Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin likely back
This guy hits the nail on the head with this last line:

"Brown hates change, doesn't like giving up power and doesn't like spending big bucks, which are all things he would have to do if he wanted to bring in a new coach and coaching staff. "

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/marvin-lewis-might-actually-end-up-returning-as-bengals-coach-next-season/
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
With our entire staff not under contract as of now, I would think if MB wanted Marvin back he would have to at least let ML pick out out his own staff?
Reply/Quote
Wake me up when BOTH Marv and Mikey are gone and this team is no longer the Cincinnati Pit Of Misery.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 09:02 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: This guy hits the nail on the head with this last line:

"Brown hates change, doesn't like giving up power and doesn't like spending big bucks, which are all things he would have to do if he wanted to bring in a new coach and coaching staff. "

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/marvin-lewis-might-actually-end-up-returning-as-bengals-coach-next-season/

Actually I think he is totally wrong on the "money", Lewis is around 12th highest paid right now.. no way the new coach will be above that.. might guess is also the long term coaches are paid at a better rate also than some one guys coming in with probably less experience.  Over the last 5 years, the Browns have continued to pay pretty well with long term contracts, they just don;t pay big FA contracts and are thin with amount of coaches, scouts etc.. that is where they save money but they are not cheap in contracts with coaches and players.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 09:13 PM)Takedown Wrote: With our entire staff not under contract as of now, I would think if MB wanted Marvin back he would have to at least let ML pick out out his own staff?

I imagine they will keep who they can and promote from within for anyone who leaves. 
Reply/Quote
The coordinators and position coaches will interview elsewhere, and when nobody bites they'll come crawling back for cheap.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Not the most encouraging read. My gut is suddenly killing me...

Despite all of the responses and things written by the author that would point to Lewis coming back as HC, one thing jumps into my mind. Is or was that presser just a smoke show? When had Marvin ever really been forthcoming and truly honest in anything that he's ever said to the media?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Marvin will be back with much more control, so annoying, but whatever I will be watching but not spending. Maybe we can get Jack Del Rio to coach the Defense at least. Lazor will stay at OC.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 09:20 PM)Big Boss Wrote: The coordinators and position coaches will interview elsewhere, and when nobody bites they'll come crawling back for cheap.

I doubt there will be a lot of interest for our position coaches or coordinators ? And I'd say if indeed Marvin is back the bulk of the staff will be to. It's a win - win for Mike.

I can't imagine Marvin coming back and agreeing to P. Alexander being still in place. But I also can't imagine Mike letting his favorite go either.

My guess is little will change.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 09:13 PM)Takedown Wrote: With our entire staff not under contract as of now, I would think if MB wanted Marvin back he would have to at least let ML pick out out his own staff?

Let's hope but Mike doesn't like letting go of his power. If he truly does I'll be shocked.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 09:45 PM)740Bengal Wrote: Lazor will stay at OC.

Vomit.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 09:57 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Vomit.

Why vomit?  The offense immediately became competitive (for the most part) after Lazor took over.  Heck, for all we know, he may be responsible for the change in blocking scheme on the OL, that led to rushing success later in the season.  If given a full offseason, camp, and preseason to fully implement his plan, he might just be good.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
He's had fourteen games to implement some of his own ideas and we still finished the year with one of the worst offensive units ever fielded in the Super Bowl era. His offense disappeared in the second half of games almost all season long. At a certain point it's not Zampese's fault anymore.

Absolutely no reason to bring him back.
Reply/Quote
Then I'm likely gone. Hockey is better anyway.
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 09:15 PM)Interceptor Wrote: Wake me up when BOTH Marv and Mikey are gone and this team is no longer the Cincinnati Pit Of Misery.

Dilly Dilly.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 10:08 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Why vomit?  The offense immediately became competitive (for the most part) after Lazor took over.  Heck, for all we know, he may be responsible for the change in blocking scheme on the OL, that led to rushing success later in the season.  If given a full offseason, camp, and preseason to fully implement his plan, he might just be good.

I know stats aren't everything but he had 14 games and isn't our offense dead last in the NFL?  
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 11:02 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I know stats aren't everything but he had 14 games and isn't our offense dead last in the NFL?  

Lazor wasn't going to turn this into an elite offense no matter what. The personnel just wasn't there (or wasn't utilized). Either way, it comes down to the fact that there will be a new offense next year no matter what, whether it be Lazor employing his playbook or someone else. I'd be more comfortable if we did not bring him on again and had a fresh start. 
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 11:02 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I know stats aren't everything but he had 14 games and isn't our offense dead last in the NFL?  

In no way do I blame Lazor for what has amounted to a train wreck of an offense this season. But I wouldn't be really upset if they move on from him. I'm not sure he had any real answers ? Zampese was just so bad anything was an improvement.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 10:08 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Why vomit?  The offense immediately became competitive (for the most part) after Lazor took over.  Heck, for all we know, he may be responsible for the change in blocking scheme on the OL, that led to rushing success later in the season.  If given a full offseason, camp, and preseason to fully implement his plan, he might just be good.

Dude was OC for 14 games. Guess which offense was the worst in the league at moving the ball?

Anything would have been an improvement of Zampese. I dont give out praise when someone flushes the toilet and the room smells slightly less like shit.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 11:07 PM)treee Wrote: Lazor wasn't going to turn this into an elite offense no matter what. The personnel just wasn't there (or wasn't utilized). Either way, it comes down to the fact that there will be a new offense next year no matter what, whether it be Lazor employing his playbook or someone else. I'd be more comfortable if we did not bring him on again and had a fresh start. 

But we are so bad. So bad in a league where a number of teams were trotting out 2nd or 3rd or worse options at QB this year. 

There is elite and then there is off the bottom rung.  
Reply/Quote