Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maybe the Timing will be Perfect.
Dalton has been great at the beginning of the past two seasons. He seems to do well at the beginning of the season each year. Maybe some time off will make this playoff run seem like a new season for him (assuming he makes it back). He has a similar type run to the runs he has at the beginning of seasons and plays very well in the playoffs......

Just sayin, maybe the time off will give him time to approach the postseason like it is the beginning of the season. All speculation of course.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2015, 03:43 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Dalton has been great at the beginning of the past two seasons. He seems to do well at the beginning of the season each year. Maybe some time off will make this playoff run seem like a new season for him (assuming he makes it back). He has a similar type run to the runs he has at the beginning of seasons and plays very well in the playoffs......

Just sayin, maybe the time off will give him time to approach the postseason like it is the beginning of the season. All speculation of course.

I've never felt that his playoff issues have been physical.  I don't think having the time off will help him out that much.  He seemed to have an incredible grasp of the offense this year and was playing at such a high level.

The mental bit has always held him back a little.  We saw none of that this year.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2015, 10:18 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I've never felt that his playoff issues have been physical.  I don't think having the time off will help him out that much.  He seemed to have an incredible grasp of the offense this year and was playing at such a high level.

The mental bit has always held him back a little.  We saw none of that this year.

This....I think the game has finally slowed down for him , and he was playing looser and more confident.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2015, 10:18 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I've never felt that his playoff issues have been physical.  I don't think having the time off will help him out that much.  He seemed to have an incredible grasp of the offense this year and was playing at such a high level.

I agree that he's much better in the mental aspect, but his passing abilities, particularly his long ball, are also much improved.

I'm just hoping the the injury doesn't take away from any of that or make him lose any trust in his ability to throw the ball, which is why an extra week with the bye would be huge.
Reply/Quote
I would love to see one of you stat guru's compile and compare stats from games 1-8 and 9-16 for the last 3 years as I agree with the OP in that AD always looks best the first half of season. Then again, so does the entire O. So, maybe it's the coach's play calling, who knows.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2015, 12:19 PM)Whacked Wrote: I would love to see one of you stat guru's compile and compare stats from games 1-8 and 9-16 for the last 3 years as I agree with the OP in that AD always looks best the first half of season. Then again, so does the entire O. So, maybe it's the coach's play calling, who knows.

Up until this year....that has been the case.  We were in game 13 when he went down and he was still playing the same.  I think it's several factors. For one....our line hasn't been this healthy this long....nor have our RBs.  Dalton has been growing to go along with that.  Last year was a MASH unit totally.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2015, 07:02 AM)Wyche Wrote: This....I think the game has finally slowed down for him , and he was playing looser and more confident.

I think Andy's biggest strength this year has been the ability to not get stuck in the quicksand if things go wrong.

In the past he would push push push to try to will himself and the team to bounce back often ending in forced error.

This year even when the chips have been down he has been patient and let the game come to him.
Those are the traits that clutch guys have.  Stay patient and make the play when its there.
Trust the process.

He def has overcome his own issues in that respect this year.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2015, 01:14 PM)Junglejuice Wrote: I think Andy's biggest strength this year has been the ability to not get stuck in the quicksand if things go wrong.

In the past he would push push push to try to will himself and the team to bounce back often ending in forced error.

This year even when the chips have been down he has been patient and let the game come to him.
Those are the traits that clutch guys have.  Stay patient and make the play when its there.
Trust the process.

He def has overcome his own issues in that respect this year.

I agree that Dalton has overcome his own issues this year. It's been good to see. I really doubted he'd do it, but he did.

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2015, 12:19 PM)Whacked Wrote: I would love to see one of you stat guru's compile and compare stats from games 1-8 and 9-16 for the last 3 years as I agree with the OP in that AD always looks best the first half of season. Then again, so does the entire O. So, maybe it's the coach's play calling, who knows.

[Image: andy%20dalton%20season%20splits%20by%20h...1l4zqb.jpg]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
RFaulk. You da man!
Very cool!

Other than 2014, this speculation of his FIRST HALF of the season being superior than the second half, seems to be accurate.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2015, 02:20 PM)Whacked Wrote: RFaulk. You da man!
Very cool!

Other than 2014, this speculation of his FIRST HALF of the season being superior than the second half, seems to be accurate.

TD/INT ratio is better in the first half. Yardage/YPA is better in the 2nd half.

I'd pretty much call it a wash. I don't think he's played noticeably worse in the 2nd half. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote