Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin
We need to keep on topic and avoid talking specifically about other members.

[Image: if-you-could-do-that-that-would-be-great...249891.png]
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2018, 05:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I guess this is the big difference between me and almost everyone else here.  To me the ultimate goal is to win the Super Bowl.  I would also say that making the Super Bowl would also be a great.  But short of that I don't see a huge difference between making the playoffs and losing in game one and making the playoffs and losing in round two.  

I don't understand how people can think that winning just one playoff game in one year is an amazing accomplishment that defines success, but making the playoffs multiple years is so shitty they would rather lose and not even make the playoffs. that just does not make any sense to me.

To me a team is successful if they make the playoffs, but unless you make the Super Bowl there is no huge dividing line between losing in the first round and losing in the second round.

So by your definition the bengals are a failure and would qualify as among the worst teams in the nfl.  Furthermore, they haven't come close to your ultimate since 1988.  Under ebenezer's watch they are even more of a failure.  

If Marvin is such a great coach and the bengals do as much as other teams do wouldn't they have been able to closer than they have to your ultimate goal in the past 30 years?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I am not wasting my time responding to someone who would quote this.....

(03-08-2018, 05:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: To me a team is successful if they make the playoffs, but unless you make the Super Bowl there is no huge dividing line between losing in the first round and losing in the second round.

And then say this

(03-10-2018, 01:04 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: So by your definition the bengals are a failure and would qualify as among the worst teams in the nfl.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2018, 02:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am not wasting my time responding to someone who would quote this.....

And then say this

But you did waste your precious time. 
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2018, 02:14 PM)McC Wrote: But you did waste your precious time. 

Not a waste of time.  Just explaining why I would not respond. 
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2018, 02:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not a waste of time.  Just explaining why I would not respond. 

But you saying that is a response.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2018, 02:40 PM)McC Wrote: But you saying that is a response

If you want to look at it that way then fine, but everyone else understands what I was saying.  I was just indicating that I was refusing to discuss his comments. 

Sorry that meaning went over your head.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2018, 02:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If you want to look at it that way then fine, but everyone else understands what I was saying.  I was just indicating that I was refusing to discuss his comments. 

Sorry that meaning went over your head.

And this was something that had to be done?  Silence would not have worked just as well?  Hubris on display.

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2018, 02:57 PM)McC Wrote: And this was something that had to be done?  Silence would not have worked just as well?  Hubris on display.

No, silence would not have worked just as well.  I did not want to have to deal with the same thing in the future so I had to call BenZoo out on his ridiculous straw man.  Some people might have interpreted my silence as acquiescence.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2018, 03:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No, silence would not have worked just as well.  I did not want to have to deal with the same thing in the future so I had to call BenZoo out on his ridiculous straw man.  Some people might have interpreted my silence as acquiescence.

So what?  Is this some weird kind of contest to you?

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2018, 03:05 PM)McC Wrote: So what?  Is this some weird kind of contest to you?

No.  This is a message board where  people discuss the Bengals.  It involves people making statements and then other people either agreeing or disagreeing.

I love to take part in discussions, but recently it has been difficult because some people won't even say what their position is.  And in other cases people mis-state my opinion.

All I want to do is have an adult discussion with people who don't try to twist what I say and don't try to deny what they have said in the past.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2018, 03:12 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No.  This is a message board where  people discuss the Bengals.  It involves people making statements and then other people either agreeing or disagreeing.

I love to take part in discussions, but recently it has been difficult because some people won't even say what their position is.  And in other cases people mis-state my opinion.

All I want to do is have an adult discussion with people who don't try to twist what I say and don't try to deny what they have said in the past.

Well, might I suggest you stop trying to twist what other people say.

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2018, 03:12 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No.  This is a message board where  people discuss the Bengals.  It involves people making statements and then other people either agreeing or disagreeing.

This. Is. Gold. Especially the last line. I'll gladly admit to a statement I have made several times that you always try to twist into things I've never said.

Here is my statement: I could do no worse than Mike Brown as Bengals GM. He has not won a playoff game in 26 years, I guarantee I can at least equal that success.

I stand by that statement. It is fact. If I were given the position of GM of the Cincinnati Bengals and the team did not win a playoff game in 26 years, I will have equaled Mike Brown's postseason success. As usual, you will quote that and say that I am not as smart as I think I am and that I have no business as an NFL GM. You'll throw claims about how just making the playoffs is successful and that I probably wouldn't be able to have a playoff team. I know all of this because we've had this discussion in the past.

You'll then talk about me running ANY NFL team when I specifically said Bengals. You will insinuate that you are smarter than me and how you understand football better than me. If I continue to engage you, at some point, you'll make sure to insinuate that you're a better fan than me. Then you will continue to twist what I have said into a statement that I never made and then allude to the fact you're a better man than me because you'll own up to what you said.

Your troll game has stepped up. You have generally stopped with personal attacks, but constantly insinuate that you're more intelligent, know more about football, a better fan, and a better man than the overwhelming majority of this message board. If that's what gets your rocks off, good for you. You don't know me. However, if it makes you feel better about yourself and helps you to sleep better at night that you feel intellectually superior to everyone, that you're the best fan, and you are the best man on this message board, good for you I guess?
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2018, 02:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am not wasting my time responding to someone who would quote this.....

And then say this

How is that not true? The Bengals have only had 14 playoff appearances and that means there are only 7 teams that have less appearances than them. That's even adding in teams like the Ravens and the Texans who haven't been around very long at all either (who both have less playoff appearances).
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2018, 12:41 PM)sandwedge Wrote: So next you will tell us that fans of the Raiders, Bills and Browns have never bitched and moaned..... It's just us lowlife fans here? Btw, it isn't just us, not as intelligent fans as Fred, that talk about the Bengals not winning a playoff game. Every sports journalist or sportscaster seems to include, "haven't won a playoff game in 26 years" blurb when talking about the Bengals... They must be misinformed like everyone but you, Mike & Marvin.

I'm also a fan of the Detroit Red Wings (don't hate me I was a fan of them back before CBJ existed!) and follow them on Twitter.
The majority of Wings fans are ruthless toward the team. Every single time the Wings lose or even give up a goal is just a bashing by a ton of fans.
Even back when they were still on their playoff appearance streak of 25 consecutive seasons, their team was constantly getting bashed because the expectation had been raised to "Championship or Bust" thanks to their four Stanley Cups from 1997-2008. The majority of their fan base did not consider just making the playoffs perennially to be satisfactory.

Steelers' fan base is the same way from what I've observed in the past.

Even the championship teams' fan bases constantly complain if they don't consistently live up to the fans' expectations.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2018, 06:50 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: I like Fred he's a character . But I also think he's one of them fans that defend everything about this organization lol I think it's fine to poke fun at this organization. I rather laugh about it then cry. Atleast it's entertaining where you can just laugh at this stuff. Like Joe goodberry on twitter I feel like I'm a fan like him ,I love the team I love the game but I'm pretty negative,just hoping for them to turn the corner. And do things right and actually win playoff games.

Another thing,Fred has probably seen the Bengals in the Superbowl and win playoff games. I'm sure my mindset would be a little different if I've seen it happen already when I became a real fan watching every game we was bad 2-14 bad with Gus ferrote as qb. Each year we got better ,we finally made the playoffs where that team could of won the Superbowl. But then went down again. And we haven't got past that mark since. Now it's just stale, we've seen them make the playoffs but we already know we have lost every time. It's like that's the best we can do. While watching teams be more successful.its very frustrating.the pats are ho hum another game when they when afc championships.and if they don't they talk about it's time to get rid of bill or brady.

Nah man.....I was alive during both Super Bowl runs, and vividly remember '88.  I'm freaking sick and tired of this shit show.  In fact, it makes it worse when you go to two Super Bowls in a decade, come within 34 seconds of dethroning a dynasty that no other AFC team could even stay on the field with.....then have to watch this abomination for 27 years.  Talk about frustrating.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2018, 03:27 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: Your troll game has stepped up. You have generally stopped with personal attacks, but constantly insinuate that you're more intelligent, know more about football, a better fan, and a better man than the overwhelming majority of this message board. If that's what gets your rocks off, good for you. You don't know me. However, if it makes you feel better about yourself and helps you to sleep better at night that you feel intellectually superior to everyone, that you're the best fan, and you are the best man on this message board, good for you I guess?

You know who else posts here and thinks he is right when he gives his opinion?

EVERYONE!!!

You know who else argues to defend his position?

EVERYONE!!!

You know who gets bent out of shape and complains when someone dares disagree with them?

EVERYONE BUT ME!!!

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 03:57 PM)firstand10 Wrote: After the fiasco of this past season. What does this team do if, after the 2-year probation of ML, this team hasn't progressed to at least a league championship? Just wondering!
As long as Marvin wins the last couple of games before his contract is up, he's guaranteed an extension.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2018, 06:40 PM)PhilHos Wrote: As long as Marvin wins the last couple of games before his contract is up, he's guaranteed an extension.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

DCB.  Marvin has it embroidered on his jockey shorts.

Reply/Quote

And then say this

Way to quote partials.  You had said the ultimate goal was to win championships.  The bengals have none
Reply/Quote