Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
McCarron gets a taste of Play-Off action BEFORE play-offs
a Prime Time Night Game in always tough Denver against play-off team Broncos.....at San Francisco, that game flew under the radar in the sports world....This game is PRIME TIME......and it will give McCarron a chance to get a game under his belt under Play-Off Conditions. ....I've only been hoping they coach him up in these 3 starts to get him ready to win in the play-offs....He may not win this game, I hope he does, but it is a good opportunity to let him play in PRIME TIME and get him coached up for a play-off win....This game will be much tougher and at times he may have glazed look like a deer in a cars headlights, but he needs this experience to get ready for the play-offs. .....This Prime Time game is a lot to ask in just his 2nd start, but a play-off win in his 4th start is a lot to ask also....so this game is a good thing and a chance to give him a taste of QB in the NFL on National TV....say it Howard, " on Monday Night Football ".  .......Win or lose, he gains much needed experience from this game.....

Now the worst case scenario is he gets injured before play-offs also....So block line, block.....but he has to play and pass or he won't be worth 2 cents to us in play-offs....so let him go all out, and block line, block. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
McCarron thrives in big games in National TV. He might surprise everyone.
Reply/Quote
Do we have any reason believe Dalton won't be back for the playoffs?
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2015, 12:28 PM)Sled21 Wrote: McCarron thrives in big games in National TV. He might surprise everyone.

So did Andy Dalton in college.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2015, 01:25 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: So did Andy Dalton in college.

And so has Palmer with the Cards...it's almost like the problem lies somewhere else  Mellow
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2015, 01:25 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: So did Andy Dalton in college.

(12-26-2015, 01:35 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: And so has Palmer with the Cards...it's almost like the problem lies somewhere else  Mellow

Or it's like NFL and College aren't apples to apples comparisons.
Reply/Quote
Monday's game is a huge opportunity for this team to exorcise a bunch of demons, as the OP stated:

- prime time game
- night time game
- playing Denver at Denver
- winning a playoff bye
- locking up the AFCN early

etc.

It is a huge opportunity for the team to shed a bunch of monkeys off of their back all at once in front of the whole football world and roll into the playoffs on a big emotional high.

But Denver won't go lightly. They have a good defense and will come after McCarron with everything and the kitchen sink. This is how it is done in the NFL: pressure the young QB. And McCarron is susceptible to pressure. He tends to get happy feet when the blitz comes. That isn't going to change in one game. Our game plan needs to keep that in mind. Hopefully, we can get an early lead and protect it with good D and ball-control O (i.e. conservative play). I don't have faith that we can win this one if McCarron is put into a position of having to gunsling it downfield to get us back in the game. That opens him up to exactly the kind of pressure from their D that he is not ready for yet.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2015, 01:35 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: And so has Palmer with the Cards...it's almost like the problem lies somewhere else  Mellow

Na, that couldn't be. It's not like we had prime-time and playoff issues before Dalton.  Ninja

We could pull this one out though. We did beat Denver in MNF last year, although there were some big differences. We were home, Dalton and Peyton are out, and Hill isn't playing like he was last year, when he was the MVP of that game. Talent-wise, we can hang with Denver though.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2015, 12:28 PM)Sled21 Wrote: McCarron thrives in big games in National TV. He might surprise everyone.

Truth spoken here. AJM's performance in college shouldn't be overlooked with respect to playing under pressure. All the differences between the pro and college games have been well-documented, but what still remains is the intense pressure he has played through, and delivered. He's managed to shut out what's at stake, and do his best to take care of the business at hand - win the game. If he uses what he has been coached to do, and stay within himself, he will provide his team a solid chance to win. 

This is my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2015, 03:13 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Truth spoken here. AJM's performance in college shouldn't be overlooked with respect to playing under pressure. All the differences between the pro and college games have been well-documented, but what still remains is the intense pressure he has played through, and delivered. He's managed to shut out what's at stake, and do his best to take care of the business at hand - win the game. If he uses what he has been coached to do, and stay within himself, he will provide his team a solid chance to win. 

This is my story, and I'm sticking to it.

By this logic Greg McElroy should be starting for the Jets. 
Not calling football on ESPNU 
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2015, 04:17 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: By this logic Greg McElroy should be starting for the Jets. 
Not calling football on ESPNU 

Maybe not. McElroy left the Jets with concussion and ankle issues, then after a year on our practice squad. retired without taking a game snap. We'll never know what he could do because of physical limitations.

Maybe my positive view of AJM's potential to do well Monday is upsetting, but logic doesn't always prevail. It's only my opinion, though I have seen proof of this in my lifetime. And this is how I can support my team for our next game.

Reply/Quote
(12-26-2015, 04:59 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Maybe not. McElroy left the Jets with concussion and ankle issues, then after a year on our practice squad. retired without taking a game snap. We'll never know what he could do because of physical limitations.

Maybe my positive view of AJM's potential to do well Monday is upsetting, but logic doesn't always prevail. It's only my opinion, though I have seen proof of this in my lifetime. And this is how I can support my team for our next game.

It's not the positive view.
It's the logic behind it. 
If you truly want to apply this logic you have to accept that he lost the last 2 games of his senior year (also the 2 biggest games of that year). 

Saying he performed in big games at Alabama and that means he will in Cincinnati is fallacy.
Andy Dalton was known as a big game QB who was clutch at TCU.
AJ McCarron was never really an underdog at Bama.
Andy Dalton was always the underdog with TCU.

If you want to discuss actual reasons why there is positive views to be had, that's fine. 
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2015, 04:59 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Maybe not. McElroy left the Jets with concussion and ankle issues, then after a year on our practice squad. retired without taking a game snap. We'll never know what he could do because of physical limitations.

That's Right

I'm holding out hope that AJM can rise to the occasion and at least put forth an acceptable game manager performance. But I still fully believe we're going to have to have some big time performances from the other phases to have any real chance.

The O - line is going to have to set their purse's down and block like they mean it. We'll have to have some threat of a running game or it's most likely over. The defense is going to have to have their A game, generate a couple turnovers. Special teams is going to have to contribute, pin em back with punts, make the field goals, cover the kickoffs etc.

It's not out of the realm of possibility to win this game if we play to full potential, limit stupid penalties and turnovers. Have the ball bounce our way a bit.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2015, 05:10 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: It's not the positive view.
It's the logic behind it. 
If you truly want to apply this logic you have to accept that he lost the last 2 games of his senior year (also the 2 biggest games of that year). 

Saying he performed in big games at Alabama and that means he will in Cincinnati is fallacy.
Andy Dalton was known as a big game QB who was clutch at TCU.
AJ McCarron was never really an underdog at Bama.
Andy Dalton was always the underdog with TCU.

If you want to discuss actual reasons why there is positive views to be had, that's fine. 

It's fine that I point out the potential that AJM has, whether you care for it or not. Just supporting my team. I don't know what the hell you're doing ....

You skipped over my use of the word "potential", something I think is real. It's kind of a preference of mine, after I've recognized all of the negatives being trumpeted by most around here. I'm not making outrageous predictions. Just recognizing that the Bengals are lucky enough to have drafted a kid from a successful program, one that played well (under pressure) in the biggest games at the college level. And that he has the potential to do well for us, even if it is against the odds. 

Reply/Quote
(12-26-2015, 05:29 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: It's fine that I point out the potential that AJM has, whether you care for it or not. Just supporting my team. I don't know what the hell you're doing ....

You skipped over my use of the word "potential", something I think is real. It's kind of a preference of mine, after I've recognized all of the negatives being trumpeted by most around here. I'm not making outrageous predictions. Just recognizing that the Bengals are lucky enough to have drafted a kid from a successful program, one that played well (under pressure) in the biggest games at the college level. And that he has the potential to do well for us, even if it is against the odds. 

When your reasoning is, "he won big games at Alabama" it's bullshit. Sorry but it is.
If you want to talk about how he seems like he won't turn the ball over with a lead, or is accurate on the short throws...that's fine. 
Reply/Quote
It'll be good experience for McCarron, who professionally has a chance to catch the eye of other teams looking for a qb. He's shown better than expected accuracy on his deep ball, which should keep defenses honest. He can make all the throws if he can step up in the pocket (Bodine).

The line will dictate the outcome of this game. Smith struggles against small speedy ends like Von Miller, and he won't get the help of a quick release.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2015, 06:06 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: When your reasoning is, "he won big games at Alabama" it's bullshit. Sorry but it is.
If you want to talk about how he seems like he won't turn the ball over with a lead, or is accurate on the short throws...that's fine. 

AJ will be looking at a massive pass rush every down unless he can somehow stop it by a good run game.Our line MUST play much much better to give us a chance.He is not as fast at getting the ball out as AD and that is a big problem in this game.Gotta keep extra blockers in to help him.Gio is NOT a quality blocker and he allows the qb to get hammered too much.If our line blocks good,and we get the run going,I like our chances.Catching the rock is going to  difficult because of the pickin cold.I hate cold weather games.It takes away the players skills a lot.I so hope and Pray we pull this one out.And on yes,I hate the stinkin steelers.Everytime they lose,me and the little woman go out and have us a party,and we are ready to party.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2015, 06:06 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: When your reasoning is, "he won big games at Alabama" it's bullshit. Sorry but it is.

You seem to be hell-bent on telling me what is and isn't fine to post, not to mention blowing off my point of simply pointing out his potential. Nowhere was I asking for a debate; just expressing an opinion.

Pity that anything positive disturbs you. I'm done with your negativity.

Reply/Quote
(12-26-2015, 07:14 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: You seem to be hell-bent on telling me what is and isn't fine to post, not to mention blowing off my point of simply pointing out his potential. Nowhere was I asking for a debate; just expressing an opinion.

Pity that anything positive disturbs you. I'm done with your negativity.

If that's what you got from that, you just aren't bright. 
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2015, 08:05 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: If that's what you got from that, you just aren't bright. 

So if someone has an opinion or belief that differs from yours, they're not bright ?

Funny I didn't realize you were an all knowing all telling god like creature whom not only knows everything about football and we're all completely clueless. But moreover any and all beliefs besides your own are stupid.

You are a legend in your own mind huh ?
Reply/Quote