Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Masks?
(08-20-2021, 04:36 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: at the end, one of the hyped up morons says to the cop telling him to back up 'im back man, i'm on your side, im a parent'

break this down:

'im back man (he wasn't), i'm on your side (he was fed that line moments before), im a parent (WHO ***** CARES)'

these people are not going to do well when the chinese social credit system is implemented.

Imagine how proud the kids are of the dude on roid rage in the black t-shirt.  "Look, daddy's on TV!"
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2021, 07:26 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Think back to your childhood folks. Either party, imagine when you were 12 years old. Look at what kind of shit the average 12 year old has seen in just the past year. These kids are forever scarred. WE, as adults and leaders have failed them.

This country is forever ruined IMO.

So true buddy. I’m at a loss for anything to add to this.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2021, 11:20 AM)Vas Deferens Wrote: So true buddy.  I’m at a loss for anything to add to this.

Apparently so is everyone else.  
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2021, 11:20 AM)Vas Deferens Wrote: So true buddy.  I’m at a loss for anything to add to this.

My sister's family and I have been very cognizant of this.  We're lucky in that we have a bunch of friends with kids around the same age as my nephews and who take reasonable precautions and are vaccinated.  We've made a major effort to keep things as normal for them as possible.  At the end of the day I think they're going to get out of this in reasonably good shape.  But the kids who don't have that support system, who have been locked down in cramped apartments and who have essentially missed out on close to two years of regular schooling, I really feel for them.  I hope both of you are wrong, but I don't believe that you are.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2021, 05:26 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: My sister's family and I have been very cognizant of this.  We're lucky in that we have a bunch of friends with kids around the same age as my nephews and who take reasonable precautions and are vaccinated.  We've made a major effort to keep things as normal for them as possible.  At the end of the day I think they're going to get out of this in reasonably good shape.  But the kids who don't have that support system, who have been locked down in cramped apartments and who have essentially missed out on close to two years of regular schooling, I really feel for them.  I hope both of you are wrong, but I don't believe that you are.

It can be done reasonably, just as you are an example of.  
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2021, 07:26 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Think back to your childhood folks.  Either party, imagine when you were 12 years old.  Look at what kind of shit the average 12 year old has seen in just the past year.  These kids are forever scarred.  WE, as adults and leaders have failed them.

This country is forever ruined IMO.

I was 1 year removed from watching the twin towers fall on the news, and only 5 years away from the economy going to shit right as I was about to graduate.

They'll get over it.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2021, 10:14 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I was 1 year removed from watching the twin towers fall on the news, and only 5 years away from the economy going to shit right as I was about to graduate.

They'll get over it.

Wait, you think people have gotten over 9/11 and the great recession?   
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2021, 10:14 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I was 1 year removed from watching the twin towers fall on the news, and only 5 years away from the economy going to shit right as I was about to graduate.

They'll get over it.

Yea there has been a lot of shit that 30-40 year olds have had to deal with up to this point, it's just the new normal. 
Reply/Quote

They'll get over it.

These aren't things you "get over." These are generation-defining moments and they have long-lasting effects. I was discussing this a couple of years ago how so many people my age and younger have no exposure to Islam in a pre-9/11 context and the way that alters their understanding of the religion and the world. That is just one example of the impact things like this have and the way it can alter a person's perceptions and how they interact with the world.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
Wow.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2021, 10:28 AM)Au165 Wrote: Yea there has been a lot of shit that 30-40 year olds have had to deal with up to this point, it's just the new normal. 

I like how no matter how good or bad things are there is always a concerted effort by older generations to put down the younger generations...it's the one thing that everyone can agree upon.

1.  the generations before us were stodgy, boring, and backwards
2.  the generations after us are totally soft and weak and can't handle the real world

Reheat and repeat until the human race goes extinct in the year 2525.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2021, 10:27 AM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Wait, you think people have gotten over 9/11 and the great recession?   

I can't believe that response either man.  
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2021, 12:34 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Wow.

(08-24-2021, 12:45 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I can't believe that response either man.  

I mean, it's pretty standard psychology. Big events like that have lasting impacts on people. Have you never heard of people that lived through the Great Depression having a higher prevalence of hoarding behaviors?
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

They'll get over it.

I'm sorry.  But I find this to be a moronic reply to the topic at hand.  This country might not even survive for them to "get over it" in.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2021, 12:50 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I mean, it's pretty standard psychology. Big events like that have lasting impacts on people. Have you never heard of people that lived through the Great Depression having a higher prevalence of hoarding behaviors?

Reminds me of this piece that links the two topics.

Some Americans No Longer Believe in the Common Good
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2021, 01:11 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Reminds me of this piece that links the two topics.

Some Americans No Longer Believe in the Common Good

We've replaced patriotism with jingoism.

Reply/Quote
(08-24-2021, 01:16 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: We've replaced patriotism with jingoism.

That or anti-patriotism.  What was absolutely a sense of shared experience and solidarity after 9/11 has morphed into something ugly on both ends of the spectrum, and they both feed off each other.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2021, 12:52 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I'm sorry.  But I find this to be a moronic reply to the topic at hand.  This country might not even survive for them to "get over it" in.

LOL

Talk about lack of self awareness.

Reply/Quote
(08-24-2021, 10:27 AM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Wait, you think people have gotten over 9/11 and the great recession?   

I think it sure didn't "forever ruin" this country. Just like every other terrible thing that's happened to past generations.

Reply/Quote

Well, I feel old now.

(08-24-2021, 12:50 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I mean, it's pretty standard psychology. Big events like that have lasting impacts on people. Have you never heard of people that lived through the Great Depression having a higher prevalence of hoarding behaviors?

Oh lord, yes.  My father-in-law and many of his siblings were like this.  Huge hoarders... If there was an empty space in their house, they had an uncontrollable need to fill it with something.

Then again, it might just be older people in general.  We visited some friends a while ago who are in their 70s and I thought I walked into a Cracker Barrel.  They had two sofas and five chairs in their living room. They each had a desk and a dining room table with six chairs.  All of that for two people.  That's not even counting the sixteen dressers they had spread around. (OK, that last part was an exaggeration, but you get the idea)
Reply/Quote