Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mass Expansion
How many teams do you think will be added?

Name the Expansion cities?

How Else do you think the NFL will be changed by Expansion?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2022, 04:23 PM)J24 Wrote: How many teams do you think will be added?

How Else do you think the NFL will be  changed by Expansion?

Not sure How it will happen.....  But I think the next push will take us to 40...  might take a few minor expansions to get there but 40 keeps everything about the same except with 5 teams per division.

No the Big thing to Think about with this Expansion is the Talent per team..... some teams already have plenty of trouble getting enough talent on the field. imagine 8 more teams in the mix

OR they add a 5th Division to each Conference and Place 8 teams in Europe.
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2022, 04:23 PM)J24 Wrote: How many teams do you think will be added?

How Else do you think the NFL will be  changed by Expansion?

8 teams will be added to make 40 teams. There will be 8 divisions of  5 teams. The process will start by 2025 and end by 2035!

The Expansion cities
1.) Toronto 
2.)Montreal 
3.)Vancouver 
4.) San Antonio 
5.) Orlando 
6.)Oakland 
7.)St.louis
8.)London 

Their will be multiple effects of Mass Expansion!

1.) Divisions will be altered significantly!
2.) The NFL will invest in a developmental league to help develop O linemen and QBs in particular! 
3.) The regular Season will go from 17 to 18 games.
3.) The playoffs will go from 14 to 16!
J24

Reply/Quote
How about no expansion? Cool, Let’s do that!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2022, 10:11 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: How about no expansion? Cool, Let’s do that!

[Image: love.gif]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Bleacher Report had an article about this recently and listed Columbus as deserving of an NFL franchise. I'd think the Bengals or Browns would need to leave Ohio before the NFL would pursue Columbus.
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2022, 11:17 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Bleacher Report had an article about this recently and listed Columbus as deserving of an NFL franchise. I'd think the Bengals or Browns would need to leave Ohio before the NFL would pursue Columbus.

No way Columbus gets a franchise unless another team moves.

Indianaoplis and Pittsburgh are just as close to Columbus as Cleveland.

Plus Columbus already has a team in the Buckeyes.  Any NFL team would be #2 in the city behind OSU.
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2022, 10:11 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: How about no expansion? Cool, Let’s do that!

Why?
J24

Reply/Quote
(06-24-2022, 05:00 PM)J24 Wrote: Why?

Why would any fan (not currently in a city that would get a team) want to see expansion?

It only hurts the existing teams and makes owners richer.

1- expansion draft means we lose players from our team for nothing.

2- more teams means fewer high rookie draft picks. If we win the super bowl our pick wouldn’t be until 40 instead of 32. Pick two would be 80 instead of 64. Our 3rd rounder would essentially be the equivalent of a mid/late 4th rounder in a 32 team league.

3- once all the new teams are competitive we go from a 1/32 chance of winning a super bowl to 1/40….stats guys give me a break here, you know what I’m saying.

4- it will water down the talent and competition level of the whole league.

There is NO reason for a fan of an existing team to want this. None.
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2022, 11:17 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Bleacher Report had an article about this recently and listed Columbus as deserving of an NFL franchise. I'd think the Bengals or Browns would need to leave Ohio before the NFL would pursue Columbus.

I’m in Columbus, no thank you. Everyone here has a team, not many would give them up for a new expansion team. No reason for a 3rd Ohio team
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2022, 05:59 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: I’m in Columbus, no thank you. Everyone here has a team, not many would give them up for a new expansion team. No reason for a 3rd Ohio team

I used to live there, and I get what you're saying. It's basically a Browns town (a Buckeye town moreso). At the same time, people in Orlando and San Antonio already have teams too. Oakland and St. Louis are 2 time losers with NFL franchises. I think Columbus has as strong a claim as any city in this country to gain an NFL franchise.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2022, 05:57 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Why would any fan (not currently in a city that would get a team) want to see expansion?

It only hurts the existing teams and makes owners richer.

1- expansion draft means we lose players from our team for nothing.

2- more teams means fewer high rookie draft picks. If we win the super bowl our pick wouldn’t be until 40 instead of 32. Pick two would be 80 instead of 64. Our 3rd rounder would essentially be the equivalent of a mid/late 4th rounder in a 32 team league.

3- once all the new teams are competitive we go from a 1/32 chance of winning a super bowl to 1/40….stats guys give me a break here, you know what I’m saying.

4- it will water down the talent and competition level of the whole league.

There is NO reason for a fan of an existing team to want this. None.

1.) Usually the guys that are drafted for expansion teams are end of the roster/PS type players. I don't really see why any team would be that worried to lose any of those types of players.

2.) Is there really that big of a difference between between picks 40 and 32 in a given year or between  96 and 120? Also if it's that big of a difference maybe a snake draft to offset the unfair advantage.

3.) So?

4.) This would be my major concern as well. (Particularly at the OL position) With that being said I think the NFL is confident that there will be a significant jump in international talent within the next decade( especially from Europe)That should add 15 to 20% more players to the player pool. Also a developmental league will help increase the talent pool as well
J24

Reply/Quote
(06-25-2022, 02:17 AM)J24 Wrote: 1.) Usually the guys that are drafted for expansion teams are end of the roster/PS type players. I don't really see why any team would be that worried to lose any of those types of players.

2.) Is there really that big of a difference between between picks 40 and 32 in a given year or between  96 and 120? Also if it's that big of a difference maybe a snake draft to offset the unfair advantage.

3.) So?

4.) This would be my major concern as well. (Particularly at the OL position) With that being said I think the NFL is confident that there will be a significant jump in international talent within the next decade( especially from Europe)That should add 15 to 20% more players to the player pool. Also a developmental league will help increase the talent pool as well

1- if we are talking expansion to 40 teams, that’s 8 players (or more from better teams and we just went to the super bowl). Yeah that should absolutely worry everyone. Won’t happen all in one year but it will happen if they expand.

2- Expansion draft rules change. You have no guarantee they won’t require each team to list 10-15 players or say each team can only protect 22 players/etc. the nfl is not going to expand a bunch in a short time and let all the new teams suck for a decade, that’s a bad business decision so they will need to offer better players to the new teams making it hurt more for existing teams.

3- They May decide to make it hurt a LOT for some of the expansion drafts. Look at what the NHL did in the last two drafts. The Vegas draft was incredibly in the favor of the expansion team and took really good players from other teams. They made the finals right away. Then the next team in Seattle isn’t as an exciting market and gets more of an expansion draft you might expect. Even if the LV draft was legitimately an accident that wasn’t supposed to work so well, the nfl would certainly be capable of making the same mistake.

4- To your point 2- There are only so many players each year in each draft “category” elite prospects, starting caliber, backups, ST’s and PS guys. So yes, the more teams there are drafting definitely makes a difference. We moved up a handful of spots last draft and gave up solid picks for it. A few spots make a big difference. No telling where that will be each year as each talent pool is different but it matters.

5- our franchise had been around what? 55 years or so? So if we won our fair share (assuming 32 teams the whole time when it actually had even fewer teams for over half our existence) we should have been to 3-4 SB’s by now and won at least one (1-2) with another on the way in the next decade. We haven’t even won our fair share with a smaller league. Why would we want 25% more competition? Would you feel just as good about our chances of winning a SB if they expanded to 100 teams? Of course not. Why would we want to add 8 more teams to have to fight?

6- NFL schedule has every team playing every other team at least once every 4 years. Add 8 more teams and we won’t see some for 6 years or more. OR they go from their 18 game schedule desire to needing to have 20-22 regular season games each year in a grueling sport with tons of injuries where they are already watering down the talent big time with the expansion.

And as you already stated, OL talent has been lacking as is for years, I’d hate to see it with 8 more teams in the league and even longer seasons and longer postseasons (add 8 more teams you have to expand the playoffs). That would be an absolute mess especially on the o line. They’ve been trying for international talent for decades and it has not panned out in any significant way. Gambling on that would almost certainly fail. American football will not compete with soccer over there.

What are some reasons we should want to see expansion?
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2022, 11:25 AM)leonardfan40 Wrote: 1- if we are talking expansion to 40 teams, that’s 8 players (or more from better teams and we just went to the super bowl). Yeah that should absolutely worry everyone. Won’t happen all in one year but it will happen if they expand.

2- Expansion draft rules change. You have no guarantee they won’t require each team to list 10-15 players or say each team can only protect 22 players/etc. the nfl is not going to expand a bunch in a short time and let all the new teams suck for a decade, that’s a bad business decision so they will need to offer better players to the new teams making it hurt more for existing teams.

3- They May decide to make it hurt a LOT for some of the expansion drafts. Look at what the NHL did in the last two drafts. The Vegas draft was incredibly in the favor of the expansion team and took really good players from other teams. They made the finals right away. Then the next team in Seattle isn’t as an exciting market and gets more of an expansion draft you might expect. Even if the LV draft was legitimately an accident that wasn’t supposed to work so well, the nfl would certainly be capable of making the same mistake.

4- To your point 2- There are only so many players each year in each draft “category” elite prospects, starting caliber, backups, ST’s and PS guys. So yes, the more teams there are drafting definitely makes a difference. We moved up a handful of spots last draft and gave up solid picks for it. A few spots make a big difference. No telling where that will be each year as each talent pool is different but it matters.

5- our franchise had been around what? 55 years or so? So if we won our fair share (assuming 32 teams the whole time when it actually had even fewer teams for over half our existence) we should have been to 3-4 SB’s by now and won at least one (1-2) with another on the way in the next decade. We haven’t even won our fair share with a smaller league. Why would we want 25% more competition?  Would you feel just as good about our chances of winning a SB if they expanded to 100 teams? Of course not. Why would we want to add 8 more teams to have to fight?

6- NFL schedule has every team playing every other team at least once every 4 years. Add 8 more teams and we won’t see some for 6 years or more. OR they go from their 18 game schedule desire to needing to have 20-22 regular season games each year in a grueling sport with tons of injuries where they are already watering down the talent big time with the expansion.

And as you already stated, OL talent has been lacking as is for years, I’d hate to see it with 8 more teams in the league and even longer seasons and longer postseasons (add 8 more teams you have to expand the playoffs). That would be an absolute mess especially on the o line. They’ve been trying for international talent for decades and it has not panned out in any significant way. Gambling on that would almost certainly fail. American football will not compete with soccer over there.

What are some reasons we should want to see expansion?
I'm not really for expansion I just see it an a inevitable outcome. A benefit would be smaller markets as ourselves won't have to worry about moving markets. At the end of the day the owners and unions will do what's best for business.

As for international  players- Football is growing and the NFL is growing as a league all over the world. There will be a significant amount of prospects that have a international background that come to the NFL!
J24

Reply/Quote
Expand the fields to 1000 yards and that stadium problem..DAMMIT! It sounded good at first.. It would cut down on running back kickoffs..and the kicking game and scoring and...and...and... It would kind of suck to have seats near an endzone..  Tongue Crowds would scream whenever either team had the ball on their side of the field and sleep the rest of the game..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote