Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Matt Barkley, Dalton’s New Backup
I guess Bruce Gradkowski wasn’t available ?
Reply/Quote
Thinking about Arnie Barkley ain't this just the catchiest tune since the sound of bread going stale? 
 https://youtu.be/Jn2IWPKsY34
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
This is one of those signings we hope is a camp competition one. Because there are still a few free agent qbs that have better upside if they have to play than Barkley does.

But I would still rather have him over Kaep as there is only so much of the Bengal circus my sanity can take.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2018, 12:38 PM)Millhouse Wrote: But I would still rather have him over Kaep as there is only so much of the Bengal circus my sanity can take.

Good Lord. If we would have signed Kaep, I would have been institutionalized. 

Reply/Quote
Welcome to the "Kneel-Free Zone", a quasi-political slant that does NOT belong in Jungle Noise. Thank you for staying on topic from here on out.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2018, 06:19 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Welcome to the "Kneel-Free Zone", a quasi-political slant that does NOT belong in Jungle Noise. Thank you for staying on topic from here on out.

No politics, what are you talkin about my friend? Mellow
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2018, 06:33 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: No politics, what are you talkin about my friend? Mellow

Talk of Anthems, protests, kneeling and a certain QB always turns into heated political discussion. We've been down this road so many times, so we know what's coming. I believe Wildcats was just offering a friendly warning to ixnay on the kneel talk-ay. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Can't wait till half ya'll start a quasi-religion around the guy after he completes a pass in the preseason LOL
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2018, 02:27 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Good Lord. If we would have signed Kaep, I would have been institutionalized. 

If we're talking purely skills here, Kaepernick is the most talented UFA QB left in FA.   Unless I missed it all the big names have signed.  Barkley is a straight bum with no upside.  Colin checks a lot of Mike Brown boxes too.  Former high draft pick.  Check.  Very athletic.  Check.  Available for discounted price.  Double check.  And Mike is just stubborn enough to be the only owner that would sign him. 
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2018, 06:17 AM)Lawless_1 Wrote: [Image: Turrible%2Bjust%2Bturrible.jpg]
I'd sooner have Charles than Matt........
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2018, 01:51 AM)t3r3e3 Wrote: If we're talking purely skills here, Kaepernick is the most talented UFA QB left in FA.   Unless I missed it all the big names have signed.  Barkley is a straight bum with no upside.  Colin checks a lot of Mike Brown boxes too.  Former high draft pick.  Check.  Very athletic.  Check.  Available for discounted price.  Double check.  And Mike is just stubborn enough to be the only owner that would sign him. 

That's the past. CK is underweight since his girlfriend to him he had to be a vegan, his arm is dead, and he is not an NFL quality QB anymore. If he was, he would have been signed...all the rest is just noise...
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2018, 12:37 PM)Sled21 Wrote: That's the past. .CK is underweight since his girlfriend to him he had to be a vegan, his arm is dead, and he is not an NFL quality QB anymore If he was, he would have been signed...all the rest is just noise...

Proof?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Kaep looked fine in the qb video workout posted on him. That's all I'll say about that.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2018, 12:37 PM)Sled21 Wrote: That's the past. CK is underweight since his girlfriend to him he had to be a vegan, his arm is dead, and he is not an NFL quality QB anymore. If he was, he would have been signed...all the rest is just noise...

After becoming a vegan he posted a 90.7 passer rating (with 16 tds and only 4 ints) on a team with one of the weakest receiving corps in the league.  Blaine Gabbert posted only a 68 passer rating playing with the same team that year, yet he still has a job in the NFL.

I am trying very hard to keep away from the national anthem controversy.  I am not taking a position on the issue.  All I am doing is pointing out how it has effected the free agent market for Kaepernick.  It is clear he is getting blackballed for political reasons.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2018, 01:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: After becoming a vegan he posted a 90.7 passer rating (with 16 tds and only 4 ints) on a team with one of the weakest receiving corps in the league.  Blaine Gabbert posted only a 68 passer rating playing with the same team that year, yet he still has a job in the NFL.

I am trying very hard to keep away from the national anthem controversy.  I am not taking a position on the issue.  All I am doing is pointing out how it has effected the free agent market for Kaepernick.  It is clear he is getting blackballed for political reasons.

Talking about him strictly as a player is fine. Anything about the anthem will eventually lead this thread to PnR.

As a player, I read that Kaep's 90.7 rating was a bit deceptive. His former QB coach (Steve Logan) said as much:

Quote:"His tape last year (2016) was not good in the pocket,” said Logan. "You’ve got to take in the score of the game in which the performance was taking place. This is Blake Bortles. Blake Bortles was putting up some good numbers a year and a half ago but when you peel the onion back and you find out they’re down three touchdowns. and he’s dealing the ball around and it looks great, it’s all against Cover 2, stone cold zone. This matters."

https://247sports.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/Bolt/Ex-49ers-Coach-Kaepernicks-unemployment-is-football-related-106773248

From the same interview:

Quote:"[Kaepernick's unemployment] has everything to do with his ability to play in the pocket," said Logan. "Wherever he goes there will have to be a massive re-design of the entire offense to suit his skill-set, which is unique. But I’m just telling you why he’s not on a roster. It has everything to do with his ability to play in the pocket. And be really good in the pocket. Because the game has taken away his calling card, which is the zone-read."

"Defensive coordinators in the NFL will not let you beat them with that football play. You can irritate them with that football play but you cannot beat them with that football play anymore.”
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2018, 03:21 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Talking about him strictly as a player is fine. Anything about the anthem will eventually lead this thread to PnR.

As a player, I read that Kaep's 90.7 rating was a bit deceptive. His former QB coach (Steve Logan) said as much:

https://247sports.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/Bolt/Ex-49ers-Coach-Kaepernicks-unemployment-is-football-related-106773248

From the same interview:

"[Kaepernick's unemployment] has everything to do with his ability to play in the pocket," said Logan. "Wherever he goes there will have to be a massive re-design of the entire offense to suit his skill-set, which is unique. But I’m just telling you why he’s not on a roster. It has everything to do with his ability to play in the pocket. And be really good in the pocket. Because the game has taken away his calling card, which is the zone-read."

"Defensive coordinators in the NFL will not let you beat them with that football play. You can irritate them with that football play but you cannot beat them with that football play anymore.”

Yeah, right.  It would be impossible for any team to win a big game using a lot of "run/pass option" scheme. 

Ninja

Especially not a Super Bowl.

Ninja

I realize that there is a difference between a "zone read" and a "run/pass option" but the "run/pass option" does not require the QB to stand in the pocket and go through a complex progression of multiple routes all over the field.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2018, 11:42 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Just saw on Twitter that Matt Barkley is signing a 2-year deal to back up Andy Dalton.
https://twitter.com/geoffhobsoncin/status/975017927861612545?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take QB off the draft lists.  Bengals say they are very happy with Dalton, Barkley, Driskel in place with McCarron gone. Bringing in Barkley who Lasor wanted sets the draft up for other needs positions. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2018, 03:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yeah, right.  It would be impossible for any team to win a big game using a lot of "run/pass option" scheme. 

Ninja

Especially not a Super Bowl.

Ninja

I realize that there is a difference between a "zone read" and a "run/pass option" but the "run/pass option" does not require the QB to stand in the pocket and go through a complex progression of multiple routes all over the field.

Well you're right that they're not the same. 

I'd also add that what happened with Foles is not sustainable and that's why you don't see any trade offers for the reigning SB MVP. 

If coaches thought it was sustainable, they'd be banging down the door for Foles. 
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2018, 03:39 PM)kevin Wrote: Bengals say they are very happy with Dalton, Barkley, Driskel in place

Happiness is a journey not a destination.
Reply/Quote
Im fine with this. He's a veteran with starting experience. If we lose Andy were pretty much screwed anyway, I honestly don't know why people thought AJ was going to come in and set the world on fire or anything.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote