Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Maybe best WRs Burrow will ever have
(03-25-2022, 05:49 PM)pulses Wrote: We wont be paying 2 WR's 30 mill a year and a QB 50 mill.....wishful thinking but won't happen.

Or maybe they come to us to get a ring?
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(03-25-2022, 06:04 PM)Interceptor Wrote: Or maybe they come to us to get a ring?

With the way WR's are getting paid he's not gonna take that BIG of a discount. Anything is possible I just don't see it.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2022, 02:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Burrow goes through a progression and hits the first guy who is open.  Very few plays where TE is option ahead of our 3 WRs.  Simple as that.

Also, based on Hursts production so fat I doubt he is very much better at running routes than CJ .

Actually, the tight end would be the #2 or #3 read on a lot of plays because, in three receiver sets with a tight end, Burrow would just go from the outside to the slot receiver or the slot receiver to the outside receiver and then to the tight end because the tight end would be either crossing or somewhere in the middle of the field. The quarterback isn't going to just look to the right side on the outside and then turn his body completely the other way without looking to the tight end first (I know there's certain play calls or unusual circumstances, but I mean normally).

In a lot of plays, he'll be the #1 or #2 target because of the safeties drifting to the outside, blitzing, or having to play man-to-man on the tight end because of linebackers blitzing. 

Also, what do numbers have to do with route running? Watch this video and see that he's actually pretty damn good at running routes for a tight end!
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2022, 02:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Burrow goes through a progression and hits the first guy who is open.  Very few plays where TE is option ahead of our 3 WRs.  Simple as that.

Also, based on Hursts production so far I doubt he is very much better at running routes than CJ.

Fred, watch the player please instead of just looking at stats.

Hurst is so much crisper in his routes than CJ it isn't even close. Kind of a big reason Hurst was a 1st round pick and Uzo 
was a late round pick. If Hurst stays healthy I bet he will have his best season as a pro with Burrow throwing to him.

Sure didn't help his production when the Falcons drafted Pitts last year 4th overall.

(03-25-2022, 03:55 PM)Interceptor Wrote: 2024: Bengals enter free agent talks with Justin Jefferson

(03-25-2022, 05:53 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: [Image: wldfak9huew71.jpg]

I could see this lol
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2022, 02:10 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Fred, watch the player please instead of just looking at stats.

Hurst is so much crisper in his routes than CJ it isn't even close. Kind of a big reason Hurst was a 1st round pick and Uzo 
was a late round pick. If Hurst stays healthy I bet he will have his best season as a pro with Burrow throwing to him.

Sure didn't help his production when the Falcons drafted Pitts last year 4th overall.

I could see this lol

Also with a better Oline they'll probably run more plays with TE and RB, for that matter, as passing options. They won't have to stay home and block free rushers so much.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Off topic but I think it’s a lock that Cincy grabs Edwards-Helaire after his contract runs up
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2022, 02:10 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Fred, watch the player please instead of just looking at stats.

Exactly the same thing I said. Fred thinks stats tell the whole story of all situations.

The video I posted showed how good of a route runner Hurst is, and not only is he a good route runner, he's also a smart route runner and knows how to find open spots and sit in open spaces. I know that a lot of routes are timing routes and a receiver needs to be at an exact spot at an exact time, but watch and see how Hurst can find open spot and just sit there.

Linebackers can't cover him and it takes safeties off of our other receivers because he can run routes all over the field and make catches anywhere.

Like you said, it's not his fault that they drafted Pitts last year but it's working out well for us! 
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2022, 04:40 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Exactly the same thing I said. Fred thinks stats tell the whole story of all situations.

The video I posted showed how good of a route runner Hurst is, and not only is he a good route runner, he's also a smart route runner and knows how to find open spots and sit in open spaces. I know that a lot of routes are timing routes and a receiver needs to be at an exact spot at an exact time, but watch and see how Hurst can find open spot and just sit there.

Linebackers can't cover him and it takes safeties off of our other receivers because he can run routes all over the field and make catches anywhere.

Like you said, it's not his fault that they drafted Pitts last year but it's working out well for us! 

Hayden is a monster in the passing game. I do worry a bit about how he will be blocking, but regardless, even if you think Uzomah is a better tight end, the deal we signed Hayden too is straight robbery!  Personally, I think Hayden will be an upgrade since Zac likes empty sets so much.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2022, 02:10 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: ***

Something that I read on ESPN.com today make me think of your remark: "And considering the other offensive playmakers on the Bengals' roster, tight end Hayden Hurst -- on a one-year deal -- will be a mismatch for opponents."

That was an article stating which team improved the most during free agency, with two of the analysts picking the Bengals.

NFL free agency 2022 - Most improved teams, best and worst signings, value deals, gut reactions and more (espn.com)
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2022, 03:26 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Also with a better Oline they'll probably run more plays with TE and RB, for that matter, as passing options. They won't have to stay home and block free rushers so much.

True. I could see a lot of change in the Offense this year with the guys they brought in. Use them all at what they are best at.

We won't ALWAYS be a wide zone in our OL scheme with Cappa, Karras and Collins now here who are power O-lineman.

We also can use the TE and RB more as you say as passing options to spell our WR's where all the focus will be for Defenses.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2022, 03:29 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Off topic but I think it’s a lock that Cincy grabs Edwards-Helaire after his contract runs up

Honestly that isn't that off topic as we were talking about Jefferson maybe coming here which probably won't happen.

But Clyde could be much more likely.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2022, 04:40 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Exactly the same thing I said. Fred thinks stats tell the whole story of all situations.

Yes, being a smart route runner is a big deal and makes a Receiver special. Nice post Brad. That is why Cooper Kupp is so 
damn good, I know he is a WR not a TE but thats not the point. He is a smart route runner and knows how to find the open
areas of the field as you say. This is what Hayden Hurst is good at, something that Uzo wasn't near as good at.

Hurst's blocking is what concerns me a bit, but as far as a pass catcher and a weapon, Hurst is a major upgrade.

(03-26-2022, 04:54 PM)CardCounterChris Wrote: Hayden is a monster in the passing game. I do worry a bit about how he will be blocking, but regardless, even if you think Uzomah is a better tight end, the deal we signed Hayden too is straight robbery!  Personally, I think Hayden will be an upgrade since Zac likes empty sets so much.

Can we redo the deal and make it a multi year one is my question? I think Hurst is going to have a big year and will be 
expensive. Now would be the time to give him an extension, while his production has been disappointing for a 1st round 
pick. BTW, it is Burrow who loves empty sets so much.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2022, 07:12 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: True. I could see a lot of change in the Offense this year with the guys they brought in. Use them all at what they are best at.

We won't ALWAYS be a wide zone in our OL scheme with Cappa, Karras and Collins now here who are power O-lineman.

We also can use the TE and RB more as you say as passing options to spell our WR's where all the focus will be for Defenses.

I keep hoping we trade up and get Linderbaum or however you spell it ?
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2022, 06:35 PM)Nepa Wrote: Something that I read on ESPN.com today make me think of your remark: "And considering the other offensive playmakers on the Bengals' roster, tight end Hayden Hurst -- on a one-year deal -- will be a mismatch for opponents."

That was an article stating which team improved the most during free agency, with two of the analysts picking the Bengals.

NFL free agency 2022 - Most improved teams, best and worst signings, value deals, gut reactions and more (espn.com)

For once I agree with a few dudes on ESPN. I usually put no stock in those people but there were a few that were making
some good points about the most improved teams and such. The Rams getting Allen Robinson was a damn good move but
they also lost a bunch of guys. I think the Bengals, Bills and Broncos improved the most this Offseason.

Hurst adds a different type of player to our Offense and says the TE will not be ignored like has been the case since the 
Eifert days half a decade ago.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2022, 07:27 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I keep hoping we trade up and get Linderbaum or however you spell it ?

You spelled his name right. I don't think we will need to trade up for him honestly. I think Linderbaum could fall right to us with his 
short arms and being undersized. Teams will question these things as making the jump from college to the NFL with short arms and
being undersized isn't easy. I think he can make up for it though with quick hands, great technique and his strength. He was a great
wrestler after all, he ain't no punk and dominated at Iowa.

But I think even we might pass on him yah never know cause he has short arms and is undersized and might not fit.

We also might like Karras more at Center, I don't know. Myself I would be all for Linderbaum at 31. I just don't want to trade up to 
get him. Would rather stay put or trade back and go BPA.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2022, 07:34 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You spelled his name right. I don't think we will need to trade up for him honestly. I think Linderbaum could fall right to us with his 
short arms and being undersized. Teams will question these things as making the jump from college to the NFL with short arms and
being undersized isn't easy. I think he can make up for it though with quick hands, great technique and his strength. He was a great

But I think even we might pass on him yah never know cause he has short arms and is undersized and might not fit.

We also might like Karras more at Center, I don't know. Myself I would be all for Linderbaum at 31. I just don't want to trade up to 

I get it

The thing is with me though is I'm sick and tired of this teams achilles heel being the Oline. When was the last time we had a decent Oline ? 2015 ?
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2022, 08:31 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I get it

The thing is with me though is I'm sick and tired of this teams achilles heel being the Oline. When was the last time we had a decent Oline ? 2015 ?

That was the last time, not a coincidence that was also the last time we were relevant besides this last season.

Amazing we did what we did last season with that beat up crappy OL. 

Says a lot about our skill players on Offense and our Defense and ST's.

We will see if Linderbaum falls to us and we take him, this would be telling on what the coaches and FO are thinking.

I also understand us passing on him cause they like Karras at Center and Carman at LG. Might be the best way to go honestly.

Carman just has to be healthy and the back cannot be a problem. If we take Linderbaum, Carman won't start and he might be
a bust because of the back injury. Sure hope this isn't the case, really like Carman as a player if he can gain consistency with his
hand placement.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2022, 07:34 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You spelled his name right. I don't think we will need to trade up for him honestly. I think Linderbaum could fall right to us with his 

I've never understood the size argument.  If the player is strong enough to compensate for it, I don't see it mattering. The only time it would maybe be relevant is when going against a massive NT, but no one leaves their center one on one with a NT.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2022, 03:52 PM)CardCounterChris Wrote: I've never understood the size argument.  If the player is strong enough to compensate for it, I don't see it mattering. The only time it would maybe be relevant is when going against a massive NT, but no one leaves their center one on one with a NT.

Feel the same, but size is always talked about. Otherwise they wouldn't measure or weigh players.

I think Linderbaum will be just fine in the NFL myself. He dominated at Iowa against some of the best DT's in the nation.

I expect him to at the very least be a solid NFL Center.
Reply/Quote