Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Matchups
(09-06-2022, 08:35 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Our DB's held up against Mahomes, I think they can handle Trubisky with ease. 

We didn't really "hold up" that well though. Twice we gave up 24pts in a half and then adjusted and held up (moreso on playing against Mahomes tendencies coupled with improved play). KC averaged 27.5 points.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2022, 10:21 AM)TheFan Wrote: We didn't really "hold up" that well though. Twice we gave up 24pts in a half and then adjusted and held up (moreso on playing against Mahomes tendencies coupled with improved play). KC averaged 27.5 points.

We just spotted them points in the first half of each game to make it interesting.  Wink
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2022, 03:13 PM)Dr.Z Wrote: Wouldn’t be surprised to see them take a shot play or few with Pickens or Claypool vs Apple.

Im sure we will give them the opportunity. We must shut down their run game and the nonstop dink and dunk they did all preseason. Make Mitch beat us deep.

Reply/Quote
(09-06-2022, 08:47 AM)Sled21 Wrote: This! After what that POS tried to pull on Burrow last season, I hope Callahan goes right at him on every play. Starting from the first snap, bring in Carman as an extra lineman on the right side, let Carman and Collins hit Watt on every play and let Mixon run it right at him, and let them just pummel Watt until he's puking on the field and has to carted off the field

I like this gameplan!!! Smirk
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2022, 03:17 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: We might find out early if Collins is ready for the AFC edge rushers...i hope so

I think an in-game shape Collings that has practiced a lot with his team would absolutely be ready.  The current version of him worries me, but maybe he is just a vet that knows that much more than a guy like Prince and his size and strength will open up the run game even more than Reiff did a year ago.  Especially with Cappa next to him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2022, 10:10 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I think an in-game shape Collings that has practiced a lot with his team would absolutely be ready.  The current version of him worries me, but maybe he is just a vet that knows that much more than a guy like Prince and his size and strength will open up the run game even more than Reiff did a year ago.  Especially with Cappa next to him.

Yep, good point.  Thing is, even with a less than 100% LC there wont be any free runners t Joe - it is brain-numbing how many times Prince, Adeniji, Hopkins and Spain totally wiffed, and the defender was going full speed at Burrow.

Reply/Quote
I think Bengal fans might be a little disappointed this weekend because we all want to see 500 yards passing from Joe to all these amazing receivers...BUT...Our best matchup against the Steelers (in my view) is Mixon against the Steeler run defense. The Steelers are likely going to be average against a good runner no matter how you look at them. And, if these new line studs are everything we hope they are they should be able to create plenty of holes for Mixon. SO, I think it might be a running game for us in the first half, and if it's working maybe the whole game.

If I was betting I would load up on Mixon OVER his total yards. He might get 25+ carries if he stays healthy the whole game. It seems to me Zac would be better off focusing on that rather than seeing if the new O line can hold off pass rushers, especially when we match up so well on the ground.

Burrow is a priceless commodity, and my hunch is they are NOT drawing up a lot of extended plays no matter how promising the new line may be. I see reasonably quick outs to Chase and Tee and them using their running ability as the likely emphasis on the passing side. Watch for up to a half-dozen shorties to the tight end as well. Plus, Mixon is a very reliable receiver on those short passes and he transitions to full running mode as fast as anyone in the NFL. Joe will fake a handoff and then flip it out to him at least a couple times.

So, my feeling is Mixon OVER total yards and maybe rush attempts. I would probably go UNDER for the game total.

It might not be sexy, but unless we somehow go down two scores, expect a ground-grinder this weekend...
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2022, 10:50 AM)BengalSteve13 Wrote: I think Bengal fans might be a little disappointed this weekend because we all want to see 500 yards passing from Joe to all these amazing receivers...BUT...Our best matchup against the Steelers (in my view) is Mixon against the Steeler run defense.  The Steelers are likely going to be average against a good runner no matter how you look at them.  And, if these new line studs are everything we hope they are they should be able to create plenty of holes for Mixon.  SO, I think it might be a running game for us in the first half, and if it's working maybe the whole game.  

If I was betting I would load up on Mixon OVER his total yards.  He might get 25+ carries if he stays healthy the whole game.    It seems to me Zac would be better off focusing on that rather than seeing if the new O line can hold off pass rushers, especially when we match up so well on the ground.

Burrow is a priceless commodity, and my hunch is they are NOT drawing up a lot of extended plays no matter how promising the new line may be.  I see reasonably quick outs to Chase and Tee and them using their running ability as the likely emphasis on the passing side.  Watch for up to a half-dozen shorties to the tight end as well.  Plus, Mixon is a very reliable receiver on those short passes and he transitions to full running mode as fast as anyone in the NFL.  Joe will fake a handoff and then flip it out to him at least a couple times.

So, my feeling is Mixon OVER total yards and maybe rush attempts.  I would probably go UNDER for the game total.  

It might not be sexy, but unless we somehow go down two scores, expect a ground-grinder this weekend...

Nice post BengalSteve. Agree completely, it might not be sexy to the dudes that just want Burrow going all air raid on them 
but it SHOULD get the job done and we need to go old school at times and just out physical teams. This is the perfect Defense 
to do it against and if we do it well and abuse them in the run game it will really make me smile.

Hate the Stealers so bad, beat these bastids into submission and then just keep our feet on their throats.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2022, 01:42 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Im sure we will give them the opportunity. We must shut down their run game and the nonstop dink and dunk they did all preseason. Make Mitch beat us deep.

Agree.   I do expect them to check down to the rb a bit less, and I also think their qb situation is  better (which admittedly isn't saying much coming from '21 Ben).  There should also be opportunities to get to Mitch if this is ultimately the case.   
Reply/Quote