Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maybe it's time to blow it up
I know people are going to freak out, but lets try and think rationally for a few minutes. The window doesn't stay open forever. There have been some pretty talented Bengals teams that have produced regular season success only. The key pieces are there, but it's time to make some changes.

I'm not suggesting a fire sale like the Reds. I'm not suggesting change for the sake of change. Something has to give though. I'm a fan of Lewis, but it may be time to clean house (Alexander too) and try again. I'd let Adam Jones, Leon Hall, Brandon Tate, and Andre Smith walk. Best of luck, don't let the door hit you on the way out. On offense, you have your QB in Dalton, you have a great WR in Green, you have a great TE in Eifert, and you keep Gio for sure. They have to get an upgrade at Center. They need another WR that is going to help take coverage off of Green. Marvin Jones is the best in house option, but there's no reason not to look around.

On the defensive side, I love Peko but there has to be upgrade out there. I'd move on from Burfict and bring in some actual talent at the LB position that aren't total head cases. Bringing in aging, near the end veterans aren't the answer. Dennard, Lewis-Harris, and Shaw would be my only safe CBs. Explore what's out there. I understand you'd be losing talent letting Jones and Hall go, but getting younger is going to have happen sooner or later. I'd keep Nelson and Iloka as the safeties.

Nugent needs to go. The team needs a kicker with a big leg. I understand long kicks are tough for everyone, but there are better options out there that can help in 50+ situations.

I know a lot of people are going to just get mad and say this is a stupid idea, but something has to give. Doing the same thing hasn't worked out so well the last 5 years. Don't get me wrong, I love being competitive and you don't have a chance to win it all if you don't make the playoffs. As it sits, it doesn't look like this team has a chance to win it all even making the playoffs. Doing the same thing repeatedly has netted the exact same results, playoff failure. It's time to make some big changes.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 03:30 AM)muskiesfan Wrote: I know people are going to freak out, but lets try and think rationally for a few minutes. The window doesn't stay open forever. There have been some pretty talented Bengals teams that have produced regular season success only. The key pieces are there, but it's time to make some changes.

I'm not suggesting a fire sale like the Reds. I'm not suggesting change for the sake of change. Something has to give though. I'm a fan of Lewis, but it may be time to clean house (Alexander too) and try again. I'd let Adam Jones, Leon Hall, Brandon Tate, and Andre Smith walk. Best of luck, don't let the door hit you on the way out. On offense, you have your QB in Dalton, you have a great WR in Green, you have a great TE in Eifert, and you keep Gio for sure. They have to get an upgrade at Center. They need another WR that is going to help take coverage off of Green. Marvin Jones is the best in house option, but there's no reason not to look around.

On the defensive side, I love Peko but there has to be upgrade out there. I'd move on from Burfict and bring in some actual talent at the LB position that aren't total head cases. Bringing in aging, near the end veterans aren't the answer. Dennard, Lewis-Harris, and Shaw would be my only safe CBs. Explore what's out there. I understand you'd be losing talent letting Jones and Hall go, but getting younger is going to have happen sooner or later. I'd keep Nelson and Iloka as the safeties.

Nugent needs to go. The team needs a kicker with a big leg. I understand long kicks are tough for everyone, but there are better options out there that can help in 50+ situations.

I know a lot of people are going to just get mad and say this is a stupid idea, but something has to give. Doing the same thing hasn't worked out so well the last 5 years. Don't get me wrong, I love being competitive and you don't have a chance to win it all if you don't make the playoffs. As it sits, it doesn't look like this team has a chance to win it all even making the playoffs. Doing the same thing repeatedly has netted the exact same results, playoff failure. It's time to make some big changes.

Making a thread called "Maybe it's time to blow it up" after a loss in the playoffs isn't such a good idea with all the ISIS stuff going on. Lol.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 03:32 AM)Matt_Crimson Wrote: Making a thread called "Maybe it's time to blow it up" after a loss in the playoffs isn't such a good idea with all the ISIS stuff going on. Lol.

I know it's dangerous territory right now, but I thought it was fitting with the other potential coaching changes on the horizon. As for the ISIS, I definitely didn't put enough thought into that.
Reply/Quote
I really wonder what you do with Burfict.
Can you trust the guy?
I know he's good.
But.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals Defense was amazing this year, outside of these ticky tack things...Dalton would have put up the points I have to imagine.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
It's pretty much bound to happen. All these guys under contract, not to mention Nelson being old and having the injury In the game.

The team is going to look vastly different next year, its too bad because I really liked every player on this team.... Hopefully not too many depart.
Reply/Quote
Changes are definitely needed. This game put a stamp on that.
Reply/Quote
I thought not having Dalton would save any big plans. But with the coaching staff about to get shaken up, and the number of free agents we have, things could get interesting in the next couple days. We don't need to blow the whole thing up, but this loss was a significant blow to the program, and likely will have lasting effects.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Nothing gets blown up until Mike Brown is pushing up daisies or catatonic in a rest home.

Mikey Boy Cursed from the day he took over.

[Image: cursed_zpsijxcuk59.png]
Reply/Quote
We need a running game, we need a kicker, and a new HC. That would change things tremendously.
Reply/Quote
This was Marvin's shot.
They lost.
Mikey needs to send the right message to any free agents considering leaving.
Tough call.
But a new coach should give the players hope.
Especially a proven guy like Coughlin, Payton, or even Jon Gruden or Bill Parcells (two unrealistic options, I know).
Get a true leader out there.
I know Marvin has shown improvement every year.
But every year ends the same.
With a giggle.
Or better yet, with a sigh.
Reply/Quote