  And always nice to hear your marquee name, one of the games elite, commenting on how it's coldest weather he's ever played in.  I'm sure he just mentioned that cuz he really liked it.  Yeah, that's it.  No way was he uncomfortable, and if he wasn't, who cares?  Eff him, am I right?  What a baby.

I see value with the practice bubble.

But, do the steelers have a practice bubble? It sounded like there are 4 outdoor fields in their facility. Do the steelers have an indoor practice facility? Or do their players have to practice in cold weather as well?
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2015, 09:23 AM)Bengalfan11164 Wrote: I see value with the practice bubble.

But, do the steelers have a practice bubble?  It sounded like there are 4 outdoor fields in their facility. Do the steelers have an indoor practice facility?   Or do their players have to practice in cold weather as well?

I'm not sure if theirs is "shared" as well, but until the deal was reached with UC the Bengals were the only team north of Atlanta without one.  I have hated that for some time, but I view the UC consignment as "better than nothing". 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2015, 01:21 PM)PApinhead Wrote: I am not a big Marvin Lewis fan, but I will give him credit for recognizing that things need to change.  Now let's see if they actually do.  I don't want to just hear that, I want to see it!

Marvin has been saying pretty much the very same thing the past decade..only fools buy into his koolaid
Reply/Quote
the real problem is that Lewis has not been fired
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2015, 01:09 PM)McC Wrote: You can't find something if you're not looking for it.  If you are looking, you always have a chance to stumble onto it.

This.  If Marvin has had a weakness it's his rigid thinking - usually in the midst of the season.  If he's had a strength it's been his willingness to look at himself (in the off season) with the belief that he needs to change something.

He's slowly been moving towards finding smarter/ tougher players vs. world class athletes.   He's sort of relaxed his constant search for the next Boulware.

I think he does want to change the culture, but I get the idea that he wants to change the approach as well.   Hopefully that will mean things like playing to win vs playing not to lose.

We'll see.  We don't need the playbook to be the inspector gadget playbook.   Really I hate gimmicky offenses.  But hopefully a more aggressive approach that is able to counter with the opposition's adjustments.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2015, 02:18 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Great post. Unfortunately, the culture is that of a 2nd rate team. Small scouting department, poor facilities, no indoor practice field. I don't think it's the entire problem, but it's certainly part of the problem. Kudos to Marv for trying to get things done with the most stubborn, frugal and old fashioned man on the planet.
the "small scouting department " has done remarkably well the past number of years.. The facilities are excellent.. If they ever need an indoor field they can go up the road..

Lewis should have been fired two years ago after the san diego playoff loss
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2015, 04:37 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Don't get me wrong, there has been a lot of improvement over the last decade or so, but the Bengals still lag behind in a few key areas. The improvements made to the weight room was a start, but the lack of an indoor facility is a bigger issue than some let on. While other teams train in luxurious facilities with fields, weight rooms and cafeterias, the Bengals are still bussing over to UC...if Marv decides it's worth the inconvenience.

In the end, I put more blame on Marv for the postseason failures, but there is no doubt that Mike Brown could do more to run a first class organization and help Marvin. The Bengals are one of maybe 2-3 teams that don't have a facility of there own. That alone puts them behind other franchises IMO.

the bengals train in luxurious facilities with weight rooms, cafeterias, rehab areas..etc.. they have great practice fields..

if they need a bubble they can go up the road.

Lewis cant win a playoff game..thats the issue
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2015, 04:11 PM)xavierdude Wrote: the bengals train in luxurious facilities with weight rooms, cafeterias, rehab areas..etc.. they have great practice fields..

It seems like you're excusing MB in these posts of yours, so I must question the logic of "Lewis can't win a playoff game".

1. MB hasn't won a playoff game in over 2x the chances that Marvin has had.

2. If we're going to hold Marvin accountable for the players not getting it done, shouldn't MB be held accountable when the coaching staff can't get it done?

I don't want to make it sound like I'm a big Marvin Lewis fan because I don't think he's a great coach, that's not my point here. However, Marvin Lewis is probably better at coaching than Mike Brown is at owning a professional football team.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2015, 02:11 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: This. At least Marvin is acknowledging the problem. Words won't fix anything, but I want to hear that he's frustrated and is striving to get better. He should be.

Not the old "we did some good things out there" giggle giggle
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2015, 04:07 PM)xavierdude Wrote: the "small scouting department " has done remarkably well the past number of years.. 

Marvin Lewis is a big factor behind that. That works okay for now. What about down the road? When Marvin leaves, this team is going to be a wreck because it's so dependent on him. He basically serves roles as HC, GM and head scout. The drafts have been better lately, so I guess it's easy to forget about the previous 15 years or so of bad drafting and lack of direction.

The drafting has improved lately, but who's to say it couldn't be even better with an expanded scouting department? When is more scouts a bad thing? 

(08-10-2015, 04:11 PM)xavierdude Wrote: the bengals train in luxurious facilities with weight rooms, cafeterias, rehab areas..etc.. they have great practice fields..

You make it sound as simple as me hopping in my car and driving up the street. They have to load 53 players and 20+ coaches etc into multiple buses to get to UC. That takes time. Once they're at UC, they no longer have access to their own weight room, cafeterias, rehab areas, etc. If they want that, they then have to load everyone up on buses again and head back to the stadium.

You don't see where this would be a giant pain in the ass and a total inconvenience to all involved? That's why they don't use UC's facility much during the season. It's often hard to predict the weather, so it's not like they can pick up at a moments notice and just go UC.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2015, 01:17 PM)xavierdude Wrote: Marvin has been saying pretty much the very same thing the past decade..only fools buy into his koolaid

Yep.  That's why I haven't bought it yet and probably won't until we actually win a playoff game or at least look prepared for one.
[Image: PApinhead-Sig-1_2.png]

Sig compliments of ExtraRadiohead
Reply/Quote