Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin's on the 'warm seat'?
(11-29-2018, 01:51 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: According to ESPN, Marvin is now firmly on the 'warm seat' according to their formula, meaning there's at least a chance he could be fired, if the season continues to be a disappointment:

Cincinnati Bengals (5-6)

Coach: Marvin Lewis (130-118-3 over 16 seasons)

It seemed almost inevitable that Lewis would leave at the end of the 2017 season, but he ended up reaching a two-year contract extension. While the Bengals certainly don't work the way other teams do, it's clear that fans are fed up, which shows in the declining attendance numbers at Paul Brown Stadium. Lewis has a built-in excuse with an extraordinary amount of injuries and a defense so bad that it resulted in the firing of defensive coordinator Teryl Austin, but the way this season has gone has been disappointing after the team's hot start. Lewis' future is not set in stone either way.

Unfortunately, their methodology doesn't take into account the Bengals owner, Mike Brown.  Whatever

Marvin could have, and should have, easily been canned after the 2013 and 2015 playoff nightmares, but Mike refused. They could have parted ways with Marvin after 2010 and 2017 without owing him a dime because he wasn't under contract. Again, Mike refused. I don't see any way in hell that Marvin isn't the head coach next year...unless it's Marvin's decision. Mike simply won't make that move. He's far too comfortable with Marvin. Heck, he's basically part of the family at this point.

Even worse, if Marvin should decide to leave, he'll lobby for Hue to get the job - assuming there's not already a succession plan in place - and Mike will surely go along with it because it's an easy / lazy hire that eliminates having to conduct an interview process. 

The fact that Mike hasn't been able to bring himself to get rid of Marvin after all the playoff meltdowns and disappointing seasons should tell every fan exactly how void he is of drive, passion and willingness to do whatever it takes to win. That's a huge problem, but one we're all well aware of. The bigger worry for me is that his successors, Katie and Troy...have always seemed to be very on board with keeping Marvin around as well. Katie has voiced her support retaining Marvin a few times over the years. If the reports from back in the day are true, it was Katie and Troy that really wanted, and fought for Marvin to be hired...so that may explain their misguided loyalty. Jerry

I just worry that even when Mike and Marvin are out of the picture, we're still going to be left with the same style and mindset when it comes to management. I used to be hopeful that Katie and Troy might be different, but I'm not so sure anymore.
I don't think he's going anywhere - and there has been a lot to like with Marvin despite the glaring trends he has been unable to shake.  

My big fear (like yours) is that Hue will inherit the job.   But not this year.   But in my opinion he will be worse than Marvin.

I also share your concern that the next generation of owner will not be much better.

Hope I'm wrong.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
To the OP:

I want to disagree and say this is the year they cut Marvin loose but you are absolutely right. Last season Mike Brown actually sounded like he was panicking when reporters started saying Marvin wouldn't be back.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2018, 02:58 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yeah, that's why I posted it. I think it's pretty amusing that anyone thinks Marvin in on any kind of seat...except a nice, cushy, secure one. Mike has proven for 3 decades that results don't matter and accountability is just a crazy notion concocted by his critics.

Since starting 8-0 in 2015, they have went 22-29-1 since. Mike will look at that record and be plenty satisfied. 

Sorry btw if that came off aggressively. Wasn’t directed at you. I’m just so sick of Marvin at this point anything about him getting canned triggers me.
Reply/Quote
Marvin Lewis should be sitting on a flame thrower about now.

Reply/Quote
They just needed another name for their "list".

That is all.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
At best, I think Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis will come to an agreement that next year is his last year. I don't expect him to be fired, but I also don't expect him to get a contract extension. Not if these attendance numbers keep dipping the way they have been. 2019 is Marvin's last season in Cincinnati.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2018, 05:37 PM)Synric Wrote: To the OP:

I want to disagree and say this is the year they cut Marvin loose but you are absolutely right. Last season Mike Brown actually sounded like he was panicking when reporters started saying Marvin wouldn't be back.

Yes! That was my take too. MB freaked out about reports Marvin was leaving.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2018, 05:25 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I was thinking more along these lines.....

Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

That is the one that pertains more to this situation for damn sure.
Reply/Quote
[Image: 47681976_2429623320412959_33070261625212...e=5CA631C8]

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2018, 02:37 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Wish they would sell the team. Has to change from the top down. Mike, Katie, Troy, Marvin, Hugh all need out of Cincinnati and transported to Guantanamo Bay and waterboarded until we get the confessions and reasons as to why they have been terrorizing the Bengal fans for so long. Then when released I want them relocated to Pittsburgh because let's face it, that's where their hearts lay anyways. I want them banned from the city of Cincinnati and the state of Ohio.

The team is far too profitable for the Brown family to consider selling it. The only way they sell is if the league forces them to. As long as Mike doesn’t channel his inner Marge the Brown family will own the team.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
Marvin’s seat is so cold the tube froze during his latest colonoscopy.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 09:43 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Marvin’s seat is so cold the tube froze during his latest colonoscopy.

It wasn’t a tube, it was a stalagmite.

Reply/Quote