Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Matchups
I know 2 (not recent) NC OC’s. Both always talked about identifying when you have a matchup advantage. The Bengals aren’t shying away from realizing their advantages on offense. I just don’t see any teams that can stop our group of Burrow Chase,Mixon,Higgins, and Boyd. If Joe has more time I don’t think the national media realizes our firepower. Then you throw in Lou’s multiple schemes I think from a matchup view we are as good as any team. We don’t have the matchup advantage in the trenches but we hold our own there.

Then there’s the coaching matchups. We are getting there. Taylor was 6-0 versus Tomlin, Reid, and Harbaugh last year. The Bengals have everybody’s attention and I’m sure teams focused on them a lot more going into this season if on their schedule.

Let the matchups begin.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Mixon vs. the Steelers run defense = should be a huge day.

I'm curious on how the Steelers passing offensive performs. With Big Ben our CB's could sit on the 5 yard pass as he didn't have the arm to go downfield. With Mitch while he's not a great QB he can stretch the field a bit and run a little.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2022, 11:10 AM)QueenCity Wrote: Mixon vs. the Steelers run defense = should be a huge day.

I'm curious on how the Steelers passing offensive performs. With Big Ben our CB's could sit on the 5 yard pass as he didn't have the arm to go downfield. With Mitch while he's not a great QB he can stretch the field a bit and run a little.

The matchup with the Steelers will center on our DL vs their OL. We’ve got the advantage there for sure so we’ve got to make that happen. If we stop Najee we are going to beat them much better than the spread.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
La'El Collins vs. TJ Watt....
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Wouldn’t be surprised to see them take a shot play or few with Pickens or Claypool vs Apple.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2022, 03:05 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: La'El Collins vs. TJ Watt....

We might find out early if Collins is ready for the AFC edge rushers...i hope so
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2022, 11:10 AM)QueenCity Wrote: Mixon vs. the Steelers run defense = should be a huge day.

Agree. If things go the way we are hoping with the additions we’ve made, Mixon should have a monster year.
Reply/Quote

I'm curious on how the Steelers passing offensive performs. With Big Ben our CB's could sit on the 5 yard pass as he didn't have the arm to go downfield.  With Mitch while he's not a great QB he can stretch the field a bit and run a little.

This is what I see in this matchup. The steelers were the worst team at stopping the run and all the guys we brought in 
are very good run blockers. Mixon hasn't ever had an OL like this. We need to shut down the run game with Najee Harris
and we need to run the ball on them which will take pressure off of both Burrow and our 1 question mark on the OL in 
Volson. He is a decent run blocker, but struggled in pass protection in the Preseason.

This gameplan will help our entire Offense out the most going into this game. Just need to play disciplined.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2022, 11:07 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I know 2 (not recent) NC OC’s. Both always talked about identifying when you have a matchup advantage. The Bengals aren’t shying away from realizing their advantages on offense. I just don’t see any teams that can stop our group of Burrow Chase,Mixon,Higgins, and Boyd. If Joe has more time I don’t think the national media realizes our firepower. Then you throw in Lou’s multiple schemes I think from a matchup view we are as good as any team. We don’t have the matchup advantage in the trenches but we hold our own there.

Then there’s the coaching matchups. We are getting there. Taylor was 6-0 versus Tomlin, Reid, and Harbaugh last year. The Bengals have everybody’s attention and I’m sure teams focused on them a lot more going into this season if on their schedule.

Let the matchups begin.

I agree with most of this. 

The only thing i'll add is that everyone needs to remember that there are professional athletes on the other side of the line who want to win. Sometimes the wind blows the ball a little funny and it ends up in a defenders hands or it only takes one guy on the line to miss a block to give up a sack/strip and the game is changed. 

I only say that because anytime i see someone say "i don't see how anyone can stop..." it makes me cringe. I've been watching professional football for about 45 years and i've only seen a handful of times where a team went through a season and they looked "unstoppable". 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2022, 05:26 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I agree with most of this. 

The only thing i'll add is that everyone needs to remember that there are professional athletes on the other side of the line who want to win. Sometimes the wind blows the ball a little funny and it ends up in a defenders hands or it only takes one guy on the line to miss a block to give up a sack/strip and the game is changed. 

I only say that because anytime i see someone say "i don't see how anyone can stop..." it makes me cringe. I've been watching professional football for about 45 years and i've only seen a handful of times where a team went through a season and they looked "unstoppable". 

Plus they have TJ Watt who is one of the best pass rushers in the NFL, anything can happen. 

But this also why we should run it right at him with La'el abusing him in the run game. Excited about this to say the least.

La'el can be a beast in the run game. Sure would be badazz to see him knock TJ Twatt on his backside a few times. 
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2022, 05:19 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: The steelers were the worst team at stopping the run and all the guys we brought in are very good run blockers.

Aren't you concerned about what their new DC might drop on us?
Reply/Quote

Yea the Cleveland game last year is a good example. Just about every wrong thing that could happen to the Bengals did.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
I expect to see alot of cover 2 vs the Bengals early so the short game and run game will be very important. The Steelers signed Ogunjobi to replace the injured now retired Stephon Tuitt. The Bengals likely need to move the ball methodically because they Steelers will be looking to stop the big plays from Chase and Tee on the sidelines. That is something they struggled eith in 2021 because of their poor 3rd and short conversion rate.

On Defense first stop Najee Harris and the run game. The Bengals are built to stop the run but it will be game one and the first team didnt get any pre-season reps so theres a possibility tackling could be an issue. The Bengals backend needs to play disciplined because we will probably see heavy playaction off the Steelers run game. Expect to see alot of cover 3 vs the Steelers 12 personnel.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-05-2022, 05:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Aren't you concerned about what their new DC might drop on us?

Not really, if they can't stop the run it won't matter.

Go ahead and blitz when Burrow is passing, he feasts on that stuff.

(09-05-2022, 05:43 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Yea the Cleveland game last year is a good example. Just about every wrong thing that could happen to the Bengals did.

For sure, crazy how many bad things happened to us and how many great things happened to them in that game.
Reply/Quote

This is so true. A former college coach told me one time that the guys across the sidelines can coach too. He said don’t pretend they can’t. Same is true on players. But my point is that finally we have the matchup advantage in a lot of areas.

Reply/Quote
The Steelers O-line is absolute shit, so I expect Hubbard and Hendrickson to have good days. I wouldn’t be surprised to see 5+ sacks from the Bengals. I also wouldn’t be surprised to see this from the Steelers, because their D-Line is their biggest strength.

Burrow and the WRs have a good matchup too. The Steelers secondary is decent, but only because the safeties are really good. Their CBs are pretty below average.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote

I'm curious on how the Steelers passing offensive performs. With Big Ben our CB's could sit on the 5 yard pass as he didn't have the arm to go downfield.  With Mitch while he's not a great QB he can stretch the field a bit and run a little.

Our DB's held up against Mahomes, I think they can handle Trubisky with ease. 
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2022, 05:33 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote:
Plus they have TJ Watt who is one of the best pass rushers in the NFL, anything can happen. 

But this also why we should run it right at him with La'el abusing him in the run game.
Excited about this to say the least.

La'el can be a beast in the run game. Sure would be badazz to see him knock TJ Twatt on his backside a few times. 

This! After what that POS tried to pull on Burrow last season, I hope Callahan goes right at him on every play. Starting from the first snap, bring in Carman as an extra lineman on the right side, let Carman and Collins hit Watt on every play and let Mixon run it right at him, and let them just pummel Watt until he's puking on the field and has to carted off the field
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2022, 05:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Aren't you concerned about what their new DC might drop on us?

Teryl Austin....the guy who was so bad Marvin had to just take over the Defense?
Surely, neglecting the  Ninja,  was pure oversight... Tongue
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2022, 11:07 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote:  I just don’t see any teams that can stop our group of Burrow Chase,Mixon,Higgins, and Boyd. If Joe has more time I don’t think the national media realizes our firepower. 

I mean pretty much every ranking has our weapons has the #1 or #2 bwst offensive skill players in the league. I think the worry is still not having seen the OL play yet, not yet knowing how teams will adjust to trying to take away the deep ball and how we will handle it, and only having proven it for 1 year.

I mean our offense was pretty mediocre in the playoffs. Obviously a lot of that was because of the OL but who knows how good it's actually going to be with 4 new starting pieces that have never really played together. 
Reply/Quote