Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Mass Shooting at San Antonio Elementary School
I haven't seen a thread on it yet, so I wanted to get a conversation going. Today, an eighteen year old went to Uvalde Elementary School and killed a total of 21 people (18 children, three adults). He was killed by law enforcement. This is the deadliest school shooting in Texas history so far. Here are a few links to news reports...

San Antonio News

Reuters

What do you folks think the solution is? What can be done?
Reply/Quote
For this particular incident, we do not have enough information to say anything about what could have been done to prevent it. Some will focus on guns, which is predictable. However, the violent acts are symptoms of underlying conditions in our society and our efforts should be focused on those things. Which one was at play here, however, is unknown.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
I foreseeing this unfolding the same. Left blames guns, suggest gun control, right blame shooter, rebut gun control. Left will say we are only country with this problem, right will point to other countries and how murder is murder no matter the weapon. We fight over how unmoral the other side is, and ultimately never change each other’s opinions.

Not to say the debate shouldn’t happen, but each side has a different perspective which has been shaped by life experiences and their own upbringing. I just hope we can agree that no one WANTS this to happen, the solution to solve it is just not the same to specific individuals.
Reply/Quote
Don't know how he gained access. Metal detector, where the entrance is funneled there with a guard, is what I think of, to try and stop this. I used to have to sign in, and buzz two doors to visit my father in a dementia center. Now that was to keep people from escaping but I had to go thru a process to get in there. All the real details remain still unknown though at this point.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2022, 10:33 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: I foreseeing this unfolding the same. Left blames guns, suggest gun control, right blame shooter, rebut gun control. Left will say we are only country with this problem, right will point to other countries and how murder is murder no matter the weapon. We fight over how unmoral the other side is, and ultimately never change each other’s opinions.

Not to say the debate shouldn’t happen, but each side has a different perspective which has been shaped by life experiences and their own upbringing. I just hope we can agree that no one WANTS this to happen, the solution to solve it is just not the same to specific individuals.

Give this man an award for predicting the thread
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
This is incredibly sad.

My opinion is, we cannot expect our leaders or authority to police this for us. If this kid (18yo) had more loving people in his life he probably wouldn't have done this. We really just need to be kinder to each other and try to better recognize when our loved ones might be mentally unbalanced.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2022, 10:17 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: What do you folks think the solution is? What can be done?

Unfortunately nothing will be done. If something was really going to change for the better it would have happened after Sandy Hook. Instead politics got involved that had nothing to do with protecting the people of this country but rather please their lobbyist and donors. 

This will continue while people fight each of their sides, and mass shootings will continue and innocent lives will continue to be lost...
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2022, 10:33 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: I foreseeing this unfolding the same. Left blames guns, suggest gun control, right blame shooter, rebut gun control. Left will say we are only country with this problem, right will point to other countries and how murder is murder no matter the weapon. We fight over how unmoral the other side is, and ultimately never change each other’s opinions.

In what countries is there as much mass shootings ?

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
Simple solution most people ain't gonna like, but they get to keep their guns for the most part.. mandatory liability insurance for all firearms owned.. Failure to keep insurance current gets them confiscated, but it also makes you liable for any and all injuries or death when someone gets harmed or killed without just cause..  Makes sense to me.. 
The rights of unfettered gun ownership simply cannot supersede the rights of children to attend school safely.. 
Think about it.. You can't legally drive a car without insurance..Why would you be allowed to own guns without it?  Insurance companies get to make the killing instead of irresponsible gun owners.. 
Also make it mandatory that all firearms be registered.. No exceptions.. You can't drive an unregistered uninsured car..
It doesn't make guns any less safe in and of themselves, but it eliminates a lot of the bullsh*t arguments and debates.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-25-2022, 04:41 AM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: In what countries is there as much mass shootings ?

There is some other problem here that goes beyond access to firearms. A person in France could take a machete to an elementary school and do a lot of damage. But they don’t. There’s some reason these 16-20 year old psychopaths are going off. This didn’t use to happen.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(05-25-2022, 04:57 AM)grampahol Wrote: Simple solution most people ain't gonna like, but they get to keep their guns for the most part.. mandatory liability insurance for all firearms owned.. Failure to keep insurance current gets them confiscated, but it also makes you liable for any and all injuries or death when someone gets harmed or killed without just cause..  Makes sense to me.. 
The rights of unfettered gun ownership simply cannot supersede the rights of children to attend school safely.. 
Think about it.. You can't legally drive a car without insurance..Why would you be allowed to own guns without it?  Insurance companies get to make the killing instead of irresponsible gun owners.. 
Also make it mandatory that all firearms be registered.. No exceptions.. You can't drive an unregistered uninsured car..
It doesn't make guns any less safe in and of themselves, but it eliminates a lot of the bullsh*t arguments and debates.. 

How does liability insurance change any of this? Do you think the psychopath cares about that? And gun ownership and car ownership can’t be compared. One is a constitutional right.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(05-25-2022, 08:14 AM)michaelsean Wrote: There is some other problem here that goes beyond access to firearms. A person in France could take a machete to an elementary school and do a lot of damage. But they don’t. There’s some reason these 16-20 year old psychopaths are going off.  This didn’t use to happen.

It takes a lot of times to kill 20 people with a machete than an assault rifle though.

Sometimes a weirdo tries to assault some cops and get killed but it doesn't happen very often and almost never in school.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(05-25-2022, 08:14 AM)michaelsean Wrote: There is some other problem here that goes beyond access to firearms. A person in France could take a machete to an elementary school and do a lot of damage. But they don’t. There’s some reason these 16-20 year old psychopaths are going off.  This didn’t use to happen.

I think the writing was on the wall as soon as a primary source of monetary gain became linked to selling people fear, hatred, and an enemy within arms length. 

I don't know what this guys story is, but in a general sense we seem to be fostering "psychopaths" the way smoking fosters lung cancer.  It's not a guarantee, but there is a link some people are more willing to admit than others. (again, for monetary reasons).

As soon as you can get on the internet you're subject to people and companies trying to get you hooked on self righteous anger.  We are completely addicted to thus stuff. 
Reply/Quote
What an American way to kick off summer I guess.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2022, 08:28 AM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: It takes a lot of times to kill 20 people with a machete than an assault rifle though.

Sometimes a weirdo tries to assault some cops and get killed but it doesn't happen very often and almost never in school.

I assure you every American male has, at least 1000 times, imagined himself standing up to and beating up (with untrained yet effective karate) some one who has a knife or other non firearm weapon. 

Our steady diet of action movies and big Macs have created quite the gap in our perceived and our actual combat abilities. 

In regards to this shooting, sadly if we can just not harass the families of the victims with threats of death that in itself will be a step in a positive direction.  
Reply/Quote
Why don't you try a gun ban in one state ? And see what happens ? If after 5 years, crimes get right down to close to 0 that might be a good clue to start with.

Ex : Hawaï

Reply/Quote
(05-25-2022, 08:28 AM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: It takes a lot of times to kill 20 people with a machete than an assault rifle though.

OK so you kill 12 instead of 20.  They were little kids.  I just don't think there are Frenchmen waiting to massacre schoolchildren if only they had a firearm.  

Reply/Quote
(05-25-2022, 09:18 AM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: Why don't you try a gun ban in one state ? And see what happens ? If after 5 years, crimes get right down to close to 0 that might be a good clue to start with.

isnt there a full gun ban in Chicago?  they have shootings every weekend    the point still remains gun bans only stop law abiding citizens
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2022, 09:18 AM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: Why don't you try a gun ban in one state ? And see what happens ? If after 5 years, crimes get right down to close to 0 that might be a good clue to start with.

This is gonna trigger people but I think it's funny we hear the argument "If you ban abortions, people will just get get them in unsafe and illegal ways!" and then many of the same people suggest banning guns is a solution.  (Not necessarily from you)

People are gonna do what they want to do.  Writing more laws is a deterrent but meaningless to a person who's motivations outweigh the power of law.  
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2022, 09:19 AM)michaelsean Wrote: OK so you kill 12 instead of 20.  They were little kids.  I just don't think there are Frenchmen waiting to massacre schoolchildren if only they had a firearm.  

I do think the contrary because you can feel way more confident with a gun than with a knife. 

You can be stopped by people throwing things at you with a knife, stopped by a couple of people and you won't be stopped with an assault rifle by 5 unarmed guys.

And I think we would have some mass shootings if somehow we can find guns easily.

Selling body armors are not a good idea either.

Reply/Quote