Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mass grave of new human relative found
Link that makes you Think

Quote:“I give you a new species of human - ‘***** naledi,’” said Professor Lee Berger, head of the paleontology team at University of the Witwatersrand in Johannesburg, and leader of the discovery team...."

[Image: Human%20Ancestor_Cham640360.jpg?ve=1&tl=1]
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
I've seen it phrased this way before, but shouldn't it be "new species of hominid" not human? I've seen the Smithsonian say "species of humans" when referring to hominids, but it still sounds wrong to me. Is human not exclusive to ***** sapien?
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(09-10-2015, 04:19 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I've seen it phrased this way before, but shouldn't it be "new species of hominid" not human? I've seen the Smithsonian say "species of humans" when referring to hominids, but it still sounds wrong to me. Is human not exclusive to ***** sapien?

I believe human is not exclusive to H. Sapiens, at least in the scientific community. In common usage you are correct, but as far as science is concerned, since hominid/hominin are synonymous with human they are interchangeable.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
I thought this would be bigger news here. This new find could be the 'missing link'.

They say it will rewrite the history books.

But not everyone agrees, from the link:

Quote:Not everybody agreed that the discovery revealed a new species. Tim White of the University of California, Berkeley, told The Associated Press the claim is questionable.

"From what is presented here, (the fossils) belong to a primitive ***** erectus, a species named in the 1800s," he said.

So, this find isn't without controversy, it may not be news at all.
New discoveries require additional scrutinization before becoming accepted as part of the scientific method.
I read earlier today that they found evidence of ritualistic burials, something up to this point only found in our species.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

(09-10-2015, 06:19 PM)Beaker Wrote: New discoveries require additional scrutinization before becoming accepted as part of the scientific method.

I don't about how much scrutiny this site's received. But it was discovered in 2013. 
(09-10-2015, 05:50 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I believe human is not exclusive to H. Sapiens, at least in the scientific community. In common usage you are correct, but as far as science is concerned, since hominid/hominin are synonymous with human they are interchangeable.

That's what I assumed when I saw it used that way on the Smithsonian website.

Recall when "Lucy" turned out to be some extinct ape, not a human ancestor.
(09-10-2015, 09:22 PM)Blutarsky Wrote: Recall when "Lucy" turned out to be some extinct ape, not a human ancestor.

OMG.... this is great bait !
LOL
(09-10-2015, 09:22 PM)Blutarsky Wrote: Recall when "Lucy" turned out to be some extinct ape, not a human ancestor.

All extinct hominids are extinct apes. We're extant apes. As far as I know, Lucy is still considered an Australopithecus, making her a relative, if not direct ancestor, of humans. 

Every time science finds an extinct species, they claim they have it. Some folks buy into it.

The latest are these "underground astronauts".
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(09-10-2015, 09:42 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: OMG.... this is great bait !
LOL
Well it certainly explains a lot of his posts. Ninja
(09-11-2015, 05:28 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Every time science finds an extinct species, they claim they have it. Some folks buy into it.

The latest are these "underground astronauts".

The underground astronauts were the spelunkers who found the remains.
They also found remnants of an Ocho Cinco jersey among Lucys remains. The apelike skeleton ended up being that of a Bengals fan who must have lost his way. Nothing to see here. Big Grin
(09-12-2015, 12:53 AM)Blutarsky Wrote: They also found remnants of an Ocho Cinco jersey among Lucys remains. The apelike skeleton ended up being that of a Bengals fan who must have lost his way. Nothing to see here. Big Grin

[Image: jake-no.gif]
(09-11-2015, 11:58 PM)Beaker Wrote: The underground astronauts were the spelunkers who found the remains.

Who said they were not?
They most likely bought into it. Did you?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(09-12-2015, 01:19 AM)Devils Advocate Wrote: [Image: jake-no.gif]

[Image: 1zyu1c2.gif]
(09-12-2015, 02:27 AM)Blutarsky Wrote: [Image: 1zyu1c2.gif]

[Image: YoIPy1.gif]
(09-12-2015, 09:43 AM)Devils Advocate Wrote: [Image: YoIPy1.gif]

[Image: iqitsj.gif]

Yes, you should just walk away now.
After all, you had no objection to Roto and Richmond making the connection between "Lucy" the ape and StLucie the Bengal fan.