Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Matching up against the North
I'm not too worried about the Ravens. The Bengals play them tough even when they are good, and offensively, I don't believe that they are all that great. I think they at least have an eye on a QB transition very soon, which is never good for the incumbent. It's particularly bad when said incumbent is coming off little to no recent playoff success.

The Steelers will be the Steelers on offense. The only thing that will slow them down is a continued decline from Ben. The o-line is too good and the receiving corps is probably the league's best. Bell won't let up as some have suggested, but even if he did, that line will allow any competent runner to have success. Their weakness IMO is their secondary. It has been for awhile. Artie Burns looks like he might be a bust. The rest of them are pretty much just guys at this point. The outside linebackers will be terrific as always, but how does the inside look with the loss of Shazier? I feel like the defense in PIT is a little like ours in that it could pretty much go either way. It's by no means without flaws, though.

The Browns are intriguing. If they can gel and stay healthy on defense, then they'll be a tough unit. The o-line is decent, but Thomas being gone will sting. They'll have to move guys around or replace him with a young guy. Either way, it's going to be a huge downgrade. The WR corps looks like a nightmare to deal with if somebody can get them the ball. As always it comes down to the QB, and I'm not sure about Mayfield. I do think Taylor will be a competent stopgap. He's as good as anyone they've had up there, but that's not saying a lot. I'm not afraid of this team until they put something together. They added a lot of talent, but they've had big free agents and high draft picks before. A lot. I'm still skeptical of how it all comes together. Also, I think they'll regret not drafting Josh Rosen.

I have zero clue what to make of the Bengals. I don't think it's nuts to think they could have a good year. They still have a wealth of good, seasoned talent. They also have a respectable crop of young talent emerging, particularly on defense with the pass-rush and secondary. I like that. The offense is another story. Can a decent young number 2 finally emerge behind AJ? Will they finally replace the speed they lost when Marvin Jones left? Was the improved line play an illusion or the new reality last year? Can the safeties get on the same page on defense? How will this linebacking corps shape up?

I honestly have no idea and will be surprised by nothing. Hopefully they have it together out of the gate unlike last year's disaster. My worry is that their best player (AJ) is on entering the downside of his career and that Andy will be under major scrutiny if he doesn't produce quickly in the new system. I feel like the organization made certain changes last year, and that if it doesn't work, then Andy will be next to go.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2018, 02:07 PM)samhain Wrote: I'm not too worried about the Ravens.  The Bengals play them tough even when they are good, and offensively, I don't believe that they are all that great.  I think they at least have an eye on a QB transition very soon, which is never good for the incumbent.  It's particularly bad when said incumbent is coming off little to no recent playoff success.  

The Steelers will be the Steelers on offense.  The only thing that will slow them down is a continued decline from Ben.  The o-line is too good and the receiving corps is probably the league's best.  Bell won't let up as some have suggested, but even if he did, that line will allow any competent runner to have success.  Their weakness IMO is their secondary.  It has been for awhile.  Artie Burns looks like he might be a bust. The rest of them are pretty much just guys at this point.  The outside linebackers will be terrific as always, but how does the inside look with the loss of Shazier?  I feel like the defense in PIT is a little like ours in that it could pretty much go either way.  It's by no means without flaws, though.

The Browns are intriguing.  If they can gel and stay healthy on defense, then they'll be a tough unit.  The o-line is decent, but Thomas being gone will sting.  They'll have to move guys around or replace him with a young guy.  Either way, it's going to be a huge downgrade.   The WR corps looks like a nightmare to deal with if somebody can get them the ball.  As always it comes down to the QB, and I'm not sure about Mayfield.  I do think Taylor will be a competent stopgap.  He's as good as anyone they've had up there, but that's not saying a lot.  I'm not afraid of this team until they put something together.  They added a lot of talent, but they've had big free agents and high draft picks before.  A lot.  I'm still skeptical of how it all comes together.  Also, I think they'll regret not drafting Josh Rosen.

I have zero clue what to make of the Bengals.  I don't think it's nuts to think they could have a good year.  They still have a wealth of good, seasoned talent.  They also have a respectable crop of young talent emerging, particularly on defense with the pass-rush and secondary.  I like that.  The offense is another story.  Can a decent young number 2 finally emerge behind AJ?  Will they finally replace the speed they lost when Marvin Jones left?  Was the improved line play an illusion or the new reality last year?  Can the safeties get on the same page on defense?  How will this linebacking corps shape up?  

I honestly have no idea and will be surprised by nothing.  Hopefully they have it together out of the gate unlike last year's disaster.  My worry is that their best player (AJ) is on entering the downside of his career and that Andy will be under major scrutiny if he doesn't produce quickly in the new system.  I feel like the organization made certain changes last year, and that if it doesn't work, then Andy will be next to go.

I'm not so sure Andy will have the short leash some fans seem to think.  I have a hunch Andy will do well, but even if he's utterly horrible there's a feeling the FO is absolutely willing to wait for him to pull it together unless he's really injured and someone else is able to step in to take over and right now I don't see a ready made viable backup although I really would like to see what Woodside can bring to the table even if he's behind Barkley and Driscol in the pecking order of Bengals QBs..  What makes Woodside's career prospects tough at this point in time is Andys undeniable durability. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2018, 02:59 PM)grampahol Wrote: I'm not so sure Andy will have the short leash some fans seem to think.  I have a hunch Andy will do well, but even if he's utterly horrible there's a feeling the FO is absolutely willing to wait for him to pull it together unless he's really injured and someone else is able to step in to take over and right now I don't see a ready made viable backup although I really would like to see what Woodside can bring to the table even if he's behind Barkley and Driscol in the pecking order of Bengals QBs..  What makes Woodside's career prospects tough at this point in time is Andys undeniable durability. 

Yes, and Andy will have his best season this year so it will be a moot point.

4000+ yards and 32+ TD's is what i am predicting after the O-line improvements and Lazor having a full
Offseason to implement his playbook. Dalton and Mixon should both have a huge year.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2018, 08:28 AM)Sled21 Wrote: There are already rumblings in Baltimore to play Jackson, and I think this pressure will get to Flacco. He's trying to become relevant again, and having Jackson pushing him, which for some QB's would be a good thing, will just hamper him....(IMO). While some may say Lamar is not ready, I think he probably is, and I'm pretty sure we are going to struggle to contain him. He's slipperier than most any QB the Bengals have played, and they don't do all that well with it in the first place.

I liked Jackson I think more than anyone on here.....I even wanted the Bengals to draft him...then get their OC by trading up.....back into the bottom of rd #1
I think Jackson is that good....
& I got ripped by most everyone on here.... Smack

but when he plays.....he's going to be unstoppable....
I just doubt he'll start befor game #10 this season....
I bet he makes the pro bowl several times....& will soon be viewed as the #1 best QB in the NFL....
I think the Browns once again picked the WRONG QB.....groundhog day....
poor Charlie Brown-ies
Hilarious another mistake on the lake
Reply/Quote
Happy days are here again! We have just as much chance as everyone else because we are all tied.
Reply/Quote
Lose to the steelers twice.
Beat the browns twice.
Split with the ravens.

That's how we've always matched up in the AFCN.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2018, 06:59 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: They drafted Lamar Jackson, he could be good there.  Bengals tend to have difficulties against running QBs.  Maybe not this year, but next year, the Ravens may go with Jackson.  

To the OP, I think all four teams will have devastating defenses.  I think Big Ben has a little left but not much and Bell doesn't seem happy without new contract.  

I think it will come down to the offenses.  It will come down to how the Bengals' new offensive line plays.  I think Preston Brown at backer will help on defense.  My only concern for the Bengals at this point is the O-line.  
Lamar Jackson will come in for a few 3rd down plays i'm sure....flea flickers, naked bootlegs & such...
if the Ravens offense struggles at all the BOO birds will come out & Jackson could be starting by week 8 to 10 imo….then Flacco will never see the field again....
i'm sure they haven't forgotten about how we knocked them out of the playoffs IN THEIR HOUSE in the last minute of the last game of last year.... Dancing Clapping Smack
week #2, Thursday Night Football in the jungle should be FUN
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2018, 12:14 PM)Beaker Wrote: Lose to the steelers twice.
Beat the browns twice.
Split with the ravens.

That's how we've always matched up in the AFCN.

not this year
I see us sweeping the AFC North....
Reply/Quote
the Ravens just dont impress me on offense.
at WR Brown is the only one who can get behind cb's
Crabtree doesnt command double coverage and Snead was never locked up with the other defenses #1 cb.
Perriman has been a failure.
2 rookie TEs cant provide much impact
their oline has taken some hits. Yanda is a beast and Staley is a up and comer.
but thats it. their oline has more ? than the Bengals oline.
Alex Collins is good. but can he carry a offense?
Flacco cant carry a average supporting cast. age has caught up to.him.
defensively yes they have stalwarts. but lets see how they fare when that defense is on the field more often than not?
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2018, 11:49 PM)impactplaya Wrote: the Ravens just dont impress me on offense.
at WR Brown is the only one who can get behind cb's
Crabtree doesnt command double coverage and Snead was never locked up with the other defenses #1 cb.
Perriman has been a failure.
2 rookie TEs cant provide much impact
their oline has taken some hits. Yanda is a beast and Staley is a up and comer.
but thats it. their oline has more ? than the Bengals oline.
Alex Collins is good. but can he carry a offense?
Flacco cant carry a average supporting cast. age has caught up to.him.
defensively yes they have stalwarts. but lets see how they fare when that defense is on the field more often than not?

All good points, we all know from last year it doesn't matter how good your Defense is if they are on the
field all the time. Losing their stud Center will hurt and overall their Offense does not look promising at all.
Reply/Quote