Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
"Marvin is too conservative" babies almost cost us the game
Marvin decided to go for it instead of turning to fat Randy for a field goal in the first drive of the game.

We didn't get it, and those FG points he left off the board would've made the gap too big for the Bucs to overcome.

You babies almost cost us the game. Conservative Marvin would've put the game out of reach.

Stop complaining about Marv's conservatism. Thanks.
Reply/Quote
What? Lewis is not much of a HC at all if he changes his play calling based on what fans think. He probably gambled because he thought that their O would put up yards after a punt anyway.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2018, 09:59 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: What? Lewis is not much of a HC at all if he changes his play calling based on what fans think. He probably gambled because he thought that their O would put up yards after a punt anyway.

Let me rephrase:

We did it their way, and it almost cost us the game.
Reply/Quote
I don't have a problem with conservative play calling especially when you have the right players all playing well. Big time gamblers often get burnt. We've been badly burnt on gambling before and conversly have been burnt playing too conservative. Every game is different though. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Actually Marvin went for it twice in the first half. One of them leading to a TD. IF we make the FGs on both plays we score six points. The TD and xp gave us 7.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-28-2018, 10:03 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Actually Marvin went for it twice in the first half. One of them leading to a TD. IF we make the FGs on both plays we score six points. The TD and xp gave us 7.

Yeah. The second time it was 4th & 3 on the 36. I see that as a common sense call there, since it was windy and a 53 yarder.

However IF Marvin was being really conservative there, he would have had the offense take a delay a game, then have Huber try to pin them down. Chances of making a field goal from there with that wind was probably pretty small.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(10-28-2018, 09:51 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Marvin decided to go for it instead of turning to fat Randy for a field goal in the first drive of the game.

We didn't get it, and those FG points he left off the board would've made the gap too big for the Bucs to overcome.

You babies almost cost us the game. Conservative Marvin would've put the game out of reach.

I think most people, myself included, are complaining about his conservative approach when he PUNTS the ball from the 40 on 4th and 1... completely different scenario entirely. I would have kicked the field goal although the wind was bad so its quite honestly  a toss up there. 

So you have it all wrong i am afraid. The wind being a factor is probably the reason he went for it. Not us fans or him all of a sudden being aggressive. 

And no, i will never stop complaining about marvins conservative approach.  It is quite honestly one of his least desirable coaching qualities. 
Reply/Quote
I think Marvin mistook "Don't be so conservative" with "make brash and reckless decisions more often."

The 4th and 1 on the ~35 to 40 yard line in the Pitt game was worth the risk because all a punt gets you is ~15 to 20 yards with the risk of a return cutting it even shorter with a bad defense that can't stop anything. Too long for a field goal, too short for a punt. Often called "No Man's Land."

The 4th and 1 today was in easy field goal range and was done with no real reason in my opinion.

I liked the aggressiveness. (And I loved the 2nd 4th down decision). The execution and reasoning was just a little off.

It was nice seeing the Bengals do something a little unlike them though.
Reply/Quote
Marvin's achilles is his time management, period.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2018, 10:03 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Actually Marvin went for it twice in the first half. One of them leading to a TD. IF we make the FGs on both plays we score six points. The TD and xp gave us 7.

Don't let little things like facts get in the way of a thread dedicated to excusing away Marvin Ball in the 2nd half by blaming the thing that got them a 21 point lead in the first place.

Threads like this make me miss neg rep a little. There's just no proper way to possibly convey how awful it it with just a star ranking.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2018, 10:25 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I think Marvin mistook "Don't be so conservative" with "make brash and reckless decisions more often."

The 4th and 1 on the ~35 to 40 yard line in the Pitt game was worth the risk because all a punt gets you is ~15 to 20 yards with the risk of a return cutting it even shorter with a bad defense that can't stop anything. Too long for a field goal, too short for a punt. Often called "No Man's Land."

The 4th and 1 today was in easy field goal range and was done with no real reason in my opinion.

I liked the aggressiveness. (And I loved the 2nd 4th down decision). The execution and reasoning was just a little off.

It was nice seeing the Bengals do something a little unlike them though.

This. I liked them both....need to get the offense rolling and go for the jugular after the shitty performance the week prior. I didn't necessarily like the play call on the first one, but I liked the decision.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Marv hasn’t changed, settle down. It was a bad day for FG due to crazy wind patterns at field level. If it were normal weather he wouldn’t have gone for it.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2018, 10:01 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Let me rephrase:

We did it their way, and it almost cost us the game.
What almost cost us the game was them playing like crap in the second half. If we had a head coach with enough balls to get into the grill of his players on the sideline he might wake them up enough to score some points and not hold on to a led that is slipping away fast.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2018, 09:51 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Marvin decided to go for it instead of turning to fat Randy for a field goal in the first drive of the game.

There's a window somewhere that your silly theory is flying out of right now.  Mellow

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote

Be sure and tell this to Sean McVeigh who did the EXACT same thing against Green Bay, yet won and is undefeated.  It is a mindset and sometimes it takes an ounce of creativity in which play you call.  

Ditto how many times Andy Reid is going for it on fourth down....a one loss team.

We will complain about his conservatism which goes WAY beyond one play call decision.  
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2018, 01:23 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: What almost cost us the game was them playing like crap in the second half. If we had a head coach with enough balls to get into the grill of his players on the sideline he might wake them up enough to score some points and not hold on to a led that is slipping away fast.

Yeah, right, all it takes to be a great coach is to squeal really loud.
Reply/Quote
Even though they didn't convert... I LOVE the fact that they went for it on 4th down.
Reply/Quote
Gotta take risks to win. It also boosts morale to the players. Gets them used to 4th downs too. What if we have to go for it on 4th down in the SuperBowl? It won't be their 1st rodeo.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 11:16 AM)Tomkat Wrote: Even though they didn't convert... I LOVE the fact that they went for it on 4th down.

Agreed!

But why can't he do it in big games?
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 12:36 PM)clevelandsdad Wrote: Agreed!

But why can't he do it in big games?

Hey Marv!

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=10583070]
Reply/Quote