Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin and Hue

Marvin: Hey Hue! I heard things got kind of rough in Oakland. Canned after one 8-8 season? Too bad.

Hue: Yeah it's a shame. No one is even calling my phone about a coordinator job. I don't even know if I'll be employed in the NFL this year.

Marvin: Hmmm...My staff is locked at the moment but I like you Hue and I know you've got next to no experience on defense but we're going to make you a position as the Assistant to the Secondary Coach.

Hue: Wow! Thanks Marvin I'll be the best Assistant Secondary Coach you could ever ask for.

Marvin: Assistant to the Secondary Coach.

Hue: Hey Marv. I just got back from my interview with Cleveland and I accepted their Head Coaching job. I know Oakland was a disaster and the franchise never gave me a chance but I feel like Cleveland will be different. I just wanted to let you know how grateful I am though. Do you mind packing up my office for me and mailing it?

Marvin:  Mellow
Reply/Quote
HUE: I got fired after leading the Raiders to the best season they've had in 12 years!

MARVIN: You think that's bad? I got an extension after going 4-12!

*END SCENE*
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Marvin: Hue I know you are looking to be a head coach again and you deserve the shot. Dalton had his best year under you and if you stay, me and Mike have decided that you are next in line in our succession plan. We really like this continuity thing, and we want to build on the foundation you established with the Offense.

Hue: Thank you Marvin and I appreciate MB thinking so highly of me to turn the franchise over to me once you leave. I'll talk it over with the wifey and make my decision tomorrow. When do you plan on stepping down?

Marvin: 2033....... Hue.. Hue? Hue?

Schefter: Hue announced as Clevelands Head Coach. Presser to come at 5pm.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Hue: Marvin, just wanna thank you for hiring me to a made up position when nobody else would hire me. Now, excuse me while I go to Cleveland and do everything I can to rob and pick clean the roster you built.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 03:28 PM)McC Wrote: Hue:  Marvin, just wanna thank you for hiring me to a made up position when nobody else would hire me.  Now, excuse me while I go to Cleveland and do everything I can to rob and pick clean the roster you built.

That is the nature of the business, and I'm certain there are no hard feelings between Marvin and Hue.  Marvin had to know, and support, that Hue would take another shot at being a Head Coach when it was offered.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 03:41 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: That is the nature of the business, and I'm certain there are no hard feelings between Marvin and Hue.  Marvin had to know, and support, that Hue would take another shot at being a Head Coach when it was offered.

I'd imagine you're right. Marvin did a good thing for a friend and the Bengals by bringing in Hue but sadly it seems that move could really hurt the Bengals if the Browns end up being competitors. That's a big if though.

Personally I'd have a hard time going to Cleveland. Hue had the option to coach the offense for as long as he wanted while keeping his eyes open for a better gig then the Browns. After experiencing what it was like to coach a dumpster fire franchise before you think he would've learned after the first time he got burnt. The last reason which some won't believe is that I would actually show my gratitude towards the Bengals by not going to a division rival.
Reply/Quote
Marvin has no problem with people moving from one AFCN team to another... it's not like he used to be a Raven or anything.... He would be a hypocrite if he cared.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 04:28 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Marvin has no problem with people moving from one AFCN team to another... it's not like he used to be a Raven or anything.... He would be a hypocrite if he cared.

That's like a fraction of the story though.
Reply/Quote
Marvin: Hue now you won't be able to fart in my office anymore.

Hue: Well, sure beats farting on the sidelines all those years from you. And your farts stink BTW.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 04:20 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: I'd imagine you're right. Marvin did a good thing for a friend and the Bengals by bringing in Hue but sadly it seems that move could really hurt the Bengals if the Browns end up being competitors. That's a big if though.

Personally I'd have a hard time going to Cleveland. Hue had the option to coach the offense for as long as he wanted while keeping his eyes open for a better gig then the Browns. After experiencing what it was like to coach a dumpster fire franchise before you think he would've learned after the first time he got burnt. The last reason which some won't believe is that I would actually show my gratitude towards the Bengals by not going to a division rival.

Imagine the ego it takes to be a successful coach, especially head coach, in the NFL.  Now imagine the stature that will be afforded to the person who finally turns it around in Cleveland.  That ego is going to tell someone "you're the guy that can do this, you can succeed where others have failed".  The Browns actually have quite a few good players and he gets to pick his quarterback.  I was not very surprised that he ended up in Cleveland.
Reply/Quote
Marvin knew that Hue wanted to be a head coach when he hired him.  That is the way it works in the NFL.  Marvin understands.

As for Hue not wanting to go the Browns, I think a lot of people don't understand the ego of an NFL head coach.  They all think they are good enough to fix anything.  Right now Hue is 100% convinced that he will be able to turn the Browns around.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 04:38 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Imagine the ego it takes to be a successful coach, especially head coach, in the NFL.  Now imagine the stature that will be afforded to the person who finally turns it around in Cleveland.  That ego is going to tell someone "you're the guy that can do this, you can succeed where others have failed".  The Browns actually have quite a few good players and he gets to pick his quarterback.  I was not very surprised that he ended up in Cleveland.

(02-04-2016, 04:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Marvin knew that Hue wanted to be a head coach when he hired him.  That is the way it works in the NFL.  Marvin understands.

As for Hue not wanting to go the Browns, I think a lot of people don't understand the ego of an NFL head coach.  They all think they are good enough to fix anything.  Right now Hue is 100% convinced that he will be able to turn the Browns around.

Looks like we posted the same thing at the same time.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 04:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Looks like we posted the same thing at the same time.

My nine year old daughter would say "jinx"  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
The beauty of the turnover rate of coaches in Cleveland is that we will have Hue back next season.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 04:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Marvin knew that Hue wanted to be a head coach when he hired him.  That is the way it works in the NFL.  Marvin understands.

No doubt.  And I hope we have plenty to do with preventing that from happening.

I'm also hoping he tries to take the quick fix shortcut route that has backfired on others in the past.

Even if the ownership has promised him X amount of time to turn it around, he has to have it in the back of his mind that they probably told his predecessors the same thing and look where it got them.

IMO, Hue will be pushing hard for immediate results.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
Here's a thought...

Was promoting Hue over Zampese a mistake for the OC job? No doubt he was the best guy for the job but it seemed like one way or another we were destined to see Zampese be the OC some day. So I guess it boils down to was it beneficial enough to Andy and the offense to lose a year a continuity with the new coordinator? Or we could be a year into realizing he's not our guy.

Could've let someone else hire Hue as their coordinator and things could've unraveled differently. Hindsight is 20/20 though.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 04:20 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: I'd imagine you're right. Marvin did a good thing for a friend and the Bengals by bringing in Hue but sadly it seems that move could really hurt the Bengals if the Browns end up being competitors. That's a big if though.

I'm not saying Hue is going to turn the Browns around, but I don't understand how you can think Hue is nuts for taking a HC position with a crap team but also have a signature featuring a coordinator who left the almighty Bengals to take over a 5-win team that was in QB limbo.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 05:07 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm not saying Hue is going to turn the Browns around, but I don't understand how you can think Hue is nuts for taking a HC position with a crap team but also have a signature featuring a coordinator who left the almighty Bengals to take over a 5-win team that was in QB limbo.

Is the Vikings owner a meddling moron?

Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 05:09 PM)McC Wrote: Is the Vikings owner a meddling moron?

I can't tell if you are using this as an argument to avoid the Browns or the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 05:16 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I can't tell if you are using this as an argument to avoid the Browns or the Bengals.

Well, considering Mike doesn't really do any meddling any more, what do you think?

Reply/Quote