Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Mass Shooting at San Antonio Elementary School
Liberals spreading videos of the police being ineffective and/or subject to "bad apples" has me more convinced to buy an arsenal than all the conservative fear mongering I've heard.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2022, 10:31 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Liberals spreading videos of the police being ineffective and/or subject to "bad apples" has me more convinced to buy an arsenal than all the conservative fear mongering I've heard.

It's fascinating how often irrational arguments contradict themselves and yet comfortably reside within the same person, isn't it?
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2022, 11:22 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: It's fascinating how often irrational arguments contradict themselves and yet comfortably reside within the same person, isn't it?

I'm open to whatever you are saying, but you need to be more specific. 
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2022, 11:25 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm open to whatever you are saying, but you need to be more specific. 

You mentioned how liberals denigrating law enforcement made you want to own a gun more than any conservative fear mongering.  Many, if not most, of the guns are bad crew are also anti-law enforcement.  Yet they want law enforcement to be the only people with guns.  Or, the anti-gun politicians who spend tens of thousands of dollars on personal, armed security. 
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2022, 11:34 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: You mentioned how liberals denigrating law enforcement made you want to own a gun more than any conservative fear mongering.  Many, if not most, of the guns are bad crew are also anti-law enforcement.  Yet they want law enforcement to be the only people with guns.  Or, the anti-gun politicians who spend tens of thousands of dollars on personal, armed security. 

I think the guns for police only mindset is pretty antiquated and is being replaced with testing the mental stability of Leo's and citizens alike. 

Personally what stops me from owning guns is the notion that owning a gun is often the step towards being shot. 

But i support guns for all.  Let's just get it over with.
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2022, 11:41 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I think the guns for police only mindset is pretty antiquated and is being replaced with testing the mental stability of Leo's and citizens alike. 

Personally what stops me from owning guns is the notion that owning a gun is often the step towards being shot. 

But i support guns for all.  Let's just get it over with.

The owning a gun makes you more likely to get shot has always annoyed me as a use of statistics to say something that's factually accurate but entirely misleading.  Of course you're more likely to get shot if you own a gun, the same way you're more likely to get in a car accident if you drive a car.  Both are true statements and both are essentially "duh" statements.
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2022, 12:18 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: The owning a gun makes you more likely to get shot has always annoyed me as a use of statistics to say something that's factually accurate but entirely misleading.  Of course you're more likely to get shot if you own a gun, the same way you're more likely to get in a car accident if you drive a car.  Both are true statements and both are essentially "duh" statements.

Well, it's more my commentary about people being a biased in which side of the gun they picture they'll be on.  

Anyways, if liberals want gun control the most effective way to get it is for them to start accumulating guns. 
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2022, 12:22 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Well, it's more my commentary about people being a biased in which side of the gun they picture they'll be on.  

Anyways, if liberals want gun control the most effective way to get it is for them to start accumulating guns. 

I'm sure you've seen me and Bel have this exact discussion, no contradictions here.  I'm for anyone who's not a convicted felon owning a firearm if they so choose.  I'm even cool with earning the right back if it was a non-violent felony and sufficient time has passed to show you've moved on from being a shithead criminal.  I don't care if you're left of Antifa, as long as you abide by the law own whatever you want and can afford.
Reply/Quote
Most people on these board support people legally owning guns who are legally allowed to own them.

This isn't about that. 

This is about the inaction while children were screaming and getting shot by a lone gunman.

[Image: FXge-LZo-Xo-AMi-l-L.jpg]
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2022, 12:43 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'm sure you've seen me and Bel have this exact discussion, no contradictions here.  I'm for anyone who's not a convicted felon owning a firearm if they so choose.  I'm even cool with earning the right back if it was a non-violent felony and sufficient time has passed to show you've moved on from being a shithead criminal.  I don't care if you're left of Antifa, as long as you abide by the law own whatever you want and can afford.

Well, I meant more the old school stuff like governor Reagan supporting gun control when the black panthers started copwatching.  I could be wrong, but doesn't this stuff go even further back to stuff like brass knuckles and switchblades being illegal because blacks who weren't allowed to own guns would have these items for defense and it was easier to just make them illegal for everyone since they weren't popular enough to avoid a ban.

It's just weird that I can buy an assault rifle but not brass knuckles.  I guess brass knuckles aren't "arms" or something.  Anyways, old meets new...buy guns and if the government doesn't like you they may try to take 'em from all of us.
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2022, 01:33 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Well, I meant more the old school stuff like governor Reagan supporting gun control when the black panthers started copwatching.  I could be wrong, but doesn't this stuff go even further back to stuff like brass knuckles and switchblades being illegal because blacks who weren't allowed to own guns would have these items for defense and it was easier to just make them illegal for everyone since they weren't popular enough to avoid a ban.

It's just weird that I can buy an assault rifle but not brass knuckles.  I guess brass knuckles aren't "arms" or something.  Anyways, old meets new...buy guns and if the government doesn't like you they may try to take 'em from all of us.

You are indeed correct that gun control almost always has a heavy dose of racism baked into it.  Look at many of the proposals from Dems about increasing taxes on guns and ammunition to obscene levels, making them unaffordable for lower income people.  You think applications in "may issue" states aren't heavily skewed by the wealth and connections of the applicant?  Howard Stern has a CCW in NYC, and the man has constant armed security with him in public, why would Howard Stern need a CCW?  Why is his application more important than a bodega owner who has to make all cash deposits?

As for brass knuckles, they are illegal in CA, but I don't think they're illegal nationwide.  Also, spring assisted switchblades are illegal, but not flip knives that open easily, and quickly, with one hand. So, not much, if any difference in ease of use or effectiveness.
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2022, 01:41 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: You are indeed correct that gun control almost always has a heavy dose of racism baked into it.  Look at many of the proposals from Dems about increasing taxes on guns and ammunition to obscene levels, making them unaffordable for lower income people.  You think applications in "may issue" states aren't heavily skewed by the wealth and connections of the applicant?  Howard Stern has a CCW in NYC, and the man has constant armed security with him in public, why would Howard Stern need a CCW?  Why is his application more important than a bodega owner who has to make all cash deposits?

As for brass knuckles, they are illegal in CA, but I don't think they're illegal nationwide.  Also, spring assisted switchblades are illegal, but not flip knives that open easily, and quickly, with one hand. So, not much, if any difference in ease of use or effectiveness.

A few years ago I got into throwing knives just for shits and giggles.  Now have a foldable I can stick into wood grain within a 2 ft radius from 15 ft away.  impractical, but fun as hell to show off from time to time. 

Bought a flip switch trainer that I **** around with on calls all day long now.  Going to take a while before I trust myself to but the real deal hahahah.
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2022, 05:05 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: A few years ago I got into throwing knives just for shits and giggles.  Now have a foldable I can stick into wood grain within a 2 ft radius from 15 ft away.  impractical, but fun as hell to show off from time to time. 

Bought a flip switch trainer that I **** around with on calls all day long now.  Going to take a while before I trust myself to but the real deal hahahah.

I can't do butterfly knives.  I can play bass on an average level, but there's some digital mental block I have for those.  I have a nice folding knife I carry on a daily basis, I've never thrown it at anything though.  Wink
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2022, 12:43 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'm sure you've seen me and Bel have this exact discussion, no contradictions here.  I'm for anyone who's not a convicted felon owning a firearm if they so choose.  I'm even cool with earning the right back if it was a non-violent felony and sufficient time has passed to show you've moved on from being a shithead criminal.  I don't care if you're left of Antifa, as long as you abide by the law own whatever you want and can afford.

I feel there are obvious examples that would preclude gun ownership, such as:

Anyone who has previously committed a crime where a gun was involved.
Anyone diagnosed with a serious mental illness such as schizophrenia.
Anyone who has been found to have made credible threats towards the public.

I also think gun ownership should require testing, a license and liability insurance. 

Reply/Quote
(07-13-2022, 05:53 PM)Lucidus Wrote: I feel there are obvious examples that would preclude gun ownership, such as:

Anyone who has previously committed a crime where a gun was involved.

I know you're in the UK, here this would normally be covered by a felony conviction.  Although in Los Angeles our "progressive" DA has routinely been charging minors with a misdemeanor for being in possession of a concealed handgun (the crime is a "wobbler" meaning it can be charged as a felony or misdemeanor based on the preference of the DA).  I've personally seen easily over two hundred cases of this in the past two years, and that's a drop in the bucket.

Quote:Anyone diagnosed with a serious mental illness such as schizophrenia.

This is largely already the case.  I'm not familiar with the all the variances between states though.

Quote:Anyone who has been found to have made credible threats towards the public.

This one is a bit more nebulous.  The 1st amendment protects a ton of speech that can result in jail time in the UK.  You'd really have to be more specific here.

Quote:I also think gun ownership should require testing, a license and liability insurance. 

Testing is the case in many states.  A license in some, such as Illinois, but I have a feeling that's going to fall after the recent SCOTUS ruling.  Insurance is an absolute non-starter.  You cannot place a monetary requirement on a constitutional right.  Again, within your positions there is a ton of wiggle room that would have to be ironed out and clear boundaries set before it would even begin to pass constitutional scrutiny.  

I recognize that my familiarity and comfort with firearms, being raised in a family on which both sides have very long standing military backgrounds gives me a completely different perspective on their ownership.  My grandfather gave me my first gun on my 11th birthday (M1 carbine he brought back from WW2), I've been taught how to safely be around and/or use them most of my life.  I understand that is not the case for many people and I understand their trepidation about firearms, especially given the deluge of hyperbolic information on them spewed by much of the media.  So, I'm always happy to discuss the subject with someone who is genuinely willing to inquire and learn more.
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2022, 05:29 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I can't do butterfly knives.  I can play bass on an average level, but there's some digital mental block I have for those.  I have a nice folding knife I carry on a daily basis, I've never thrown it at anything though.  Wink

No mumbly-peg? You don't know what you're missing!

I carry a pretty nice Benchmade these days. We recently lifted the restriction on the auto folders, and I have been considering one. I just don't see the need. I already have probably $3-4k in knives sitting around.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2022, 05:29 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I can't do butterfly knives.  I can play bass on an average level, but there's some digital mental block I have for those.  I have a nice folding knife I carry on a daily basis, I've never thrown it at anything though.  Wink

Have you ever thrown your bass at anything?
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2022, 07:52 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: No mumbly-peg? You don't know what you're missing!

Oh man, we actually did that once with an ice pick when I was around 16.  Suffice to say, someone injured themselves rather badly and that was the end of that.  When I think of how injured we could have been doing some of the dumb shit we did.

Quote:I carry a pretty nice Benchmade these days. We recently lifted the restriction on the auto folders, and I have been considering one. I just don't see the need. I already have probably $3-4k in knives sitting around.

Nice, mine is a Cold Steel, so pretty middle of the road.  Your knife collection strikes me as on par with my firearms collection.  I don't like buying anything that isn't high quality.  No Hi Points here.

(07-13-2022, 08:41 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Have you ever thrown your bass at anything?

Oh dear lord no.  It's heavy and would likely break.   Mellow
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2022, 09:17 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Oh man, we actually did that once with an ice pick when I was around 16.  Suffice to say, someone injured themselves rather badly and that was the end of that.  When I think of how injured we could have been doing some of the dumb shit we did.

My favorite is when we look back in the literature for Boy Scouts it is a game in the handbooks. Definitely not something we can get the kids to do these days.

(07-13-2022, 09:17 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Nice, mine is a Cold Steel, so pretty middle of the road.  Your knife collection strikes me as on par with my firearms collection.  I don't like buying anything that isn't high quality.  No Hi Points here.

I like sharp things. I get it from my father who was a woodworker. I don't have the talent he had, but he imparted in me an appreciation for quality blades. Kitchen knives, axes, pocket knives, multi-tools, sheath knives, all of them have to be a good quality. I keep them sharp and, if carbon steel, oiled well. I wish I could say that at least it's cheaper than firearms, but I have a couple knives that are as expensive as my Glocks. I may actually have underestimated the money I have in my collection.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

4 or 5 string?
Reply/Quote