Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best and worst potential NFL head coach openings in 2018
(12-14-2017, 12:57 PM)Big Boss Wrote: I think the job security aspect is very desirable, and it can't be discounted.  And for what it's worth, Marvin had this team on the cusp of a playoff victory several times during his tenure.  So while the lack of free agency spending and a tiny scouting department are not attractive prospects, we have quantifiable proof that a head coach can succeed despite those things.

Marvin was turning in a lot of winning seasons, and playoffs appearances. It's not like they were floundering, and Marvin was coasting by.

The two coaches before him had like 4-year and 2-year runs, so I think this job security thing is exaggerated. 
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2017, 02:07 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Another thing to think about, imagine being THE coach that gets the Bengals or the Browns into the Super Bowl. You're most likely going to end up with a legendary status.

Well, seeing how Wyche took the Bengals to the big dance, twice, I think the onus is now on actually winning the SB.  But, you do have a good point about the coach that wins with the Bengals or Browns, coach XXXXXX XXXXXX, you just won the Super Bowl with The Cincinnati Bengals, what are you going to do next?  Reply:  I'm going to Canton, that's what I'm doing..
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2017, 10:30 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, seeing how Wyche took the Bengals to the big dance, twice, I think the onus is now on actually winning the SB.  But, you do have a good point about the coach that wins with the Bengals or Browns, coach XXXXXX XXXXXX, you just won the Super Bowl with The Cincinnati Bengals, what are you going to do next?  Reply:  I'm going to Canton, that's what I'm doing..

Wasn’t Forrest Gregg the head coach for the first Super Bowl?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2017, 10:30 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, seeing how Wyche took the Bengals to the big dance, twice, I think the onus is now on actually winning the SB.  But, you do have a good point about the coach that wins with the Bengals or Browns, coach XXXXXX XXXXXX, you just won the Super Bowl with The Cincinnati Bengals, what are you going to do next?  Reply:  I'm going to Canton, that's what I'm doing..

I just don't think it's a coincidence that we haven't won a playoff game since modern free agency began.

In a sense, we're the Expos where we are the farm system for the rest of the NFL as much as you can be in a league with revenue sharing to keep resources similar.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2017, 11:23 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: 8. Cincinnati Bengals

Being entrusted with the Bengals job is like becoming the night watchman at a low-budget museum. As long as you don't screw up horrifically, you'll be able to keep the job for about as long as you want. Heck, even if you do an awful job, you're probably going to get some time. Marvin Lewis has had the job for 14 years without a playoff victory, of course, but think about the guys before him. Bruce Coslet made it into a fifth year with a 21-39 record. He replaced David Shula, who made it nearly five years himself with a 19-52 mark. Cincinnati moves at a glacial pace.

The flip side, of course, is that it's difficult to really do a great job as the Bengals' steward. You won't be investing much in free agency, where disappointing recent low-cost signings like A.J. Hawk and Kevin Minter won't be encouraging owner Mike Brown to open up his checkbook. Questionable decisions, perhaps driven by a modest budget, have seen the Bengals shed talented players at wide receiver (Marvin Jones and Mohamed Sanu) and along the offensive line (Andrew Whitworth and Kevin Zeitler) in consecutive offseasons.

It's fair to note that six awful quarters have the Bengals here -- if Cincinnati had held onto its lead against the Steelers and shown up on Sunday against the Bears, it would be 7-6 and in the thick of the AFC wild-card race on a four-game winning streak. Lewis might be negotiating an extension.

At 5-8, though, it feels like we've exhausted the possibilities with this Bengals team. There are plenty of big names on defense, but Cincinnati is 19th in defensive DVOA, thanks in part to playing the league's easiest slate of offenses. The Andy Dalton breakout from 2015 looks more and more like an outlier, even if his level of play has risen slightly from his 2011-2014 beginnings. Do you want to take this job knowing that you may not have any other quarterback options besides Dalton and AJ McCarron?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21759278/ranking-best-nfl-potential-head-coach-openings-2018

I agree with most of what you say....I disagree with ESPN Ranking as I would put Cincinnati as WORST Head Coach job in NFL....You can throw out much of ESPN paragraphs on these teams. Look, Head Coach of New York Giants, Washington Redskins, Denver Broncos, Chicago Bears are NFL Franchises coaches would love. ....Throw out all ESPN is talking and just break it on down to OWNER and CITY...Few want to coach in small Cincinnati and nobody wants to coach under Mike Brown. Mike Brown and Family are Dictators giving head coaches no control or power. No GM and No Scouts is also poor ownership.   I can't even believe ESPN has Mike Brown rated above New York Giants and such. ESPN knows better than this. They know Mike Brown is the cheapest owner in NFL. They know what a lousy job Head Coach of Bengals is under Mike Brown.  THE WORST.    Mike Brown stands his ground on 2 things. He will not hire a GM and he can not see why he should pay offensive linemen.  Mike Brown is the worst owner and Cincinnati is no New York.  Top coaches would never work for Mike Brown.  ESPN should have put Mike Brown as worst NFL head coaching job, and you throw out all the ESPN nonsense about players because a good coach will bring in his players over the long haul.  Tony Dungy for example completely changed players at Tampa and Indy...Go back farther to Vince Lombardi taking over a very bad Packers team and quickly making changes. Good coaches don't mind a challenge, but they do mind an owner like Mike Brown who would stand in their way of progress.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
With as bad as this team is and has been over the years I have only one person to blame. That person would be me for still being a fan. 
You can all also blame yourselves as well. 
I don't even live in the area and I'm still here.. WTF is wrong with me?  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Depressing (but dead-on) read there. For the folks thinking Jon Gruden or a top notch assistant like Josh McDaniels gonna be walking through that door next month, it's not gonna happen. Fully expecting Fat Paulie to get the job and the majority of this craptastic staff to stay in place.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2017, 12:59 AM)grampahol Wrote: With as bad as this team is and has been over the years I have only one person to blame. That person would be me for still being a fan. 
You can all also blame yourselves as well. 
I don't even live in the area and I'm still here.. WTF is wrong with me?  

Me too! I live in Calgary Canada, and have been a die hard Bengals fan since 2002. I have taken a lot of heat when I tell people I am a Bengals fan! It just really sucks how downhill things went since that Steelers loss in 2015. But I will stick with them no matter what. I am not going to be a bandwagon jumper.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2017, 02:07 PM)CalgaryBengalsFan Wrote: Me too! I live in Calgary Canada, and have been a die hard Bengals fan since 2002. I have taken a lot of heat when I tell people I am a Bengals fan! It just really sucks how downhill things went since that Steelers loss in 2015. But I will stick with them no matter what. I am not going to be a bandwagon jumper.

I live an hour for Pittsburgh. Imagine how hard it is for me to tell people I'm a Bengals fan.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2017, 03:54 AM)Lionel Hutz Wrote: Depressing (but dead-on) read there.  For the folks thinking Jon Gruden or a top notch assistant like Josh McDaniels gonna be walking through that door next month, it's not gonna happen. Fully expecting Fat Paulie to get the job and the majority of this craptastic staff to stay in place.

Yeah...I think you'll see Guenther.

IF we do hire outside, it will be Vance Joseph or a guy like Chuck Pagano.

I don't think a guy like McDaniels would work out here. He would have none of the infrastructure that the Patriots have in place here.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2017, 02:12 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I live an hour for Pittsburgh. Imagine how hard it is for me to tell people I'm a Bengals fan.

I spent 15 years of my life living in Butler, Rochester, Green Tree, and Uniontown (not in that order) DURING THE 90s thru the start of Merv's Bengals career. I know your pain.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
More of this stupid notion that a good coach would not come here. Hearing this is not getting old at all. 32. In the universe. With a multi-million dollar salary.

We're decades away from being a winner. We'll never have a good coach. We're gonna suck for all eternity. Good God, the whining around here is getting comical.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(12-15-2017, 02:07 PM)CalgaryBengalsFan Wrote: Me too! I live in Calgary Canada, and have been a die hard Bengals fan since 2002. I have taken a lot of heat when I tell people I am a Bengals fan! It just really sucks how downhill things went since that Steelers loss in 2015. But I will stick with them no matter what. I am not going to be a bandwagon jumper.

Rep for the loyalty.

Also for being a fellow hockey fan (I’m a Devils fan myself). Your Flames look pretty good this year. Especially Johnny Gaudreau.

Reply/Quote
I disagree with this completely, here is how I would rathe those 10 openings...

1. New York Football Giants -high profile and a chance to draft your new #1 QB this year
2. Denver Broncos - Elway as GM will get you the players you need, they are a QB away
3. Tampa Bay - solid nucleus, needs a solid coach
4. Houston - easiest division to win in football
5. Arizona- maybe a bit high here, tough division, def needs a new QB
6. Chicago - is Mitch Trubisky the guy?
7. Indianapolis - I think Luck may be done, if so they are in trouble
8. Cincinnati - we all know about this
9. Washington - toughest division in football, who's the QB when Captain Kirk Cousins leaves?
10. Cleveland - dumpster fire
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2017, 11:57 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Rep for the loyalty.

Also for being a fellow hockey fan (I’m a Devils fan myself). Your Flames look pretty good this year. Especially Johnny Gaudreau.

Thanks man! The Flames are very inconsistent right now. They actually remind me a lot of the Bengals lol. The coaching is poor we went 16 years without a playoff round win! Seems like I am cursed!

Devils are a huge surprise this year. Taylor Hall is awesome. Edmonton got rid of the wrong player. Calgary boy also :)
Reply/Quote