Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin needs to resign
(01-10-2016, 08:08 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: Yet he has as many playoff wins as Marvin.

So lack of playoff wins does not matter to you?

I thought that was all that mattered.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 07:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He is on a five year streak where he has been more successful than an overwhelming majority of his competitors.

I can not think of another profession where that gets you fired.

No way he leaves without winning a playoff game.  He has a young talented team to work with.  No one in his position would resign.

Wait, what?  

Success isn't merely making the playoffs. The goal every year is to win the Super Bowl.  Prior to Coughlin stepping down the two longest tenured coaches besides Lewis have 6 Super Bowl wins between them.  

Marvin cant do that even with a 12-4 team. Your kind of thinking is precisely why this team will never win a postseason game.  
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 08:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Lots of other teams would love to make the playoffs 5 years in a row.

What profession do you work in where being one of the most successful in the world gets you fired?

Is being the 12 best of 32 companies one of the "most successful?" Most CEOs would disagree.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 08:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Lots of other teams would love to make the playoffs 5 years in a row.

What profession do you work in where being one of the most successful in the world gets you fired?

Yes, he's been very successful in the regular season over the last 5 years. However, in terms of the postseason, he is the single worst in NFL history.

(01-10-2016, 08:12 PM)fredtoast Wrote: How many playoff coaches get fired each year?  It is very rare that it happens.

In most cases, it is a rarity. But, when you've achieved multiple records for playoff futility...the case isn't at all the norm.
Reply/Quote
I think Marvin submitting his resignation would be a very classy way for him to depart the organization. He has done so many positive things here but his failure to get to the next level is tarnishing many of the good he has accomplished. At the very least, I feel if he did so, Brown would consider offering him another position in the organization. It would create a perception to the fanbase that the organization is still dedicated to winning. For the most part, I feel many fans would hate to see him leave, they just don't want him as HC anymore. It's not working.

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 08:15 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: Is being the 12 best of 32 companies one of the "most successful?" Most CEOs would disagree.

Only 4 teams have won more games than the Bengals over the last 5 seasons.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 08:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Only 4 teams have won more games than the Bengals over the last 5 seasons.

And......
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 08:19 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I think Marvin submitting his resignation would be a very classy way for him to depart the organization. He has done so many positive things here but his failure to get to the next level is tarnishing many of the good he has accomplished. At the very least, I feel if he did so, Brown would consider offering him another position in the organization. It would create a perception to the fanbase that the organization is still dedicated to winning. For the most part, I feel many fans would hate to see him leave, they just don't want him as HC anymore. It's not working.

Kind of a Catch 22 for Marvin.  Last night was, by far, the closest he has come to winning one of these.  OTOH, the way it ended is enough to make a guy throw up his hands in defeat.  

Can he really leave with that cloud over his head?  If he stays, will the cloud just get bigger?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 08:18 PM)Bengalholic Wrote:  in terms of the postseason, he is the single worst in NFL history.

He has made it to the postseason more than 95% of the coaches in NFL history.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 08:22 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: And......

And that proves he is better than 12th.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 07:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He is on a five year streak where he has been more successful than an overwhelming majority of his competitors.

No way he leaves without winning a playoff game.  He has a young talented team to work with.  No one in his position would resign.

Excuse me?  What in the world are you smoking? You think he's going to win a playoff game?  In that case, he's NEVER leaving because he can't win a playoff game.  13 freaking years.  13!

Take off the blinders man
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 08:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And you have no response.

Just waiting for you to explain how being 12th out of 32 companies is considered an overwhelming success in the business world. Continue....
Reply/Quote

The object of the game is to advance in the playoffs - nothing but epic fail and now the payroll is about to bust and the window begins to close.

He's not going anywhere until Mikey boy kicks the bucket.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 08:29 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: Just waiting for you to explain how being 12th out of 32 companies is considered an overwhelming success in the business world. Continue....

He is fifth in wins, not 12th.

And tied for first in playoff appearances.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 08:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And that proves he is better than 12th.

I understand defending Marvin in general, but you have been saying you need to see how the game unfolds to decide if you think he should be fired. After last night do you think he should be fired. 0/7 and 5 in a row is straight up ridiculous, but the fact we have done so well building and playing in the regular season has bought him time. Do you think the way the game was lost and the reports that he has lost control of a few players in the locker room affects your opinion? 

Last night was an embarrassment all around. Do you think he should be fired? 
[Image: what%2Bday%2Bis%2Bit.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 08:29 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: Just waiting for you to explain how being 12th out of 32 companies is considered an overwhelming success in the business world. Continue....

Most NFL teams must consider it a success because it is very very rare for a playoff coach to get fired.  I can only think of a couple of examples in the last decade.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 08:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He has made it to the postseason more than 95% of the coaches in NFL history.

And the result is that his teams lost each time, making him the only HC in NFL history to go 0-7. 

I'm all for giving him credit for the regular accomplishments, but with that said, the record setting postseasons failures can't be ignored or dismissed. And, at some point, the inability to achieve the end result (given multiple opportunities) has to matter. 
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 08:33 PM)MrRager Wrote: I understand defending Marvin in general, but you have been saying you need to see how the game unfolds to decide if you think he should be fired. After last night do you think he should be fired. 0/7 and 5 in a row is straight up ridiculous, but the fact we have done so well building and playing in the regular season has bought him time. Do you think the way the game was lost and the reports that he has lost control of a few players in the locker room affects your opinion? 

Last night was an embarrassment all around. Do you think he should be fired? 

I don't really know what to think.  On one hand I thought we played well considering we had our back up QB in there, but on the other hand the end of the game was out of control.

But if we had a coach that had benched or cut Burfict and Jones then we would not even have been in the playoffs at all.
Reply/Quote
Marvin Lewis feasts on the shitty teams, loses regularly to the better teams and has had his
ass handed to him every time he's walked on the field in the playoffs.

An assembler of talent who has no control and an uncanny inability to manage his team, particularly
when under pressure.

Look no further than Marvin's prime time record to compliment his 0fer lifetime accomplishments
in postseason.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 08:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't really know what to think.  On one hand I thought we played well considering we had our back up QB in there, but on the other hand the end of the game was out of control.

But if we had a coach that had benched or cut Burfict and Jones then we would not even have been in the playoffs at all.

I don't think he should have necessarily benched or cut them before last night, but there has to be a way to discipline these guys. Maybe, Marvin himself should have been over there to make sure Pacman didn't get that last penalty and Burfict should never have been allowed to be near Brown when he was getting up, regardless of if he was saying sorry or not. It is pretty obvious that would cause an issue with others. 

I honestly don't know what to do, but if the report from ESPN is true I think that is extremely damning. That means the locker room is decently divided and some blame Marvin for letting these players run wild. Leaks like this are usually not very good. 
[Image: what%2Bday%2Bis%2Bit.jpg]
Reply/Quote