3 6.12%
HUEBER (P)
24.49%
12 24.49%
Total 49 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Message Board All-Time Bengal Team (Kickers)
Pick 1 Kicker (K) and 1 Punter (P)

KICKERS
HORST MUHLMAN
[Image: th?id=JN.SADhpKbTZSbZm0enmM7Fug&pid=15.1&P=0]
1st kicker to ever make FGs of 50 yards of more in 3 consecutive games
Former Professional Soccer Player. Considered to have one of the strongest leg of his era.

JIM BREECH
[Image: jim_breech_1991_01_13.jpg]
Most Points in franchise History
Career 71.4% FGM

SHAYNE GRAHAM
[Image: th?id=JN.ZEkkRnhEHmG0nPte6sbWWg&pid=15.1&P=0]
Only Kicker in Franchise history voted to the Pro Bowl
Career 86.8% FGM

PUNTERS
PAT MCINALLY
[Image: pat-mcinally_display_image.jpg?1333507288]
1 Time All-Pro/ pro Bowl
Led the NFL in Punting Average in 1978 and 1981

LEE JOHNSON
[Image: Lee+Johnson+Bengals.jpg]
Led NFL in 1995 with a 38.5 Net Average
Franchise leader in Punts and Yards

KEVIN HUBER
[Image: 7891620.jpg]
1 Time Pro Bowl
Franchise record Punting Average and Net Average (Career)
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Jim Breech.... Period.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Jim Breech as Kicker however I would be curious to see how Pelfrey compared to the listed choices.

I have a feeling that Pat is garner a substantial amount of votes as punter but I had to go with Huber whom has become a very serious weapon for this team with his average and placement of the ball along with his ability to get it inside the 20.
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2015, 04:13 PM)jason Wrote: Jim Breech.... Period.

Is that as kicker and punter?
Reply/Quote
Huber gets hit and he is out for a year. Pat McInally got the crap knocked out of him catching a pass and came right back.

McInally had 57 career reception for 808 yards (14.2 avg) and 5 tds.
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2015, 08:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Huber gets hit and he is out for a year.  Pat McInally got the crap knocked out of him catching a pass and came right back.

What a wuss Huber was.  All he had was a broken jaw.  Sissy!
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Breech and Huber......although I almost gave a nod to Lee Johnson just for calling out "management"

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(07-02-2015, 08:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Huber gets hit and he is out for a year.  Pat McInally got the crap knocked out of him catching a pass and came right back.

So McInally came back and played with a broken jaw and cracked vertebrae is what you are saying?

As well....playing WR has what to do with being a punter?
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2015, 09:34 AM)OSUfan Wrote: So McInally came back and played with a broken jaw and cracked vertebrae is what you are saying?

As well....playing WR has what to do with being a punter?

McInally was a First Team All-Pro.

He lead the league in punting twice and finished in the top 10 seven times.

Huber has never finished in the top ten.  I know Huber has a good net average and is good at sticking the ball inside the 20, but McInally was the better punter.
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2015, 11:48 AM)fredtoast Wrote: McInally was a First Team All-Pro.

He lead the league in punting twice and finished in the top 10 seven times.

Huber has never finished in the top ten.  I know Huber has a good net average and is good at sticking the ball inside the 20, but McInally was the better punter.

Leading the league in punting? What does that even mean? The most number of punts? The most total punting yards? Gross punting average? Net punting average?

None of those tell you who the better punter is. Punting is situational. Kicking from midfield, who is better - the guy who booms a 55 yarder or the guy who kicks a 40 yarder with halftime.
In order to say who the better punter is, you have to watch every play and determine if the guy executes what needs to be executed in each particular situation.
Reply/Quote
I'd say Breech, as the all-time scoring leader and he was generally pretty clutch. But his all-time FG% kind of sucks. It was a different era though, and he was the kicker for 2 Super Bowl teams, so that gives him the edge as far as his place in bengals lore.
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2015, 11:55 PM)Joe Pong Wrote: Leading the league in punting? What does that even mean? The most number of punts? The most total punting yards? Gross punting average? Net punting average?

None of those tell you who the better punter is. Punting is situational. Kicking from midfield, who is better - the guy who booms a 55 yarder or the guy who kicks a 40 yarder with halftime.
In order to say who the better punter is, you have to watch every play and determine if the guy executes what needs to be executed in each particular situation.

The NFL ranks punters on gross average.  Surprised you did not know that.

I watched McInally punt and he was damn good.  Obviously everyone else who watched him play agreed because they selected him as First Team All Pro which means he was considered the best punter in the entire league.
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2015, 10:42 AM)fredtoast Wrote: The NFL ranks punters on gross average.  Surprised you did not know that.

I watched McInally punt and he was damn good.  Obviously everyone else who watched him play agreed because they selected him as First Team All Pro which means he was considered the best punter in the entire league.

The NFL also ranks punters on net average. They also rank them in number of touch backs, and number of punts inside the 20, and virtually any other stat you can think of.

Surprised you didn't know that. Rolleyes
Reply/Quote
I will say that while researching the kickers I realized that Shayne Graham got a bad rap. He is the best kicker we've ever had. This doesn't mean he had the best Bengal career. I would bestow that on the Mark Sanchez of kickers (Jim Breech).
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-04-2015, 11:17 AM)Joe Pong Wrote: The NFL also ranks punters on net average. They also rank them in number of touch backs, and number of punts inside the 20, and virtually any other stat you can think of.

Surprised you didn't know that. Rolleyes

The title "league's leading punter" goes to the guy with the highest gross average.  Just like whenever people talk about "leading the league in passing" it is generally accepted that they are talking about passer rating, and when you talk about "leading the league in rushing" you mean "most yards gained".  In fact most of the stats you mention can not even be found for McInally.
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2015, 12:18 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I will say that while researching the kickers I realized that Shayne Graham got a bad rap. He is the best kicker we've ever had. This doesn't mean he had the best Bengal career. I would bestow that on the Mark Sanchez of kickers (Jim Breech).

I voted for Shayne. I think a lot of people are still mad about the playoff game against the Jets.

Reply/Quote
Shayne Graham is massively under appreciated.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(07-04-2015, 12:18 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I will say that while researching the kickers I realized that Shayne Graham got a bad rap. He is the best kicker we've ever had. This doesn't mean he had the best Bengal career. I would bestow that on the Mark Sanchez of kickers (Jim Breech).

(07-05-2015, 11:50 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Shayne Graham is massively under appreciated.

I voted for him, and I agree.

People hate him for the 2 misses against the Jets, but we would've lost that one anyway. Shayne was a convenient scapegoat, but I was more concerned with the abysmal play of our QB and our defense. As for his misses down the stretch in '06, I blame Brad St Louis more for that. The bad snaps were in Shayne's head.

He was no doubt the best kicker we've ever had, and he's still in the league despite the fact that most teams try to replace veteran kickers every year with younger/cheaper options.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
As a kid born in 1980 and so didnt get to appreciate Breech as much-- I gotta say, throughout some horrible 90's teams, Pelfrey was the sole offense in some of our ugly wins. But as a fan with the ability to go back and watch stats Breech would have to get the nod. Keeping in mind how much the game has changed with stronger kickers in better shape, etc. As for punting I sure have enjoyed Huber these past few years. If you can say you enjoy punting...:)
Reply/Quote
and ill add Bratkowski as one who seemed to enjoy the punting aspect of football, with his 3rd and long HB up the middle game plans....
Reply/Quote