Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Marvin's interview about the off-season
On watching other teams advance in the playoffs:

“It’s painful when there are teams playing that replaced us. It hurts. It ought to hurt,” Lewis said. “It ought to hurt every coach and player in this building.”

On the Bengals going 1-5 against playoff teams this year, whether those rosters have passed the Bengals and 'talking' during the off-season:

“No, I don’t’ believe that, They passed us on those days."

"But you can only prove it by playing. Talking about it is wasting time."

“It doesn’t matter how close we are, Next year is different than this year. The only way we can take care of it is take care of it on the field. We can’t talk about it. Too many people around here talk too much. Everybody talks.”

On the evaluations since the season ended:

“It’s important to do while fresh in our minds to go back and look at us. We’ll follow that up after Mobile when we have the opportunity to look at our peers around the league and what they do well. Then we’ll be getting into the areas of tweaking installation and how we do it.”

On the draft, comp picks and how it could affect the roster:

“We’ll see. Last year we were supposed to get one and we didn’t get any. We’ll see.”

“We’ll be vastly different no matter what.

“We’ll have some of the same players, but we know every year there is going to be a change of players.”

“We rip things up scheme wise all the time. That’s no change.”

On issues with the running game and pass protection:

“We have to run it more effectively more often. I think execution is the most important thing.”

“Right now the two guys that would be the starting tackles haven’t played a lot of football. (But) we’ve got a long time before the season starts … We need to do a better job in what we do and how we do it.”

On whether pass rush is a priority:

“The team that led the league in sacks (Arizona) didn’t make the playoffs, We had fewer wins. We had fewer opportunities. That’s the way it goes. When you’re winning games you have more opportunities for sacks. When you’re behind you don’t get the same opportunity.”

On players stepping up and being leaders:

“Our best players, A.J. Green, Geno Atkins, let’s start with them. Where they are in their NFL careers, they’ve got to help pull forward others. They’ve got to become not only leaders and players by example, but leaders 24/7 throughout the building.

"If that means being more vocal, being more dominant in bringing guys along in practice, whatever it is, being more demanding of how guys prepare and practice so that the standard never wavers. Because they’re the best players in the building. They’re recognized across the league as very good players, so they’ve got to help uplift this building.”

On looking for other leaders to step up:

“There’s going to be a changing of the guard. That’s a natural progression that has to begin to occur. You have the Fishers and these young guys who are now going into their third seasons that have to continue to pull forward. All of our guys. Whether it be Burfict or Andy, all these guys that have been recognized _ (Tyler) Eifert _ as good players across the league, they’ve got to pull forward now and step up.”

On topics like scheme, personnel and the roster:

“Talking about it is a waste of time,”

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/No-talk-shows-for-Lewis/0c35b7a2-d763-4c2d-82d5-2f4c7018ffe7
Reply/Quote
Typical, more of the same old Marvin speak.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
If they're gonna re sign Peko, I hope it's on the cheap. I'm not a Peko hater, I just think re signing other players like Dre K and Zeitler is more pertinent.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2017, 09:39 AM)Devils Advocate Wrote: If they're gonna re sign Peko, I hope it's on the cheap. I'm not a Peko hater, I just think re signing other players like Dre K and Zeitler is more pertinent.

I figured Peko would be re-signed as soon as Billings went on IR last season.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
what utter nonsense.

How in the world can season ticket holders continue to support this garbage.

Re-signing Peko and letting Z walk is par for the course.

Next they will extend Bodine for his leadership.

AJ and Geno need to get out as soon as possible.

If I was Dre, Z , or Eifert I would not sign a new contract with an organization that clearly is not committed to excellence.

Dalton should go to the Texans. I think the Texans with Dalton would be a serious Super Bowl threat. He will never come close to sniffing the Super Bowl in Cincinnati.

It is going to be really ugly next year.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2017, 04:58 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I figured Peko would be re-signed as soon as Billings went on IR last season.

One of the surprising things I believe they do is NOT re-sign peko. I believe they fully recognize that this D is slow and old, and re-signing a 30+ year old player that's already in-effective (at best) would put you right back in that same boat. 

But his way to high snap count does make me think twice about that. Rey M on the other hand........
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2017, 06:27 PM)bengals67 Wrote: what utter nonsense.

How in the world can season ticket holders continue to support this garbage.

Re-signing Peko and letting Z walk is par for the course.

Next they will extend Bodine for his leadership.

AJ and Geno need to get out as soon as possible.

If I was Dre, Z , or Eifert I would not sign a new contract with an organization that clearly is not committed to excellence.

Dalton should go to the Texans. I think the Texans with Dalton would be a serious Super Bowl threat. He will never come close to sniffing the Super Bowl in Cincinnati.

It is going to be really ugly next year.

Look at it from the players point of view: if you get a contract here, it's about as close to fully guaranteed as you'll get in the NFL. There blind loyalty is their best weapon and biggest downfall. And I think you're right with AD to texans. I am starting to really like Bill O'Brien coached teams. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2017, 09:23 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Look at it from the players point of view: if you get a contract here, it's about as close to fully guaranteed as you'll get in the NFL. There blind loyalty is their best weapon and biggest downfall. And I think you're right with AD to texans. I am starting to really like Bill O'Brien coached teams. 

I don't. I think he's one of the most conservative coaches.

He inherited one of the best defenses in the weakest division in the NFL. They've had some of the worst offenses in awhile, and that's what they always lacked. They've had a defense.

Last year, they averaged 17.4 points a game. Tied for 28th with Chicago. Only teams worse were the Jets, Browns, and Rams.

They've been in the lower half in points and yards for his 3 years being there.

"But he doesn't have a QB". They signed Osweiler.
"Well they didn't have many options". In 2014 they drafted Clowney and had a chance to draft Derek Carr in the 2nd round. That year they also passed on Garoppolo and McCarron.
2015 is a little more difficult. That draft they had no chance at QB.
In 2016, they passed on Lynch, Hackenberg (who KNOWS Bill's offense), Brissett, Cook, and Dak.

They've had chances to do better on offense, and Bill isn't good on offense. Even in Penn State, he wasn't. Hackenberg took HUGE steps back under him.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2017, 09:23 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Look at it from the players point of view: if you get a contract here, it's about as close to fully guaranteed as you'll get in the NFL. There blind loyalty is their best weapon and biggest downfall. And I think you're right with AD to texans. I am starting to really like Bill O'Brien coached teams. 

Why? Outside of the AFC South he would be a bust.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2017, 06:01 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/No-talk-shows-for-Lewis/0c35b7a2-d763-4c2d-82d5-2f4c7018ffe7

Here's my take on the gibberish.

On watching other teams advance in the playoffs:

“It’s painful when there are teams playing that replaced us. It hurts. It ought to hurt,” Lewis said. “It ought to hurt every coach and player in this building.” NOT AS MUCH PAIN AS I THINK YOU MORONS SHOULD BE FEELING, STARTING WITH MIKEY BROWN. MARV, DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW PAINFUL IT WAS WATCHING THIS TEAM?

On the Bengals going 1-5 against playoff teams this year, whether those rosters have passed the Bengals and 'talking' during the off-season:

“No, I don’t’ believe that, They passed us on those days." YEAH, AH, AND SO DID THOSE LOSING TEAMS WHO BEAT UP ON THE BENGALS. A LOT OF "THOSE DAYS" THIS YEAR.

"But you can only prove it by playing. Talking about it is wasting time."

“It doesn’t matter how close we are, Next year is different than this year. The only way we can take care of it is take care of it on the field. We can’t talk about it. Too many people around here talk too much. Everybody talks.”

On the evaluations since the season ended:

“It’s important to do while fresh in our minds to go back and look at us. We’ll follow that up after Mobile when we have the opportunity to look at our peers around the league and what they do well. Then we’ll be getting into the areas of tweaking installation and how we do it.”

On the draft, comp picks and how it could affect the roster:

“We’ll see. Last year we were supposed to get one and we didn’t get any. We’ll see.”

“We’ll be vastly different no matter what.

“We’ll have some of the same players, but we know every year there is going to be a change of players.” YES, BUT WILL WE CHANGE THE RIGHT PLAYERS?

“We rip things up scheme wise all the time. That’s no change.” FUNNY HOW THE OFFENSE LOOKED THE SAME WEEK END AND WEEK OUT.

On issues with the running game and pass protection:

“We have to run it more effectively more often. I think execution is the most important thing.” DAH - YOU MEAN LIKE ACTUALLY BLOCKING A GUY, YES THAT WOULD BE EXECUTING. MARV-ELOUS INSIGHT.

“Right now the two guys that would be the starting tackles haven’t played a lot of football. (But) we’ve got a long time before the season starts … We need to do a better job in what we do and how we do it.” WOULD BE? ONE SHOWED IMPROVEMENT, ONE SHOWED AN INABILITY TO IMPROVE. I'D SAY ONE OF THEM IS A WOULD BE CUT.

On whether pass rush is a priority:

The team that led the league in sacks (Arizona) didn’t make the playoffs, We had fewer wins. We had fewer opportunities. That’s the way it goes. When you’re winning games you have more opportunities for sacks. When you’re behind you don’t get the same opportunity.”  SO THAT MAKES IT OK TO SUCK AT THE PASS RUSH?

On players stepping up and being leaders:

“Our best players, A.J. Green, Geno Atkins, let’s start with them. Where they are in their NFL careers, they’ve got to help pull forward others. They’ve got to become not only leaders and players by example, but leaders 24/7 throughout the building. GOD KNOWS NO ONE ELSE IS.

"If that means being more vocal, being more dominant in bringing guys along in practice, whatever it is, being more demanding of how guys prepare and practice so that the standard never wavers. Because they’re the best players in the building. They’re recognized across the league as very good players, so they’ve got to help uplift this building.”

On looking for other leaders to step up:

“There’s going to be a changing of the guard. That’s a natural progression that has to begin to occur. You have the Fishers and these young guys who are now going into their third seasons that have to continue to pull forward. All of our guys. Whether it be Burfict or Andy, all these guys that have been recognized _ (Tyler) Eifert _ as good players across the league, they’ve got to pull forward now and step up.”

On topics like scheme, personnel and the roster:

“Talking about it is a waste of time,” READ AS, "I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE F--- IS GOING TO HAPPEN."

Reply/Quote