Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Math question!
What's the answer? 

60 / 5 (7-5)=  

I see two answers.  24 and 6.  For you teachers out there, how are you teaching this equation these days?
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
From the way you wrote it down, it's impossible to tell if the (7-5) part is part of the denominator or a separate part of the equation.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2017, 01:10 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: What's the answer? 

60 / 5 (7-5)=  

Simplify the parentheses. So you now have 60 / 5 x 2. It then goes left to right as it's just multiplication and division. So 60/5 is 12. 12 x 2 is 24.

24 is your answer.

If this is meant to be      60                then it's 6. But that's ONLY if it got lost in translation while typing. 
                                 _______
                                   5 (7-5)
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
If the Question is 60 / (5(7-2)) the only answer is 6 as it becomes 60/ 5(2) or 60/10

If that's not what you ment and you ment to multiple 60/5ths by (7-5) then its 12 x 2 = 24 but you have to properly present the question as (60/5)(7-5)
Reply/Quote
this just came across my facebook feed this morning. I typed it down just as I saw it on Facebook.  Its getting a lot of comments, both good and bad.  The bad is mainly folks who are criticizing Common Core and how its changing how to do math in school these days. 

I thought it could be an interesting topic here is all. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2017, 02:15 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Simplify the parentheses. So you now have 60 / 5 x 2. It then goes left to right as it's just multiplication and division. So 60/5 is 12. 12 x 2 is 24.

24 is your answer.

If this is meant to be      60                then it's 6. But that's ONLY if it got lost in translation while typing. 
                                 _______
                                   5 (7-5)

I agree with your first answer.  For the second answer to be correct, there would have to have been additional parenthesis around the 5 and (7-5).  Or 60/(5(7-5))

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2017, 02:48 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: this just came across my facebook feed this morning. I typed it down just as I saw it on Facebook.  Its getting a lot of comments, both good and bad.  The bad is mainly folks who are criticizing Common Core and how its changing how to do math in school these days. 

I thought it could be an interesting topic here is all. 
Common core makes sense to me when described by people who teach math.

It's just teaching how to think about math. If you've ever met someone who can do mental arithmetic quickly, chances are they use one or more of the common core methods in their mind (whether they realize it or not).
Reply/Quote
As for the the problem itself, I agree that its just ambiguously written (and therefor poorly written). This is due to the fact that math (including arithmetic) is meant to be written in such a way that its meaning is explicitly clear to anyone who understands the symbolic notation it contains.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2017, 03:37 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I agree with your first answer.  For the second answer to be correct, there would have to have been additional parenthesis around the 5 and (7-5).  Or 60/(5(7-5))

If it was written as a large fraction, there's no need for parentheses, but if you were to translate it out as one line, 60/(5(7-5)) would be how it was written.

Of course, that's only an IF, the right answer is what we both said, 24. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I don't see a fraction in the original equation.

60 / 5 is not a fraction.
60/5 is a fraction.

But why is there a space between the "5" and the parentheses portion?
Reply/Quote
I don’t think starting a new thread would be proper for my question, so I’ll piggyback off this one: what is the distance of 5000 square feet? Researching routers, I picture a square. The center of that square would be the router. So with 5000 sq ft, what would be the distance from center to edge (not corner)?

Reply/Quote
(08-13-2022, 04:44 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I don’t think starting a new thread would be proper for my question, so I’ll piggyback off this one: what is the distance of 5000 square feet? Researching routers, I picture a square. The center of that square would be the router. So with 5000 sq ft, what would be the distance from center to edge (not corner)?

Distance from center to edge not corner would be square root of 5000 divided by 2

(√5000) ÷ 2
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2022, 06:48 PM)treee Wrote: Distance from center to edge not corner would be square root of 5000 divided by 2

(√5000) ÷ 2

It would be just over 35ft? Damn, not very much distance for a router. My mancave is 110 ft from my router, but to have internet access throughout, I would have to have straight line distance of 125ft. I somewhat suck at math so I’m probably not thinking it right.

Reply/Quote
(08-13-2022, 10:27 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: It would be just over 35ft? Damn, not very much distance for a router. My mancave is 110 ft from my router, but to have internet access throughout, I would have to have straight line distance of 125ft. I somewhat suck at math so I’m probably not thinking it right.

35 feet is a long way for my router.. Then again my router is primarily used for cutting wood edges.  
OH! The OTHER kind of router!  Never mind..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2017, 02:15 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Simplify the parentheses. So you now have 60 / 5 x 2. It then goes left to right as it's just multiplication and division. So 60/5 is 12. 12 x 2 is 24.

24 is your answer.

_______
                                   5 (7-5)
I have it as 60/5=12  times  7-2=5
12x5=60
Then again my ability to teach math is right up there with me teaching child birth to wild bull elephants.. lol

Dammit..I just peaked at the original post..It was 7-5=2... 24 it is..  *numbers..people who like them should be culled from the general public..not that I think any of you should be shot at sunrise or anything like that. A slow painful poisoning would do just fine.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2022, 04:44 PM)HarleyDog Wrote:  I picture a square. 

It is a circle.

Square root of 5000/π

About 40 feet.

So if you put the router halfway between the house and the mancave it will cover 80 feet.
Reply/Quote
I saw this on a chalkboard where I work as a janitor.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
True
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-24-2022, 10:35 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I saw this on a chalkboard where I work as a janitor.

Sounds like a plot to a movie
Reply/Quote