Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maybe we can start using the No-Huddle Offense
The Ravens were gassed in the 4th quarter yesterday. We have a wealth of offensive weapons sans Tight Ends.
That said with all the weapons we can use we should run and gun the opposing defenses and have them exhausted.
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I totally agree. It makes a lot of sense since Joe is known as a brilliant football guy, let him call what he chooses that best matches the defense and keep them from subbing.
Reply/Quote
The big issue running a no huddle exclusively is when it isn't working, you are giving the ball back very quickly and allow them to have more opportunities at scoring. It increases drive counts on both sides, so you have to hope it is working for the offense or you are going to find yourself in a hole very quick. At the moment, with an injured QB, I think this is a poor idea.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 12:15 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: The big issue running a no huddle exclusively is when it isn't working, you are giving the ball back very quickly and allow them to have more opportunities at scoring. It increases drive counts on both sides, so you have to hope it is working for the offense or you are going to find yourself in a hole very quick. At the moment, with an injured QB, I think this is a poor idea.

Yes. We had 2 3 and outs in the 1st quarter. We can give the defense 42 seconds of rest.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 12:18 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yes. We had 2 3 and outs in the 1st quarter. We can give the defense 42 seconds of rest.

The issue is NOT to have 2-3 outs in any quarter. The idea for a No-Huddle offense is to get first downs or more. If we were getting the same results then that idea would be moot. 

However, did you stay and watch our last drive of the game? The Bengals were using the No-Huddle Offense and it WORKED.  Did you see the Defense of the Ravens were gassed? The announcers sure did and they stated that. So why wait until the last quarter to run these plays instead of using them in the first quarter?
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
The no huddle doesn't have to be fast, it is about keeping the defenders from subbing. No huddle - get to the line, run the clock to 0 if you want.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 12:18 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yes. We had 2 3 and outs in the 1st quarter. We can give the defense 42 seconds of rest.

I don't think that anyone is intending for the offense to run to the line, and snap the ball as quickly as possible.  When they find a defensive group that has a favorable matchup, they need to go directly to the line in order to not allow the defense to substitute.

Example:  Bengals run for 5 yards versus base defense in 11 personnel.  Bengals run to the line, use all of the play clock, then Joe is able to pick which one on one matchup he wants to throw to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 01:09 PM)M.W. Wrote: The no huddle doesn't have to be fast, it is about keeping the defenders from subbing.  No huddle - get to the line, run the clock to 0 if you want.

Though if you're at the end of the game down two scores and the clock is ticking, hopefully you do run it faster than they did yesterday. It was a very very leisurely "hurry up" offense at times.

First two catches by Boyd on the final scoring drive to the next play (both incompletions) were 36 and 41 seconds. Then they spent 37 seconds on a Mixon run.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 01:20 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Though if you're at the end of the game down two scores and the clock is ticking, hopefully you do run it faster than they did yesterday. It was a very very leisurely "hurry up" offense at times.

First two catches by Boyd on the final scoring drive to the next play (both imcompletions) were 36 and 41 seconds. Then they spent 37 seconds on a Mixon run.

While no huddle offense /=/ "hurry up" offense, you do make a very valid point about a definite lack of urgency at the end of both halves of the game.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Agree would like to see more no huddle and keep teams on their toes. Also stop worrying about what other teams do well and worry about them trying to stop us. Teams should be terrified of this offense in theory. Deferring the opening kickoff annoyed me , you got the home crowd and Humphreys out go attack vs. giving Lamar the ball. Defense was a huge reason we won the last 2 years but we’re going younger and cheaper in some places need to rely on the offense more ton of money invested there.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 01:06 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: The issue is NOT to have 2-3 outs in any quarter. The idea for a No-Huddle offense is to get first downs or more. If we were getting the same results then that idea would be moot. 

However, did you stay and watch our last drive of the game? The Bengals were using the No-Huddle Offense and it WORKED.  Did you see the Defense of the Ravens were gassed? The announcers sure did and they stated that. So why wait until the last quarter to run these plays instead of using them in the first quarter?

This is true.   And NE was using it with effectiveness against the Dolphins last night.  They were just overmatched.

I was thinking the same thins as I watched.   Good idea.  As they are able to use it at length they can turn it into a ball control offense where we - instead of the Ravens - are dictating the terms of the game.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 12:02 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: The Ravens were gassed in the 4th quarter yesterday. We have a wealth of offensive weapons sans Tight Ends.
That said with all the weapons we can use we should run and gun the opposing defenses and have them exhausted.

Actually, at LSU Joe Burrow was at his best in a fast paced hurry up as he ran plays faster than college defenses could keep up.  It's really a strength of his, and when Burrow gets in a hot, fast paced rhythm, it's best to let him go fast when he gets hot and don't hold him back.  This doesn't mean you don't call runs, LSU called runs, but LSU would have Burrow over center taking the snap play after play before defenses were ready for whatever play was coming, and Burrow would work the whole field for LSU getting the ball to many runners and pass catchers as defenses were huffing and puffing. 

So I think you make a valid point BengalsYankee.  Joe Burrow is the leader of this team for years to come now, and he is at his best in a Southern New Orleans, LSU type fast paced style,  not a slow just getting the play off before the play clock style.  That's like hitching a race horse to a plow and making him a slow plow horse. 

Those who doubt this, go look at the LSU game footage of when Burrow was winning Championship for LSU.  Burrow got plays off super fast and that created defense in the wrong place at the wrong time.  Plus Burrow gets a Hot Hand going fast.  I get that way shooting pool, if I''m really in a rhythm, I don't want to over think the shots and just go with the hot rhythm I'm in.   When Joe Burrow is in a hot rhythm, you want that center snapping those plays fast.  Bengals need to be Up Tempo like LSU or New Orleans and not slow paced like some Ohio teams I have watched.  Burrow excelled more at LSU than Ohio State because LSU shared the New Orleans Saints style of going Southern Fast, and Burrow was better in a fast paced Southern offese than what Northern Ohio State runs. 

Also, you don't make your Super Star player fit the system, you make the system fit the Super Star player. You build your franchise for the upcoming years around Joe Burrows strengths, and his strength is running plays faster than the defense can keep up. If Bengals front office don't know this, then they don't know anything and are still like when they took a great roll out QB in Blake and insisted he be a pocket QB only, and being small he got most passes batted back in his face like a blocked shot in basketball. You go with your players strengths, not their weaknesses, and Burrows strength is he can run plays faster than defenses can keep up, If Bengals Let Him. There was nothing wrong with Blake being great at rolling out, and there is nothing wrong with Burrow being great at running plays huury up fast, and I fail to see what was so great with a Bengals system that went 30 years without a play-off win until Joe Burrow lead this team to play-off wins, often in late game comeback 2 minute Hurry Up Mode.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Lac’s brain can’t process things that move quickly. Please don’t make things tougher on him than they already are.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 12:02 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: The Ravens were gassed in the 4th quarter yesterday. We have a wealth of offensive weapons sans Tight Ends.

One big problem, Burrow did not look like he wanted any part of speeding up the game... 
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 03:01 PM)kevin Wrote: Actually, at LSU Joe Burrow was at his best in a fast paced hurry up as he ran plays faster than college defenses could keep up.  It's really a strength of his, and when Burrow gets in a hot, fast paced rhythm, it's best to let him go fast when he gets hot and don't hold him back.  This doesn't mean you don't call runs, LSU called runs, but LSU would have Burrow over center taking the snap play after play before defenses were ready for whatever play was coming, and Burrow would work the whole field for LSU getting the ball to many runners and pass catchers as defenses were huffing and puffing. 

So I think you make a valid point BengalsYankee.  Joe Burrow is the leader of this team for years to come now, and he is at his best in a Southern New Orleans, LSU type fast paced style,  not a slow just getting the play off before the play clock style.  That's like hitching a race horse to a plow and making him a slow plow horse. 

Those who doubt this, go look at the LSU game footage of when Burrow was winning Championship for LSU.  Burrow got plays off super fast and that created defense in the wrong place at the wrong time.  Plus Burrow gets a Hot Hand going fast.  I get that way shooting pool, if I''m really in a rhythm, I don't want to over think the shots and just go with the hot rhythm I'm in.   When Joe Burrow is in a hot rhythm, you want that center snapping those plays fast.  Bengals need to be Up Tempo like LSU or New Orleans and not slow paced like some Ohio teams I have watched.  Burrow excelled more at LSU than Ohio State because LSU shared the New Orleans Saints style of going Southern Fast, and Burrow was better in a fast paced Southern offese than what Northern Ohio State runs. 

Also, you don't make your Super Star player fit the system,  you make the system fit the Super Star player.  You build your franchise for the upcoming years around Joe Burrows strengths, and his strength is running plays faster than the defense can keep up.  If Bengals front office don't know this, then they don't know anything and are still like when they took a great roll out QB in Blake and insisted he be a pocket QB only, and being small he got most passes batted back in his face like a blocked shot in basketball. You go with your players strengths, not their weaknesses, and Burrows strength is he can run plays faster than defenses can keep up, If Bengals Let Him.  There was nothing wrong with Blake being great at rolling out, and there is nothing wrong with Burrow being great at running plays huury up fast, and I fail to see what was so great with a Bengals system that went 30 years without a play-off win until Joe Burrow lead this team to play-off wins, often in late game comeback 2 minute Hurry Up Mode.

College vs NFL are different creatures, the level of competition is way different which creates more advantage in college than in nfl in hurry up, and Burrow should did not look the part of hurry up especially if he was concerned about his calf..  We have done hurry up before but I don;t see it right now with Burrow and his health and mindset
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 01:20 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Though if you're at the end of the game down two scores and the clock is ticking, hopefully you do run it faster than they did yesterday. It was a very very leisurely "hurry up" offense at times.

First two catches by Boyd on the final scoring drive to the next play (both incompletions) were 36 and 41 seconds. Then they spent 37 seconds on a Mixon run.

Agreed. I'm glad you brought that up. It was excruciating seeing how much time they were wasting down two scores late in the game. I understood they wanted to make sure they scored, but this meant the defense had to be perfect to get the ball back -- against a Ravens offense that had  been eating clocking most of the game.

I was thinking they might even do an onside kick. But I guess they thought they could duplicate the Ravens 3-and-out the previous drive. 
Reply/Quote

I was screaming this at the tv. Not sure why we didn’t.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 01:06 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: The issue is NOT to have 2-3 outs in any quarter. The idea for a No-Huddle offense is to get first downs or more. If we were getting the same results then that idea would be moot. 

You can’t look at the last drive of a game and say, seeeee our offense is working. All teams with a lead play some type of prevent defense. Give up the middle and the underneath, just don’t get beat. We dinked and dunked down the field. We didn’t get a 40 yard seam route to chase or Higgins.

They should have gone no huddle way sooner, but not because it “was working”, only because we needed to score, stop, and get the back back and score again.
Reply/Quote