Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HC
Just curious but, can anyone tell me who was a defensive coordinator in the NFL that became a "good HC"? I seem to think that most of the good coaches were offensive coordinaters.
Reply/Quote
Zimmer is doing pretty well so far.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
There's that guy that's pretty good out in New England. Some might say he's the best coach ever even.

Jeff Fisher comes to mind. Pete Carroll has had some good success. Those are the ones off the top of my head.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2017, 02:47 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: There's that guy that's pretty good out in New England. Some might say he's the best coach ever even.

That is the first example I thought of for reasons why the OP is right.  That guy is so awful.

Even worse, the biggest divisional foe of the Bengals (don't let the name fool you, I am a Bengal fan).  The Steelers are on their third consecutive former defensive coach (Noll, Cowher, Tomlin).  Those six superbowl rings are definitely a sign of under-performance.

A few more examples of how bad a team is destined to be just by using a defensive coach as HC that come to mind - Jimmy Johnson, Seifert (I think that is the spelling, San Fran?) and oh, don't forget that Bill Parcells guy.  If I felt like investing the effort I might go look up more of those awful head coaches that came from defensive backgounds.

Not all teams can be lucky enough to find an offensive man to turn their teams into immediate dynasties since everyone wants to snap up a guy like Hue Jackson and Jay Gruden so fast.  Man, I am looking forward to that Browns - Redskins superbowl this year.
Reply/Quote
So this did get me thinking, and here's how it breaks down for the last 10 coaches that participated in the Superbowl:

Defensive Coordinators:.Belichick (Won 2x) Ron Rivera (Lost) Pete Carroll (Won 1, Lost 1), Dan Quinn (Inexplicably Lost 1) John Fox (Lost 1)

Offensive Coordinator: Gary Kubiak. But if you think Gary Kubiak/Denver's Offense had anything to do with that victory, your posting privileges should be rescinded.

Special teams coordinator (?): John Harbaugh (Won 1)

QB/College coach: Jim Harbaugh (Lost 1)

To be fair, if you keep going there were a few years where you had offensive coaches like Sean Payton, Mike McCarthy, Ken Wisenhunt, Tom Coughlin (although if you think it was the Giant's offensive prowess that won those games your posting privileges should be similarly rescinded.)
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2017, 01:56 PM)firstand10 Wrote: Just curious but, can anyone tell me who was a defensive coordinator in the NFL that became a "good HC"? I seem to think that most of the good coaches were offensive coordinaters.

Mike Tomlin.  He was the Minnesota DC when hired by the Steelers.
Reply/Quote