Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin: "Our way's not good enough"
(08-08-2015, 03:52 PM)34inXXIII Wrote: I think the "2nd rate team" culture is more of a lingering perspective that a segment of the fan base can't let go. It was undoubtedly true quite some time ago (and it could be suggested that referring to them as only "2nd rate" would have been generous). Part of that is understandably due to the fact that the same man sits atop the organizational chart.

Obviously, it cannot be argued that there is no indoor practice facility, though there is debate over its necessity. Nonetheless, you have a point there. However, I have a hard time believing the idea that they have poor facilities even before the various upgrades this offseason. Regarding the scouting department, shouldn't it be judged on its merits rather than simply its size? This team has drafted pretty well for quite a while now. For a franchise who has put a conscious effort into building via the draft moreso than free agency (regardless of whether one feels that is the best approach or not), they have put together a solid track record. I'd rather have a small, but efficient scouting department than a bloated one.

This franchise isn't "1st rate" in every single way, but I don't believe there is likely any team out there that is. As a whole, though, I think they're there. They certainly do have some areas they still need to improve upon and there are valid concerns that Marvin Lewis may not be the one who can deliver that improvement, but it is in his hands this season whether some like it or not, so hopefully this public acknowledgement spurs the necessary changes among the head coach & his staff, the players and everyone else throughout the organization from whom they are needed.

Don't get me wrong, there has been a lot of improvement over the last decade or so, but the Bengals still lag behind in a few key areas. The improvements made to the weight room was a start, but the lack of an indoor facility is a bigger issue than some let on. While other teams train in luxurious facilities with fields, weight rooms and cafeterias, the Bengals are still bussing over to UC...if Marv decides it's worth the inconvenience.

In the end, I put more blame on Marv for the postseason failures, but there is no doubt that Mike Brown could do more to run a first class organization and help Marvin. The Bengals are one of maybe 2-3 teams that don't have a facility of there own. That alone puts them behind other franchises IMO.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
All that's said and written about the team, Dalton and everything else can be instantly dismissed with a super bowl win. Yes, some of the criticism is very valid, but winning is everything and that's the obvious goal for the team as well as fans. As far as the talking heads. .Who cares?
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2015, 04:37 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Don't get me wrong, there has been a lot of improvement over the last decade or so, but the Bengals still lag behind in a few key areas. The improvements made to the weight room was a start, but the lack of an indoor facility is a bigger issue than some let on. While other teams train in luxurious facilities with fields, weight rooms and cafeterias, the Bengals are still bussing over to UC...if Marv decides it's worth the inconvenience.

In the end, I put more blame on Marv for the postseason failures, but there is no doubt that Mike Brown could do more to run a first class organization and help Marvin. The Bengals are one of maybe 2-3 teams that don't have a facility of there own. That alone puts them behind other franchises IMO.

And the Steelers bus to the Pitt college campus

Sorry, if our facilities and organization were that poorly ran, we have little chance to sign players to second contracts. These are old tired thoughts that hold back the weak. If a player feels a practice field indoors is the key to them giving 110%, I don't want them. We hear excuses all the time for our team losing, this no practice field is one of the lamest I have ever heard.

Players only know what they have experienced and most of the Bengals teams the past 10 years have been Bengals players their entire career so they have no idea of the culture or the facilities in Green Bay or Houston.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
The Steelers/Pitt facility isn't on campus.  Are you that desperate to defend this team that you will blatantly make things up and/or lie? 

Oh, and fwiw, that isn't actually a typical shared facility.  Each team has their own two floors. Hence the 80 mil cost 10 years before UC dropped 15 mil of Alumni donations on theirs.
Reply/Quote
Did someone remind Marvin that "changing things" is what the Browns do? DO YOU WANNA BE TEH BORWNS!!?!>!>!!
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2015, 05:01 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: And the Steelers bus to the Pitt college campus

Sorry, if our facilities and organization were that poorly ran, we have little chance to sign players to second contracts. These are old tired thoughts that hold back the weak. If a player feels a practice field indoors is the key to them giving 110%, I don't want them. We hear excuses all the time for our team losing, this no practice field is one of the lamest I have ever heard.

Players only know what they have experienced and most of the Bengals teams the past 10 years have been Bengals players their entire career so they have no idea of the culture or the facilities in Green Bay or Houston.
No they don't bus to Pitt college campus they share a campus together. Both have their own fields and own areas in that facility. Totally different situation from the Bengals.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
It's good to hear Marvin speaking out about change being needed. Because it is very needed and has been forever ! And to be totally fair they've taken some baby steps toward change and things have gotten slightly better in several areas.

But there's so much more that needs done in so many places that basically this team still needs to take one giant leap for Bengalkind.

It's not just one thing here or there that develops the losing culture, it's the sum of all the parts. No Bengal ring of honor, no indoor practice facility, tenured position coaches whom no matter the output of their players retain their jobs, a HC still in place that has yet to win a playoff game in 12 seasons - that's like 3 NFL HC lifetimes, the stadium that's just a gray boring blob inside, and just general Mike Brown cheapness in a bunch of little minute ways.  One could go on and on but you get the idea.

This team under MB has never really put winning at the top of the priority list, it's always been ya we'll win if we can but let's do it on a budget. Until the core, the heat and soul of this team and ownership covets winning above all else little is going to change.

Like has been said we need a total culture change and outlook !
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2015, 02:31 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The problem with the Marvin Lewis coached teams is simply that they fail to gain momentum, as the season rolls on.  Many times they have been ridiculously strong, during the meat of the season, then fade toward the playoffs.  That should at least point him toward his own philosophy, what can HE do differently to make the team continue to improve in the back half of the season, rather than fading away.

Exactly!!!  Marvin needs to change how he prepares the team for playoff games.  He and the players need to make sure they are ready and the coaches need to come up with better game plans than what they have been.
[Image: PApinhead-Sig-1_2.png]

Sig compliments of ExtraRadiohead
Reply/Quote
Unless Marvin means he's going to change his usual playoff method, then meh. Asking the QB to throw the most and hoping really hard our defense gets turnovers when we go 3-out doesn't work. It hasn't worked every time Marvin has tried it. Maybe, maybe, he's realizing that and will stick with the running game and an opportunistic passing game.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2015, 04:09 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Not sure how long it has lingered. I think we have seen as recently as the JJo move to Houston.

Every improvement Marvin mentioned in the OP was directly related to culture.

He figured it out...and just a shade over a decade too, alright! ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
How about a head coach that can fire up this team without having to resort to cosmetic changes?
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(08-08-2015, 12:57 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Give the man some credit...they did update the players lounge!  Ninja

Seriously though, I do like seeing Marvin admit that what they've been doing, just isn't translating into the postseason...for whatever reason. Now, let's see if he and his staff really can "shake things up" in a way that ends up leading to actually looking prepared and confident in the postseason. 

Right now, that has to be the only focus...getting that elusive damn playoff win. Anything short of that has to be considered a failure, IMO. As Marvin said in this article- "here is not where we want to be", and in a past article- "just getting there isn't enough". 

we've as fans, have been telling them they are wrong for years!!!

Reply/Quote
Update: We've now just learned that the way Bengals have done things has been "not good enough". I repeat Not. Good. Enough. Shocking development here wouldn't say, Frank?

In other news, water is wet. And be sure to tune into tomorrow evening for a special report: The Earth is Round: Fact of Fiction.

As always, have a pleasant evening and an even better tomorrow. Sick Sick Sick
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2015, 05:08 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: The Steelers/Pitt facility isn't on campus.  Are you that desperate to defend this team that you will blatantly make things up and/or lie? 

Oh, and fwiw, that isn't actually a typical shared facility.  Each team has their own two floors.  Hence the 80 mil cost 10 years before UC dropped 15 mil of Alumni donations on theirs.

The Steelers have their own fields, weight room and even a team library within these "shared" facilities.

Very misleading to compare it to sharing UC's facility. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Some people are just happier if they can gripe and be pessimistic. This thread is proof of that.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2015, 09:42 PM)J24 Wrote: No they don't bus to Pitt college campus they share a campus together. Both have their own fields and own areas in that facility. Totally different situation from the Bengals.

My bad if the Steelers share facilities and they don't have to bus to the indoor practice area.

I thought differently.

So, is the Steelers every day practice field also in walking distance to Heinz field so they are close by weight rooms, meeting rooms, break areas and so on?
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2015, 12:57 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Give the man some credit...they did update the players lounge!  Ninja

Seriously though, I do like seeing Marvin admit that what they've been doing, just isn't translating into the postseason...for whatever reason. Now, let's see if he and his staff really can "shake things up" in a way that ends up leading to actually looking prepared and confident in the postseason. 

Right now, that has to be the only focus...getting that elusive damn playoff win. Anything short of that has to be considered a failure, IMO. As Marvin said in this article- "here is not where we want to be", and in a past article- "just getting there isn't enough". 

I gotta agree 'holic.......at least he's acknowlidging it these days.  It only took him twelve years!

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-09-2015, 09:54 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: My bad if the Steelers share facilities and they don't have to bus to the indoor practice area.

I thought differently.

So, is the Steelers every day practice field also in walking distance to Heinz field so they are close by weight rooms, meeting rooms, break areas and so on?

The main problem is that, under the current circumstances, UC holds precedence over the Bengals regarding the facility. Isn't that correct?

You could potentially miss a practice due to inclement weather because of this.

That's a much bigger issue than pampered players.....although players want pampered too. Same as employees want benefits and bonuses when a company really prospers.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I really don't care about anything anyone says in this organization anymore. It's the same talk year in and year out. I just don't care. Get some damn results or shut up until you do.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2015, 09:25 AM)Beaker Wrote: Some people are just happier if they can gripe and be pessimistic. This thread is proof of that.

Some people get their panties in a bunch when people complain about legitimate issues. Your post is proof of that.

A thread talking about Marv admitting that the team needs to do better is obviously going to draw positive AND negative comments.

Why do you have such a huge problem with that? 
Reply/Quote