Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mayock's Top 5 at Each Position
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000785722/article/mike-mayocks-2017-nfl-draft-position-rankings

Some interesting things to note:
  • DeShone Kizer #1 QB
  • Corey Davis ahead of Mike Williams for #1 WR
  • Cam Robinson not in top 5 OTs, in fact is listed as #2 interior OL
  • Pat Elflein doesn't make list of top 5 interior OL, but Pocic does at #4 (top C prospect)
  • Caleb Brantley #2 for DT, ahead of McDowell
  • Tim Williams and Derek Barnett ahead of Solomon Thomas for top 5 edge rushers
  • Jarrad Davis and Alex Anzalone make top 5 LBs. Raekwon McMillan doesn't make the list
  • Sidney Jones #1 CB ahead of Lattimore, Tabor, and Humphrey

What are some of the observations you have on this list?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2017, 03:21 PM)ochocincos Wrote: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000785722/article/mike-mayocks-2017-nfl-draft-position-rankings

• DeShone Kizer #1 QB
  • Pat Elflein doesn't make list of top 5 interior OL, but Pocic does at #4 (top C prospect)
  • Jarrad Davis and Alex Anzalone make top 5 LBs. Raekwon McMillan doesn't make the list

Just looking at the list, I understand what Maylock is coming from.  Thomas is raw, Barnett broke R. White's record at the great U of T.  Davis has speed and production against lower competition but is quick.  I am surprised on the Robinson rating.  He is the top RT in the draft IMHO.  Elflein doesn't surprise me and Pocic may be a good pick for the Bengals at some point.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
The elflien thing shocks me but doesn't change my mind. Good read though
Reply/Quote
Nice to see Cooper Kupp in there for WR.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I'm not surprised about Tim Williams. I personally think he's the best pass rusher in the draft. I would be very curious to see how he would have done in college had he played more than in a rotation. He very well could have put up Von Miller type numbers.

I know theres some dirt on him, but he would be an immediate impact guy on 3rd downs for us,
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2017, 05:37 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I'm not surprised about Tim Williams.  I personally think he's the best pass rusher in the draft.  I would be very curious to see how he would have done in college had he played more than in a rotation.  He very well could have put up Von Miller type numbers.

I know theres some dirt on him, but he would be an immediate impact guy on 3rd downs for us,

I don't see the Bengals drafting a player that is really only an impact guy on third downs. If they go pass rusher, it's going to be someone that can play all three downs. Especially a top 10 pick. Someone like Solomon Thomas makes sense because he can play base DE on first and second down then move inside on third and long. Tim Williams really only fits as a 3-4 OLB IMO.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-22-2017, 05:50 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I don't see the Bengals drafting a player that is really only an impact guy on third downs. If they go pass rusher, it's going to be someone that can play all three downs. Especially a top 10 pick. Someone like Solomon Thomas makes sense because he can play base DE on first and second down then move inside on third and long. Tim Williams really only fits as a 3-4 OLB IMO.

Possibly.  There are ton of people who still think that Marvin is looking for his version of Peter Boulware - a guy he played at SAM and then moved to DE on passing downs.

You never know with this team.  If they are looking for an edge guy, I could see it since they rotate so heavily.  I wouldn't see it happening at #9, but if they slid back I wouldn't rule it out.

Marvin has taken hybrids before and tried to put them in the system (Polllack is a good example)
Reply/Quote
I'm so glad he has Sidneu Jones as his #1 CB. Been a fan of him all year and think he's the best in this class. See him pretty similar to Jason Verrett in style of play. He's obviously bigger and taller than Verrett.

Oh and Obi is in the top 5. Happy about that.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
I've see mentions of randy Gregory compared to Williams, for the bad stuff. McDowell seems like an attitude problem and a reach at 9 IMHO.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2017, 03:21 PM)ochocincos Wrote: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000785722/article/mike-mayocks-2017-nfl-draft-position-rankings

• DeShone Kizer #1 QB

I've had Davis ahead of Williams for some time. 

Cam Robinson would be a steal in RD 2

They compare Anzalone to Vinny Rey (they spell it wrong). I heard him on Sirius and he sounds like a knucklehead

No way I'd take Williams over Thomas, Barnett, or my personal fav McKinley
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Cam Robinson will be drafted as a tackle. And will probably be the first one drafted.

Plenty of teams need tackles. Are you taking the one coming off hip surgery? The one that will be a 25 year old rookie. Or the one who struggles to stay over 300lbs over the all world 3 year starter stud who started at LT for Bama as a true freshman?

Smoking crack with that.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2017, 06:23 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Possibly.  There are ton of people who still think that Marvin is looking for his version of Peter Boulware - a guy he played at SAM and then moved to DE on passing downs.

You never know with this team.  If they are looking for an edge guy, I could see it since they rotate so heavily.  I wouldn't see it happening at #9, but if they slid back I wouldn't rule it out.

Marvin has taken hybrids before and tried to put them in the system (Polllack is a good example)

Marvin looked for a while. Pollack, Eric Henderson, MJ (early part of career), and Moch were all viewed as guys who could be the DE/LB guy. Now it seems like he's finally given up.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote

• DeShone Kizer #1 QB

Cam Robinson not making it for the top OT's really makes me wonder. He is not an interior O-lineman.

Don't know what Mayock is thinking here. Cam might be the best OT in this draft and i would argue he is.

I like Tim Williams but i like Jonathan Allen more and both Solomon and Barnett better cause of his off the field stuff.

Tim in the 2nd would be great, Takk McKinley or Taco Charlton.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2017, 05:16 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Cam Robinson not making it for the top OT's really makes me wonder. He is not an interior O-lineman.

Don't know what Mayock is thinking here. Cam might be the best OT in this draft and i would argue he is.

I like Tim Williams but i like Jonathan Allen more and both Solomon and Barnett better cause of his off the field stuff.

Tim in the 2nd would be great, Takk McKinley or Taco Charlton.

Mayock has Allen as #1 interior DL. I assume Mayock considers him as a 4-3 UT like Donald or Geno.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Malik McDowell, despite his size, has played better as a DE. He's not as effective inside.
Reply/Quote
Not surprised by Mayock's list. Every year, he and Kiper attempt to differentiate themselves from one another, yet they are both typically wrong about the same percentage of the time.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2017, 08:56 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not surprised by Mayock's list.  Every year, he and Kiper attempt to differentiate themselves from one another, yet they are both typically wrong about the same percentage of the time.

I always thought Mayock was better than Kiper, but perhaps that's just perception and not fact. I don't have data in front of me to support that statement unfortunately.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-24-2017, 10:29 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I always thought Mayock was better than Kiper, but perhaps that's just perception and not fact. I don't have data in front of me to support that statement unfortunately.

Yeah, I'm not looking at any statistics.  Just opinion based off of my own perceptions.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2017, 08:33 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Malik McDowell, despite his size, has played better as a DE.  He's not as effective inside.

Not sure what you mean "despite his size". He actually has practically the exact measurements of Will Clarke, Michael Johnson, and Carlos Dunlap.
What I don't like about McDowell is his lack of production. His draft status is much more about potential. To me, that's a second rounder.
A first round pass rusher should have more than 4.5 sacks in a season. If I'm looking for a base DE that can also rush inside on third downs, I'd rather have Thomas or Walker.
I'd rather have Taco Charlton than McDowell if I'm selecting a DE in the first round.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-24-2017, 10:43 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Not sure what you mean "despite his size". He actually has practically the exact measurements of Will Clarke, Michael Johnson, and Carlos Dunlap.
What I don't like about McDowell is his lack of production. His draft status is much more about potential. To me, that's a second rounder.
A first round pass rusher should have more than 4.5 sacks in a season. If I'm looking for a base DE that can also rush inside on third downs, I'd rather have Thomas or Walker.
I'd rather have Taco Charlton than McDowell if I'm selecting a DE in the first round.

Then why does Mayock list him as an interior lineman?  That's what i mostly disagree with.  Many sites list him as a DT also.

Maybe i worded that wrong but look...http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings

I actually agree with your comparison.  Merely pointing out that the players you mentioned weren't classified as DTs predraft either.
Reply/Quote