Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Maualuga Released
(03-25-2017, 06:16 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Good news, thought it would happen after the Minter signing.

Rey was a good run stopper in his time, wish him the best.

I was pushing for Mangold but that might be the wrong move.

If we bring in Mangold we might not draft a Center. We need to draft a Center.

Good run stopper would be generous imo

He was very good at getting to the point where he was in place for the tackle.

Was not good at all at finishing. But mathematically since he got there so much he made enough of those tackles to make him look good and stick around for what close to a freaking decade?

Michael Johnson would be one of the best rotation DEs in the league if he didn't suffer from the same sickness. Michael used to get to the QB ALOT but could never get the sack
Reply/Quote
OK now they get a D in free agency instead of an F-
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2017, 06:34 PM)Housh Wrote: Good run stopper would be generous imo

He was very good at getting to the point where he was in place for the tackle.

Was not good at all at finishing. But mathematically since he got there so much he made enough of those tackles to make him look good and stick around for what close to a freaking decade?

Michael Johnson would be one of the rotation DEs in the league if he didn't suffer from the same sickness. Michael used to get to the QB ALOT but could never get the sack

Yeah...Maulauga was a slow, powerful, run-stopping linebacker in a game that required fast linebackers who could cover passes.

Minter is a HUGE upgrade. IF we add Foster too...our LB's would be insanely good.
Reply/Quote
Thanks for your service Rey and luck wherever you go. By all accounts he was good to the fans and community.

I see the raiders in his future.
Reply/Quote
I thought we had a real beast when we drafted him. I'll always wonder if alcoholism got in the way of that.

And short arms.

So long Rey.

Reply/Quote
(03-25-2017, 05:19 PM)JumboTron Wrote: Excellent move. All the best to Rey, wherever he may land.

Absolutely. He'll make some young linebacker an excellent mentor somewhere.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2017, 07:29 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah...Maulauga was a slow, powerful, run-stopping linebacker in a game that required fast linebackers who could cover passes.

Minter is a HUGE upgrade. IF we add Foster too...our LB's would be insanely good.
I would not be upset with that move.

Of course the O-line is the biggest point of concern, but if they're gonna ignore that...  they might as well beef up the D !
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Time to use that nice little chunk of extra cap space to...oh wait...that's right...
Reply/Quote
I hope the best for him. He was a good guy and always had time for the fans. But with that said I'm glad the picked up minter. He'll be a beast with burfict.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
whoo hoo, first Peko signs elsewhere and now Maulauga gone.....oh happy days !!
Reply/Quote
Ill be honest he needed to be cut, he got worse year by year, they used him sparingly last season. The writing was on the all when we signed Minter, but I didn't really believe they would cut Rey because of Mike Browns strict "honor the contract" policy.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2017, 07:40 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Thanks for your service Rey and luck wherever you go.  By all accounts he was good to the fans and community.

I see the raiders in his future.

That he most definitely was. When you and I went to TC in 2013 (?), Rey hung around signing longer than most. He and Peko were great in that regard. I wish him nothing but the best wherever he lands.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2017, 05:41 PM)Ricky Spanish Wrote: Good now take that money and sign Mangold

I agree, but suspect they used it for Minter.
Reply/Quote
Well, Peko and Maualuga are gone. Hope you're all happy now. Bitching and whining should decrease about 50%, me thinks.
[Image: forumpic2.jpg]
When I die, I will get to shake Mr. Paul Browns hand and hear him say "Damn, you never stopped believing, did you?"
Reply/Quote
I'm honest. I've had a long history on these boards wishing that Rey would get replaced by someone faster who doesn't miss tackles. I really wanted us to take him in Round One, and was stoked when we got him in round 2. He proved to be a bit of a disappointment. Didn't think it would take this long, and I didnt see Minter coming. I had my hopes up early for Foster. But it's done. Good luck, Rey.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
Been waiting for years for this news. 
I dont forget him getting into trouble with girls under the drinking age.
i dont forget him being at Putters in Milford being an asshole to everyone.

I always knew why he was overweight all the time

[Image: XpChdb3.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2017, 04:57 PM)treee Wrote: Rey M was part of one of the best defenses in the past decade under Zim, so give him props where it's due. That said this is the right move and I hope he catches on somewhere if he still has some gas in the tank.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

He was the weak link in Zim's defense. Unfortunately it never was realized until too late. Teams figured this out and ran passes to the TE and destroyed our defense. Rey will be having nightmares from Owen Daniels for the rest of his life. His pursuit was atrocious he was always lost in coverage and if running backs didn't hit the hole he was crashing then he was non-existent. Glad he's gone. For the record I was one of the people excited that he fell to us in the second round but he just never got it.
Reply/Quote
Almost made me think you figured it out Marvin. You proved capable of moving on from some veterans. But clinging to Peerman Winston and Gilberry still shows the true colors.
Reply/Quote
Rey was about 15-20 years late. In the old smash mouth days he would have been a NFL god.

Other than Burfict who was an undrafted free agent gift. The never lived up to expectations Maualuga was Marvins best homegrown Bengal LB.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2017, 04:35 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Many will be happy over this. Neutral myself.

He did toss me a football after the Bengals beat the steelers in his rookie year.

I get it, Cards... He was one of those "larger than life" guys that kids loved because of his size, tatoos, hair, etc.  He even had a minor role in a pretty cool movie (Million Dollar Arm).

I think Rey had the misfortune of being born in an era where LBs had to cover speedy backs and TEs, instead of, say, the 70s where hard-hitting MLBs stopped three yards and a cloud of dust at less than three yards.  He was a hitter, in short spaces.  

Not a bad guy at all, but it was his time to go.  I am very grateful that the Bengals broke tradition and released him to save significant dollars.  Now, if they would just release Jones.  
Reply/Quote