Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin's record against winning team, plus a bitter pill
Since Marvin took over as head coach only 4 teams in the league have more wins against teams that finished with a winning record (NE, DEN, PITT, IND). But since only two teams have played more games against teams with winning records his winning percentage is just 12th best. I'd say that is still a lot higher than many people would think. But here is the bad part.

Bengals have 38 wins against winning teams other than Steelers.
Steelers have 38 wins against winning teams other than Bengals.

Bengals have 4 wins against Steelers when they finished with a winning record.
Steelers have 19 wins against Bengals when they finished with a winning record.
Reply/Quote
I think that most of us have always known that Marvin is a pretty good coach, and that he always seems to falter in our rivalry games. Kind of goes the same for the Playoff and Monday Night games, as well.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Another fun totally irrelevant fact: Mike Tomlin has NEVER had a losing season thanks in part to two virtually guaranteed over the Bengals every year!
Reply/Quote
Can remember all 19 of those dang steelers victories.

Some more gut wrenching than others.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2018, 08:41 PM)Bengalsrob Wrote: Another fun totally irrelevant fact: Mike Tomlin has NEVER had a losing season thanks in part to two virtually guaranteed over the Bengals every year!

Fon't forget the Browns.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(12-18-2018, 08:12 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I think that most of us have always known that Marvin is a pretty good coach, and that he always seems to falter in our rivalry games.  Kind of goes the same for the Playoff and Monday Night games, as well.

If he always falters in rivalry games, playoff games and Monday night games how is he a good coach?
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(12-18-2018, 08:41 PM)Bengalsrob Wrote: Another fun totally irrelevant fact: Mike Tomlin has NEVER had a losing season thanks in part to two virtually guaranteed over the Bengals every year!

This time of year every Steeler fan pretends to be Bengals fans and bombards Mike Browns office with mail begging for him to give Marvin "one more last chance".
Reply/Quote
If he can’t have his team ready to compete with the best team in the division year after year then he needs to politely GTFO. I’m sick of losing to the team I hate the most.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2018, 09:33 PM)thompson19osu Wrote: If he can’t have his team ready to compete with the best team in the division year after year then he needs to politely GTFO. I’m sick of losing to the team I hate the most.

Could not have put it better myself! Marvin needed to go after 2015 for sure. 
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
Losing to Pittsburgh is a thorn. A bad thorn at that. He does stink when it counts. So let’s continue this just a little. He has great success when he coaches 1pm games with a higher percentage of victories at home. He is horrible away on the west coast, horrible at 4pm and when it gets past his 7pm bedtime and a game needs coaching? Forget it.

Let’s take it a step further. He’s horrible in the playoffs (history speaks for itself, no stats needed), and he stinks at developing young careers. He starts veterans as old as Moses who needs walkers to get to the field over youth. He’s a delusional coach who sticks with what worked with the Ravens. The Ravens have evolved, Marvin hasn’t. Plus I think he’s soon to be Marlene Jenner.

Ok, the Marlene stab was kinda juvenile. But, he does stink pretty bad. Stats like these are not persuasive.

Reply/Quote
(12-18-2018, 10:00 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Losing to Pittsburgh is a thorn. A bad thorn at that. He does stink when it counts. So let’s continue this just a little. He has great success when he coaches 1pm games with a higher percentage of victories at home. He is horrible away on the west coast, horrible at 4pm and when it gets past his 7pm bedtime and a game needs coaching? Forget it.

Let’s take it a step further. He’s horrible in the playoffs (history speaks for itself, no stats needed), and he stinks at developing young careers. He starts veterans as old as Moses who needs walkers to get to the field over youth. He’s a delusional coach who sticks with what worked with the Ravens. The Ravens have evolved, Marvin hasn’t. Plus I think he’s soon to be Marlene Jenner.

Ok, the Marlene stab was kinda juvenile. But, he does stink pretty bad. Stats like these are not persuasive.

The Marvin Lewis led Bengals have folded like a lawn chair every time it matters with such regularity there is no defending it. There's a tiny handful of times they haven't and a semi load of flops.
Reply/Quote
Marv is below average at best and totally overrated as a defensive guru. Those mid 90's Steelers LBs could have coached themselves they were so good, same for the Ravens D. Marv is like a really, really poor man's Phil Jackson, but with 1/13th the success. And most of Marv's success here has come when he's had good coordinators to lean on.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2018, 07:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Since Marvin took over as head coach only 4 teams in the league have more wins against teams that finished with a winning record (NE, DEN, PITT, IND).  But since only two teams have played more games against teams with winning records his winning percentage is just 12th best.  I'd say that is still a lot higher than many people would think.  But here is the bad part.

Bengals have 38 wins against winning teams other than Steelers.
Steelers have 38 wins against winning teams other than Bengals.

Bengals have 4 wins against Steelers when they finished with a winning record.
Steelers have 19 wins against Bengals when they finished with a winning record.

Wow! A full 1/3 of the Steelers wins against winning teams comes against the Bengals. Marv is their Biatch.

I'm routing for Driskel to have a game of a lifetime week 17.

Reply/Quote
(12-18-2018, 10:26 PM)Older Than You Too Wrote: Marv is below average at best and totally overrated as a defensive guru. Those mid 90's Steelers LBs could have coached themselves they were so good, same for the Ravens D. Marv is like a really, really poor man's Phil Jackson, but with 1/13th the success. And most of Marv's success here has come when he's had good coordinators to lean on.

Agree with all this. Marvin is a joke of a coach. Every big game , prime time n playoffs his teams fall flat.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2018, 08:55 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Can remember all 19 of those dang steelers victories.

Some more gut wrenching than others.

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(12-18-2018, 10:53 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Wow! A full 1/3 of the Steelers wins against winning teams comes against the Bengals. Marv is their Biatch.

I'm routing for Driskel to have a game of a lifetime week 17.

....and for Joe Mixon to run rough shod all over their punk asses like they have us so many times. I want personal fouls on olinemen. Geno Atkins to put Pig Pens head on a spear. Erickson to run a kick back for a TD. A blocked kick. Driskel for 500 yds and 50 more on the ground. John Ross to finally go off.

Hey.....a man can dream. But wouldn't that be nice?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-18-2018, 11:39 PM)Wyche Wrote: ....and for Joe Mixon to run rough shod all over their punk asses like they have us so many times. I want personal fouls on olinemen. Geno Atkins to put Pig Pens head on a spear. Erickson to run a kick back for a TD. A blocked kick. Driskel for 500 yds and 50 more on the ground. John Ross to finally go off.

Like 45-6 
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2018, 11:39 PM)Wyche Wrote: ....and for Joe Mixon to run rough shod all over their punk asses like they have us so many times. I want personal fouls on olinemen. Geno Atkins to put Pig Pens head on a spear. Erickson to run a kick back for a TD. A blocked kick. Driskel for 500 yds and 50 more on the ground. John Ross to finally go off.

I like that dream!

Reply/Quote
Outside of the Steelers, Marvin is 35-60-2 against teams with winning records.

WITH the Steelers included, Marvin is 37-79-2 against teams with winning records.

And this is EXCLUDING playoff losses. Or else Marvin would be 35-65-2 (w/o Steelers), or 37-86-2 if you include the Steelers.

That means Marvin is 2-19 against the Steelers when they have a winning record. Or 2-21 if you include playoffs.
An abysmal .095
Or .087 if you include playoffs

Marvin's percentage is .371 against teams with winning records throughout 16 years.
Or .322 if you include the Steelers.

Include playoffs?
.353 without Steelers.
.304 with the Steelers.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2018, 10:26 PM)Older Than You Too Wrote: Marv is below average at best and totally overrated as a defensive guru. Those mid 90's Steelers LBs could have coached themselves they were so good, same for the Ravens D. Marv is like a really, really poor man's Phil Jackson, but with 1/13th the success. And most of Marv's success here has come when he's had good coordinators to lean on.

I still think he knows defense. You can see the improvement since he’s taken over for Austin. They were historically bad. Now they at least look competitive.

Reply/Quote