Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin on The Team's Reaction to Winning a Playoff Berth
Quote:Well, winning the division is big. I think that’s a key element, so I’m proud of them for that. Somebody told me I think it’s the third time that we’ve done it in the last seven years, so that’s key. It’s a good thing for our guys. I’m proud of them for that, but there’s enthusiasm in there, but not many smiles. So, they know there’s a lot of work ahead. I don’t know, I almost feel bad for them. They didn’t really enjoy this today. They know what’s ahead. We got a big game coming up again, but we’ve come a long ways for that.

Sounds like the team has really embraced the "Act like you've been there before" approach. I think they got the mental toughness to make a run this year the big question is obviously Mr.Dalton and his thumb.
Reply/Quote
We clinched a playoff spot, but not the division....yet
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2015, 03:18 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: We clinched a playoff spot, but not the division....yet

LOL whoops.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2015, 03:18 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: LOL whoops.

I know.....when I was watching his interview, I'm thinking "Why are you congratulating them for a third division win when we only got a playoff spot today?"
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
I'm confused. Using ESPN's playoff machine, every scenario where I entered us as losing our last two, Pittsburgh winning out, with Arizona winning out (which effects Pittsburgh's SOV), still has us winning the division. These tiebreakers are confusing every year
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2015, 03:30 PM)LebanonFan Wrote: I'm confused.  Using ESPN's playoff machine, every scenario where I entered us as losing our last two, Pittsburgh winning out, with Arizona winning out (which effects Pittsburgh's SOV), still has us winning the division.  These tiebreakers are confusing every year

I think the ESPN program is wrong.  The Steelers are well ahead in SOV.  I heard the yahoo playoff program is correct.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
He must have been scoreboard watching and not saw the Steelers come back. Hopefully he didn't pass out the AFCN hats. That would have been a huge #fail moment for the media to go crazy about.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
When you read the press conference transcripts everyone seems to be under the impression we won the AFC North. Even the reporters were asking questions about how it felt to win the AFC North.
Reply/Quote
Who cares about the reporters, it's funnier to think Marvin thought/thinks we won the AFC-N (based on his quote). So did we, or did we not win it already? lol.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2015, 03:51 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Who cares about the reporters, it's funnier to think Marvin thought/thinks we won the AFC-N (based on his quote). So did we, or did we not win it already? lol.

I guess at the time he was interviewed, the Steelers hadn't won yet
Reply/Quote
It is kind of comical. And sad to think he was so excited about winning the AFCN.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2015, 04:11 PM)jj22 Wrote: It is kind of comical. And sad to think he was so excited about winning the AFCN.

He's focused all week on preparing for the SF game.  I doubt he puts much effort into knowing all the clinching scenarios with 3 weeks left in the season.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2015, 03:15 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Sounds like the team has really embraced the "Act like you've been there before" approach. I think they got the mental toughness to make a run this year the big question is obviously Mr.Dalton and his thumb.

I'd have to add that Marvin Lewis is another big question.  Can he finally prepare a team for a playoff game and actually win it?
[Image: PApinhead-Sig-1_2.png]

Sig compliments of ExtraRadiohead
Reply/Quote
So the players aren't celebrating their 5th straight playoff trip? Sounds like they realize there's bigger goals than simply making the playoffs. I've adopted a similar mentality as a fan. It's playoff success or bust for this team. They're just too good to expect anything less.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2015, 05:07 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: So the players aren't celebrating their 5th straight playoff trip? Sounds like they realize there's bigger goals than simply making the playoffs. I've adopted a similar mentality as a fan. It's playoff success or bust for this team. They're just too good to expect anything less.

I would even add that just winning one playoff game isn't enough for this team.  If Dalton comes back close to 100%, we should expect more from this group.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2015, 03:51 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Who cares about the reporters, it's funnier to think Marvin thought/thinks we won the AFC-N (based on his quote). So did we, or did we not win it already? lol.

well the only way we can possibly lose it is losing to the 53 man practice squad the ravens bring to town....

thats the only way we would have the same divisional record as Pitt and only reason the SoV would even matter.

(12-23-2015, 05:07 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: So the players aren't celebrating their 5th straight playoff trip? Sounds like they realize there's bigger goals than simply making the playoffs. I've adopted a similar mentality as a fan. It's playoff success or bust for this team. They're just too good to expect anything less.

With Dalton Agreed.

Without Dalton... its a stretch.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2015, 05:07 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: So the players aren't celebrating their 5th straight playoff trip? Sounds like they realize there's bigger goals than simply making the playoffs. I've adopted a similar mentality as a fan. It's playoff success or bust for this team. They're just too good to expect anything less.

That's where I'm at. I was happy we made the playoffs, but we need at least 1 postseason win this year for me to celebrate anything.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote

Agree, making the playoffs 5 X in a row, a hundred X in a row,  with the same end result - 1 and done all....... equal failure.

Just making the playoffs again = NOTHING !

(12-23-2015, 05:11 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I would even add that just winning one playoff game isn't enough for this team.  If Dalton comes back close to 100%, we should expect more from this group.

Agree,

I've heard several announcers/media types saying this and I totally agree. "If not now when" ? 
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2015, 05:20 PM)PApinhead Wrote: I'd have to add that Marvin Lewis is another big question.  Can he finally prepare a team for a playoff game and actually win it?

Marvin was asked that question too and he said " Winning a playoff game was a great accomplishment, but there is still work to do" .
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2015, 05:20 PM)PApinhead Wrote: I'd have to add that Marvin Lewis is another big question.  Can he finally prepare a team for a playoff game and actually win it?

Exactly, can the guy coach like a Playoff coach? He has been out coached everytime so far...

Most definately, the players are the only reason i have any confidence in this team going all the way, not Marv.
Reply/Quote