Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin needs to give Lebeau a call ASAP.
hey Marvin while its nice to be 3 and 1, our defense has some major issues on the back end.
it not would hurt to call up.Dick Lebeau and see if he would not be opposed to being
in a advisor role on defense.
hes been out of football but Bruce Ariens said he would like to.come back to football.
lets get real...his resume buries Austins by light years and Im seeing players in the secondary
regress.
Cmon Marv you brought back Jim McNally to help with the oline. Housh helped out John Ross.
you cant be happy with the job Austin is doing.
another set of eyes can only be a good thing.
LeBeau has forgotten more than Austin knows.
I know Im.dreamin...but it would be a savy move.
Reply/Quote
I guess you're forgetting LeBeau was fired by the Bengals so it's not much of a stretch to think he'd tell ol Mikey to take a flying leap off the I-75 bridge into the Ohio river .
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2018, 10:33 PM)impactplaya Wrote: hey Marvin while its nice to be 3 and 1, our defense has some major issues on the back end.
it not would hurt to call up.Dick Lebeau and see if he would not be opposed to being
hes been out of football but Bruce Ariens said he would like to.come back to football.
lets get real...his resume buries Austins by light years and Im seeing players in the secondary
regress.
Cmon Marv you brought back Jim McNally to help with the oline. Housh helped out John Ross.

They run completely different systems.  LeBeau ran a 3-4 zone blitz scheme, while Austin runs a 4-3.  His advice wouldn't really transfer over.
Reply/Quote
when LeBeau was head coach Mark Duffer ran a 43 defense under LeBeau.so LeBeau is well aware on how a 43 is ran.
Reply/Quote
He doesn't work for the Titans any more?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
While he seems to defy age, at 81 I imagine that he's had about all the fun he can have with the rigors of NFL coaching. I am many years his younger and can tell you that it isn't all good days regardless of how hard one tries to stay 100% focused. Even as a part-time consultant, I doubt he'd be comfortable with it beyond a few days.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
He hasn't been a good defensive coach in years, not sure why people are framing him as a savior. His last year he had a better than average defense was 2011.
Reply/Quote
The key to all of LeBeaus good defenses were good linebacker play. The Bengals linebacker play so far this season have been average. Hopefully with Burfict coming back in that needle can start to swing towards the good direction.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2018, 11:58 AM)Au165 Wrote: He hasn't been a good defensive coach in years, not sure why people are framing him as a savior. His last year he had a better than average defense was 2011.

True, but I'd take Lebeau and his average defense over Austin and his perma-prevent defense any day  Whatever
Reply/Quote
Austin is in 1st year. Good grief. Guys need to get used to his defense. Things will come around.

Reply/Quote
(10-02-2018, 10:33 PM)impactplaya Wrote: hey Marvin while its nice to be 3 and 1, our defense has some major issues on the back end.
regress.

This is a decent idea really. The 3-4 versus 4-3 thing is over blown. LaBeau knows both and the back end secondary is what the OP is point out as the weak spot.

Reply/Quote
Defenses on a whole do not look good this season.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Scoring is up across the league. Some people say it is because of the new rules protecting the quarterbacks...I'm not sure that is it or what. That said there is mos def room for improvement on our defensive side of the ball. For a "ball hawking" defense to not get any turnovers at all against Atlanta or Carolina is concerning. Yes I realize Austin is new but I still think he can do better than this. Holding a team to under 20 points once in awhile would be a nice start.

Miami might be a bit under-rated as people treat them like a 3-1 team instead of a 1-3 team but I still believe we can hold them to a low score and put up more points than them if the team is properly prepared.

Reply/Quote
(10-04-2018, 07:16 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: True, but I'd take Lebeau and his average defense over Austin and his perma-prevent defense any day  Whatever

He was average against offenses who weren't as good. Offense this year is on a historic pace, I'm guessing it would look similar to what we are seeing right now.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2018, 11:05 AM)Au165 Wrote: He was average against offenses who weren't as good. Offense this year is on a historic pace, I'm guessing it would look similar to what we are seeing right now.

Possibly... But this overall soft scheme being run by Austin is pathetic. I despise soft, zone defense. Yes, of course I want to lead the league in takeaways too. But getting off the field on third down has to be a top priority and I just don't think it is. This looks exactly like the Chuck Bresnahan days. His defenses forced plenty of turnovers but they finished 26th or worse in overall defense every year he was in charge. That won't win you many games... And let's be real here: we are very lucky to be 3-1. We could just as easily be 0-4. Defense has been the obvious hindrance. I don't see it getting any better until Teryl is relieved of his duties.  
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2018, 12:47 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Possibly... But this overall soft scheme being run by Austin is pathetic. I despise soft, zone defense. Yes, of course I want to lead the league in takeaways too. But getting off the field on third down has to be a top priority and I just don't think it is. This looks exactly like the Chuck Bresnahan days. His defenses forced plenty of turnovers but they finished 26th or worse in overall defense every year he was in charge. That won't win you many games... And let's be real here: we are very lucky to be 3-1. We could just as easily be 0-4. Defense has been the obvious hindrance. I don't see it getting any better until Teryl is relieved of his duties.  

In the first half of the Atlanta game the Bengals played a ton of man single high and got roasted. In the second half they played both zone and man but we're brining 5 blitzers.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
There has to be someone else out there that can be brought in as "assistant" DC to take over next year
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(10-04-2018, 01:17 PM)Synric Wrote: In the first half of the Atlanta game the Bengals played a ton of man single high and got roasted. In the second half they played both zone and man but we're brining 5 blitzers.

Most people have no clue about cushion and why you have it based on coverage and responsibilities. They expect every play to be press man and anytime a pass is caught in off coverage it’s considered the wrong call. It’s almost as if people think press man is some sort of unbeatable defense.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2018, 01:17 PM)Synric Wrote: In the first half of the Atlanta game the Bengals played a ton of man single high and got roasted. In the second half they played both zone and man but we're brining 5 blitzers.

(10-04-2018, 01:36 PM)Au165 Wrote: Most people have no clue about cushion and why you have it based on coverage and responsibilities. They expect every play to be press man and anytime a pass is caught in off coverage it’s considered the wrong call. It’s almost as if people think press man is some sort of unbeatable defense.

And they act like the bengals are the only team in the league that plays soem off the line.
Reply/Quote