Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maybe Winston needs to zip it~
(06-30-2015, 11:44 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Besides Whit, who else on our offensive line is an All-Pro???

You're right, All-Pro is a stretch for Andre Smith, but he is a more than capable starter on a contract year. I should have said we have "two solid book ends", as some say.
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2015, 01:53 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: You're right, All-Pro is a stretch for Andre Smith, but he is a more than capable starter on a contract year. I should have said we have "two solid book ends", as some say.

I can agree with that. I think Fisher would be a good successor to Smith. Although, Whit may prove he has some gas left in the tank even after this season.

I'd like the line to go Whit-Boling-Zeitler-Fisher-Ogubehi in 2016 if Whit plays at a high level.
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2015, 11:26 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: ... Essentially, I see Winston worried about his job security.

Winston is a very smart man.  He graduated from college in 3 years.

He is 31, now a backup, and has been released by 4 other teams.

I don't think he has any illusions about having job security.  

Also if he was the kind of guy to undercut other players, I doubt he would have been elected to be the president of the NFLPA.
Reply/Quote
Obviously its offseason! Much ado about nothing!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2015, 09:05 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Did anyone say anything along those lines when Marvin Lewis praised Darqueze Dennard that he was the best rookie CB he had ever seen?

Yes they did.  The "Kirkpatrick is a bust" crowd was all over that comment.
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2015, 10:05 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Yes they did.  The "Kirkpatrick is a bust" crowd was all over that comment.

Doesn't surprise me. Wonder if that crowd is still around going strong or waiting for a bad game
Reply/Quote
Nothing wrong with what was said in that article.
Reply/Quote
Again you see the grouping of fans who somehow get emotionally hurt when a coach (or in this situation player) says something not pillowy and sweet about another player.

Winston said nothing wrong. Fisher has an up hill battle to take the field as a rookie. Barring injury or massive shock, he probably won't see the field outside of Jumbo packages for his athleticism.
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2015, 04:06 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Again you see the grouping of fans who somehow get emotionally hurt when a coach (or in this situation player) says something not pillowy and sweet about another player.

Winston said nothing wrong. Fisher has an up hill battle to take the field as a rookie. Barring injury or massive shock, he probably won't see the field outside of Jumbo packages for his athleticism.

Agree! Winston just told it like it is. 
Reply/Quote
Emotionally hurt? I just think a vet, a leader worthy for speaking for the organization should talk up a rookie (especially if he's so far from seeing the field he's no threat). I would anyway. I'll be in with that grouping of fans.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2015, 05:00 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: I can agree with that. I think Fisher would be a good successor to Smith. Although, Whit may prove he has some gas left in the tank even after this season.

I'd like the line to go Whit-Boling-Zeitler-Fisher-Ogubehi in 2016 if Whit plays at a high level.

Zeitler at Center?  Interesting, but I think Bodine will be much improved in his second season. 

I ran in to Kevin Zeitler down town before a Reds game.  I could not get over how different his body looked compared to when I first saw him at training camp. He looks like he could play TE!  I can't help but wonder if his improved conditioning, strength, and potentially his agility wouldn't make him a candidate for RT?  I know they have Fischer and Ogubehi, but if Smith isn't available early in the year for any reason perhaps the depth at G with Trey Hopkins would send Zeitler to RT. 

It is just nice to know that they don't HAVE to rely on any one guy.  Just like on the defensive line, they have depth and talent across the board.
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2015, 08:05 PM)jj22 Wrote: And realize he's no leader on this team and it's him that has a long way to go to make this team. Plenty of players start "day 1" on the oline and do fine. Was this a shot at Fishers struggles? Why is he even worried about our expectations of anyone else but him? To me this came across as an unnecessary shot. Just say the kid has talent and leave it at that. You know he won't start so why the extended analysis?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/29/eric-winston-dont-expect-too-much-from-jake-fisher-too-soon/

Well, Winston is probably more spot on than people want to believe. Think of Fisher as someone to come in when a 6th OLman is needed, but don't expect him to get a start unless two OTs go down with injury. Not expecting anything out of Ogubehi this year.

Reply/Quote