Poll: How Hot is Marvin's britches ? Hot seat thermometer Poll
Ice Cold - 5 wins or less but can come up with reasons why like injuries etc
Comfy Cool – below .500 record but he’s still Mike Brown’s guy
In between and Just right – 8 and 8 or Barely misses the Playoffs makes Mikey happy enough
Too many blankets warm – must reach the Playoffs or else
Desert Hot – must win a Playoff game
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin's Hot Seat thermometer POLL - He may really be on the Hot Seat this time.
He's never leaving...... Cry
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
If John Ross doesn't play a down this year due to injury and Joe Mixon gets suspended forever Marvin Lewis will still have his job.

Reply/Quote
I'm trying to keep the hope alive that changes are coming, Marvin among them. But Mike's history being as it is, I can totally see Marvin staying until he decides to quit and/or Mike is no longer running the show.
Reply/Quote
I feel like if he doesn't break even (8-8) then Mikey will do some real soul searching. But I think if he is able to scratch his way to 9-7 or better than Marv will get another 1 year extension.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2017, 05:01 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: if that were the Case marvin wouldn't only be getting 1 year deals... and wouldn't be entering a lame duck season again.

It is well documented that the two are close, and Mike already addressed Marvins lack of an extension months ago. Both saw it as not a big deal, and cited examples from decades ago when it was the norm to have 1-2 year contracts. I won't be shocked at all if Marvin is extended less than a week after the regular season, regardless of the outcome. 
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2017, 05:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This.

Remember when the chronic whiners around here  were crying about how we would never ever ever part ways with Peko or Maualuga?

If we don't make the playoffs in '17 Marvin is out as HC.

If we make the playoffs and get blown out again Marvin is out as HC.

If we make the playoffs and lose at home to a team we should beat Marvin is out as HC.

I hope you're right, I really do. But if Marvin was brought back after the disaster that was 2010, how can you be so confident this will be Marv's last ride? 

I have a sickening feeling that only way Marvin isn't here next year is if he retires/leaves on his own. I can't see his buddy Mike firing him or not re-sign him. It'll come down to salary negotiations based on the team's performance this year. Or...

Maybe Marvin is going into this season intending to retire at the end, regardless of the outcome (we can only hope).

Btw who was whining about Peko or Maualuga never leaving? Sure, plenty justifiably complained about them and hoped they would leave. But I can't remember a mass of posters bitching about them being in Cincy  for life.
Reply/Quote
No he's not.
Formerly w8ing 4 '08
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Now suppose we have an unbeaten regular season, 16-0 then once again lose that first playoff game. It makes it tough to pull the trigger and fire him. Sure, everyone wants to go deep into the playoffs and even win the whole shooting match and there's no doubt that if it did play out as 16-0 then 1 and done plenty of people will scream for Marvin's head, but that undefeated regular season would certainly toss a wrench into people's desire to see Marvin gone..
This is just a what if scenario, but if it happens like this then what? 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Poll should be a moot point, he should've been sent packing after 2010.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
It should be noted that Marvin Lewis never had two losing seasons in a row. In fact, he's only ever had three losing seasons as HC of the Bengals including last year, and he followed up his first two with playoff berths. If he doesn't at least make 8-8, I think he's gone. If he hits at least 8-8 but doesn't make the playoffs, I think that's where the uncertainty lies.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-08-2017, 01:19 PM)Wyche Wrote: Poll should be a moot point, he should've been sent packing after 2010.

HE WAS!!!

then due to the Lockout  He was brought back
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2017, 01:32 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: HE WAS!!!

then due to the Lockout  He was brought back

The way I understood it, it was Marv that refused the initial offer.

Reply/Quote
Marvin Lewis will be around for a long time. Mike Brown will stick with him as long as it takes to win a Super Bowl. Heck, maybe even after that.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2017, 01:40 PM)Wyche Wrote: The way I understood it, it was Marv that refused the initial offer.

I know that Marv had his people reach out to the 49ers about their opening. York was dead set on Harbaugh so Marvin wasn't even considered. After that there was no peep. Then he re-signed here. Marv wanted a lot of changes and got some, but not what he was hoping for.

I have no idea if he tried to contact other teams about openings. I know his name was linked to U Pitt's job, but I believe he shot that down and didn't want to return to college.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2017, 04:08 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I know that Marv had his people reach out to the 49ers about their opening. York was dead set on Harbaugh so Marvin wasn't even considered. After that there was no peep. Then he re-signed here. Marv wanted a lot of changes and got some, but not what he was hoping for.

I have no idea if he tried to contact other teams about openings. I know his name was linked to U Pitt's job, but I believe he shot that down and didn't want to return to college.

Yes, thanks for the refresher Dude....I recall the "silly season talk" now that you have laid them out.

Reply/Quote
(05-05-2017, 05:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This.

Remember when the chronic whiners around here  were crying about how we would never ever ever part ways with Peko or Maualuga?

If we don't make the playoffs in '17 Marvin is out as HC.

If we make the playoffs and get blown out again Marvin is out as HC.

If we make the playoffs and lose at home to a team we should beat Marvin is out as HC.

I get your main point that Change can seem like an "Impossibility" to ever happen in some folks minds until it actually does. (Peko/Maualuga for example)

I am of the opinion that Marvin is in a seat that is HEATING UP for real this time.

I could be wrong but I chose "Too many Blankets warm" meaning he needs a Playoff appearance this year or that "Impossible" change may just happen.

Like some of us Mock Drafters would be if our Mocks actually happened, Mike Brown is likely quite pleased with his latest John Ross & Joe Mixon led "for Real" Draft. (More than just a Mock)

Mike Brown may start thinking that Marvin is holding him back from being recognized as a Good Drafter of players.

After all, Mike signs off on the Final Draft Plan and may start thinking that he has given Marvin plenty of talent now to work with. Advancing age could have him itching for some respect as a Football guy before time runs out and he may see this team as being talent rich now.

Maybe the idea of being a New Head Coach away from winning Big is creeping into Mike's mind. (Gotta be at least a little)

Call it just a Vibe but something tells me Marvin better Perform.
Reply/Quote