Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maybe Winston needs to zip it~
And realize he's no leader on this team and it's him that has a long way to go to make this team. Plenty of players start "day 1" on the oline and do fine. Was this a shot at Fishers struggles? Why is he even worried about our expectations of anyone else but him? To me this came across as an unnecessary shot. Just say the kid has talent and leave it at that. You know he won't start so why the extended analysis?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/29/eric-winston-dont-expect-too-much-from-jake-fisher-too-soon/
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I don't see anything negative about it, he's just tempering our (fans) expectations for the first year and trying to ease the pressure off of Jake.
He's also right, with our Oline, it's going to be hard for Jake to step in and take a spot away from someone.

It's just another typical Vet telling the Pup to learn and not get frustrated if you're not the starter right away, you have to earn it at this level.
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2015, 08:51 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I don't see anything negative about it, he's just tempering our (fans) expectations for the first year and trying to ease the pressure off of Jake.
He's also right, with our Oline, it's going to be hard for Jake to step in and take a spot away from someone.

It's just another typical Vet telling the Pup to learn and not get frustrated if you're not the starter right away, you have to earn it at this level.

I agree I did not see anything negative in what Winston stated. I think his statements where dead on and completely factual in that it seems sometimes fans expect more from players than they should in a players first year.
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2015, 06:06 AM)OSUfan Wrote: I agree I did not see anything negative in what Winston stated. I think his statements where dead on and completely factual in that it seems sometimes fans expect more from players than they should in a players first year.

Agree. He's absolutely right.  
Reply/Quote
Whats wrong with what he said? I agree with Eric, we shouldn't expect a rookie to come out and get 40 snaps a game. Its for the most part always been this way.
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2015, 06:06 AM)OSUfan Wrote: I agree I did not see anything negative in what Winston stated. I think his statements where dead on and completely factual in that it seems sometimes fans expect more from players than they should in a players first year.

Good point, OSU. I agree 100%  fans seem to think that every one drafted, should come in and automatically make starting squad. Given some do, but most have to learn behind veterans.  Rock On
Thanks ExtraRadiohead for the great sig

[Image: SE-KY-Bengal-Sig.png]
Reply/Quote
Winston did not just tell the pup, he told the press. How does that build team chemistry ?
While what he said maybe true, why does it have to leave the locker room ?
Reply/Quote
Its not over the top negative but its not necessary either.

I don't think you heard Pac, Leon and Newman saying Dennard would struggle to play the year he was drafted even if it was true.

All Winston needed to say is "We have a strong offensive line group, and he will have to work hard for a spot on this line." (What the CB's did last year)

Instead he says “He’s going to go through a lot of growing pains,” To anoint him or think he’s going to be able to step in Day 1 and be able to do it, hell, I can’t do that."
 (CB's never said anything quite like that about Dennard)

Essentially, I see Winston worried about his job security.
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2015, 10:13 AM)Sabretooth Wrote: Winston did not just tell the pup, he told the press. How does that build team chemistry ?

Some players are sensitive to what the fans think about them.  Maybe Winston was just protecting the rookies from the dumb fans who will be squealing about them being "busts" if they don't play at a high level their first year.
Reply/Quote
The only issue I had with Winston's comments is when he stated when talking about coming in and no struggling "Hell, I can't even do that". He put himself above the Rookie. Hopefully he was giving more credit to his experience than skill
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(06-30-2015, 03:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The only issue I had with Winston's comments is when he stated when talking about coming in and no struggling "Hell, I can't even do that". He put himself above the Rookie. Hopefully he was giving more credit to his experience than skill

That is not what was said...

Here is the exact quote:
“He’s going to go through a lot of growing pains,” Winston said, via ESPN.com. “To anoint him or think he’s going to be able to step in Day 1 and be able to do it, hell, I can’t do that."

He's saying that he can't anoint Fisher or think he's going to be able to step in Day 1. Not saying that he (Winston) was putting himself above the rookie.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-30-2015, 03:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The only issue I had with Winston's comments is when he stated when talking about coming in and no struggling "Hell, I can't even do that". He put himself above the Rookie. Hopefully he was giving more credit to his experience than skill

In fairness Winston was an exceptional OT in the NFL for many years. He has earned his place a rookie as of yet has not so I see nothing at all wrong with the comments that Winston made. I think there is more being read into the comments then there actually was to them.
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2015, 11:26 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Its not over the top negative but its not necessary either.

I don't think you heard Pac, Leon and Newman saying Dennard would struggle to play the year he was drafted even if it was true.

All Winston needed to say is "We have a strong offensive line group, and he will have to work hard for a spot on this line." (What the CB's did last year)

Instead he says “He’s going to go through a lot of growing pains,” To anoint him or think he’s going to be able to step in Day 1 and be able to do it, hell, I can’t do that."

A great example or more being read into the comments than there was. It is getting to the point where no athlete can say anything at all without people trying to over-analyze ever single comment.

In a nutshell he stated the kid is just a rookie so fans should not expect him to be an All-Pro right out of the gate. Nothing more to it than that.
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2015, 10:13 AM)Sabretooth Wrote: Winston did not just tell the pup, he told the press. How does that build team chemistry ?

Because he was being interviewed and there was absolutely nothing at all wrong with the comments that he made. It is nothing more than the need of many to have controversy in everything and when there is not they must create it themselves.
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2015, 04:03 PM)OSUfan Wrote:  It is nothing more than the need of many to have controversy in everything and when there is not they must create it themselves.

Exactly.  If he had said the rookies could earn a starting spot right away some people would be bashing him for "throwing Whitworth under the bus."

No matter what any player or coach says (or sometimes does NOT say) someone will get upset over it.
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2015, 04:00 PM)OSUfan Wrote: A great example or more being read into the comments than there was. It is getting to the point where no athlete can say anything at all without people trying to over-analyze ever single comment.

In a nutshell he stated the kid is just a rookie so fans should not expect him to be an All-Pro right out of the gate. Nothing more to it than that.

Were you referring to my response as an overreaction? Funny because his comments didn't even bother me. lol

That's just American society today though. You say anything and it will be misconstrued and stretched to mean something you never meant.
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2015, 11:26 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Its not over the top negative but its not necessary either.

(06-30-2015, 07:39 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Were you referring to my response as an overreaction? Funny because his comments didn't even bother me. lol

That's just American society today though. You say anything and it will be misconstrued and stretched to mean something you never meant.

Stating that Winston is concerned about his job because of his comments? I see this as trying to create a story where there is not one. That is unless of course you have some insider information that provides you insight into the thoughts of Winston.
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2015, 04:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Exactly.  If he had said the rookies could earn a starting spot right away some people would be bashing him for "throwing Whitworth under the bus."

No matter what any player or coach says (or sometimes does NOT say) someone will get upset over it.

Did anyone say anything along those lines when Marvin Lewis praised Darqueze Dennard that he was the best rookie CB he had ever seen?
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2015, 07:59 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Stating that Winston is concerned about his job because of his comments? I see this as trying to create a story where there is not one. That is unless of course you have some insider information that provides you insight into the thoughts of Winston.

Lol trying to stir up some controversy over our backup tackle? Yawn  you give my words way more intention than they have.

Was simply my opinion.
Mostly because in my mind you don't need him on the roster.

2 Healthy all-pro starters, a rookie who could step in (with growing pains for sure), and a rehabbing rookie who might be ready by mid season. I always thought Winston was our "Crocker pickup". Once again, that is my opinion and you could surely make a case for keeping him based on Andre's injury history and Whit's knees.

If I was him, I would worry about my job security.

But I shouldn't have written that because now I'll be accused of creating a story where there isn't one.... on a message board of all places Rolleyes
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2015, 09:42 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Lol trying to stir up some controversy over our backup tackle? Yawn  you give my words way more intention than they have.

Was simply my opinion.
Mostly because in my mind you don't need him on the roster.

2 Healthy all-pro starters, a rookie who could step in (with growing pains for sure), and a rehabbing rookie who might be ready by mid season. I always thought Winston was our "Crocker pickup". Once again, that is my opinion and you could surely make a case for keeping him based on Andre's injury history and Whit's knees.

If I was him, I would worry about my job security.

But I shouldn't have written that because now I'll be accused of creating a story where there isn't one.... on a message board of all places Rolleyes

Besides Whit, who else on our offensive line is an All-Pro???
Reply/Quote