Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
McCarron hype gaining steam
(06-21-2015, 10:56 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I am thrilled to hear the McCarron is looking good.  We have been very lucky that Dalton has not missed a single game in four years.  That is pretty rare in the NFL.

But McCarron's success will have no effect on Dalton.  Dalton's problems have nothing to do with being lazy or unmotivated.  So competition will not make him any better.

I love AJ McCarron and everyone knows it.  I have been saying week 3-4 if Andy is no better since the day we drafted him.  I have the post to prove it as well.  Wait no I don't they took them down.  Any ways, I miss you FRED!  WHO DEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2015, 07:49 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: No he won't. Not even a little.

I don't think he will beat Andy out, but Andy better never miss a game.
I feel AJ has been winning over the locker room.
I think he is the swagger that Whit wants to see more of.
I'm not down on Andy, but AJ just has that "something". IMO
Reply/Quote
I'm not sure I understand why people here would not want McCarron to be anything more than a backup? If he stays or leaves to become a starter, it's a win for the bengals, right?

If he had to take dalton's spot at some point, either the season fell apart or we've got something special here. Personally, I hope he becomes great. You never know.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2015, 02:00 PM)spazz70 Wrote: Hi buddy...Let me ask you a question...Do those other players have a game plan?  Do you think a coach ever told Rey to not tackle a player for the entire first half?  I know for fact that Andy was told not to throw to AJ in the first half of the Houston game...Gruden admitted it in an interview that it was part of the game plan.... there is a big difference in what a QB can and cannot control during a game as opposed to other positions....To just blame an entire game on one person is not fair either...I am not making "excuses" for Dalton...I am saying he has had his bad moments...and I was talking specifically about the playoff games.... Our defense getting thrashed by the Houston and Sd running games then the coaches panicking and having Dalton throw 42 and 51 times in a game is not 100% on Dalton...Dalton is going to make mistakes when he has to throw that many times....And a lot of QBs will also.....Our team does not show up on game day in the playoffs...that is not Dalton's fault either..... If those other players have a bad day it more than likely does not cost us the game...When Dalton does it more than definitely cost us the game.....My overall point is that in those playoff games Dalton played well enough to win IF the team had played up to its potential...Also Dalton is not forced into situations that he is not suited for...We all know that he is not the type of player to throw the team on his shouldrs and carry it....So why put him into that situation?

While the rest of the team has played poorly as a whole in the Playoffs, Dalton has not played well enough to win. 1 TD, 7 picks (including a couple pick 6's), one infamous fumble, and a collective Passer rating in the mid 50's. What part of that is good enough to win? It's a dumpster fire.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2015, 09:32 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: I'm not sure I understand why people here would not want McCarron to be anything more than a backup?   If he stays or leaves to become a starter, it's a win for the bengals, right?  

If he had to take dalton's spot at some point,  either the season fell apart or we've got something special here.  Personally, I hope he becomes great.  You never know.

Who stated that they do not "want" McCarron to be anything more than a backup?
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2015, 09:22 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: I don't think he will beat Andy out, but Andy better never miss a game.

The ever elusive "something" that people see in a guy that hasn't done anything yet. It's not uncommon by any stretch, just don't be too disappointed when you see him live and he's underwhelming. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2015, 09:22 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: I don't think he will beat Andy out, but Andy better never miss a game.

This.
Miss Otis regrets she's unable to lunch today.
Reply/Quote

It's nice that there are some reports he seems to be competent in practice so far, but isn't it kind of hard to see that he "has that something" and is "winning over the locker room"?  He hasn't even taken a snap in a preseason game.  I'd like to see something on the field first.
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2015, 09:06 PM)Marlon23 Wrote: I love AJ McCarron and everyone knows it.  I have been saying week 3-4 if Andy is no better since the day we drafted him.  I have the post to prove it as well.  Wait no I don't they took them down.  Any ways, I miss you FRED!  WHO DEY!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm glad he's doing well in practice.  I hope he's a competent backup for the next few years if Andy ever gets injured.
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2015, 07:19 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Oh, we're gonna have the best backup QB in the league in 2015.......his name gonna be Andy Dalton!

I hope not, because it probably means we're having a losing season.
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2015, 09:39 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: While the rest of the team has played poorly as a whole in the Playoffs, Dalton has not played well enough to win.  1 TD, 7 picks (including a couple pick 6's), one infamous fumble, and a collective Passer rating in the mid 50's.  What part of that is good enough to win?  It's a dumpster fire.
I broke every game down in one of my posts...go back and read it....Having Dalton throw the ball 40-50 times in a game like he had to in 2 of them is not his style and I do not expect it to be..I understand his faults....I am not making excuses for him...I am saying to not put him into those positions in those games...When the defense cannot stop the run game of another team and we fall behind 2 scores when the team came in as the number 3 defense that does not fall on Dalton's shoulders...Asking Dalton to take the team on his shoulders because our defense cannot stop the other team does not fall on his shoulders...If any of you do not understand this then I do not know what else to say....This entire team has crapped its pants every single playoff game...Forcing Dalton to carry this team is not going to work and we all know that....  Someone said that when Dalton has a bad game no one blames him...I blame him 100% if he does....But I also have a hard time blaming him 100% when the rest of the team plays like total crap or the coaching staff does something stupid...Not throw to AJ for an entire half on purpose...Stop running with BJGE when he is averaging 5 YPC....Getting down in the 3rd Q by 10 points and throwing the rest of the game (28 attempts that half).... It is an entire team effort...Whether Dalton played poorly or not does not mean that the game should be lost.....
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2015, 10:27 PM)DaltontoKroftSBchamps Wrote: I hope not, because it probably means we're having a losing season.

I can't say that I'm "McCarron" for your pessimistic attitude, bub!
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2015, 11:00 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I will preface my discussion about McCarron by stating that I am a big fan of Dalton's.  That being said, I remember reading something where Mike Brown stated something to the fact of how little the Seahawks were spending on the QB and how much that allowed them to sign great players around him.  I recall something to the effect of him saying "maybe that is the way to go".  

When I saw the details of Dalton's contract, I could see that if they are not satisfied with his performance this season, they could go with a young, inexpensive QB and focus on the defense and a running game.
I'm also a fan of Dalton's, and I think this is a good point.  He was thrown to the wolves his first year and came through for the Bengals in the first four years to get them to the playoffs while being paid peanuts as a 2nd round pick.  If Dalton improves in this offense, I think he has a good chance to play up to his contract value and get us division titles and playoff wins.  Kenny Anderson took 10 years to get his first playoff win.
Reply/Quote
The guy has some championship rings, a smoking hot wife, and some recent praise from media, coaches, and teammates. Seems like guessing he's a bum is sillier than guessing we finally got a starting quality backup.
Reply/Quote
Back up QB is always the coolest guy on the team.
Reply/Quote
Nothing wrong with praising the guy if he's improving his game.  I'd hope that he's good enough to come off the bench and guide the team to some wins if it comes down to it.  As for the notion that he's legitimate competition for Dalton...I'll believe it when I see it and don't anticipate ever seeing it.
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2015, 12:49 PM)Nately120 Wrote: As usual I disagree a good bit with some of your conclusions, though not the information you present.  First, we should stop using Trent Dilfer as the example any QB can win in the right situation because Andy's playoff numbers are not even up to Trent Dilfer-level yet.
Quote:You're kidding, right?  Dilfer had one playoff game where he completed more than 50% of his passes and he threw it a grand total of 14 times. 

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DilfTr00/gamelog/post/

And all Kirk Cousins did was generate some buzz before being named the starter, committed a slew of turnovers, and sunk his own trade value.  We shall see, but I honestly think phasing out Dalton (for good or ill) is more likely than getting a good trade for McCarron.
Kirk Cousins did sink, but at one point he was thought of very highly throughout the league.  He ultimately played himself back down to planet earth, but I can't help but think that some of that might have been the talent around him.  McCarron hopefully won't see any regular season action but could play a great deal in the preseason and could, in fact, play himself in to a decent value on the trading block. 

I would be surprised if the Bengals would trade him, though, since they would finally have a backup that they believe in and could further develop.
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2015, 01:57 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Well,  I said "boner-fide" so yes.  I'm on the McCarron bandwagon now.  I have already decided to tell people who don't think AJ should start as people who are "not McCarron about winning the Super Bowl."

[Image: 6zeve8L.gif]
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
Who knows what we have or don't have in McCarron - nobody ! The dude has to at least play in preseason to even have a small inkling of anything.

I hope McCarron sets the world on fire, shoves Dalton out of a job and wins the Super Bowl. But if he doesn't and Dalton does that's just as well.

I don't care what college a guy played for or who he played with or what scheme they ran or any of that. If he can get my team to the promised land so be it.
Reply/Quote
Hype for a guy who looked good in shorts and a T shirt....makes sense. Everyone looks awesome when there is no real threat of getting hit. Let's see how he looks when the bullets start flying, or when corners can play press and guys aren't getting open. Bottom line is he isn't doing anything but holding the clip board this year, and that is okay as Andy still gives us the best chance to win now. Next year who knows but for now he is nothing more than your run of the mill over hyped back up.
Reply/Quote