Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
McCarron wins grievance, will be UFA
(02-15-2018, 09:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: They were smart to wait for the best value.

There is no way you can blame the front office for this.  They played their cards correctly and got more value than any of you here ever predicted.  They can't help it if the Browns screwed the pooch.

And anyone comparing this to the way the Reds handled Chapman is completely clueless.  the Bengals traded McCarron when his valkue was higher than anyone here predicted.  That is the exact opposite of what the Reds did with Chapman.

The Browns didn't screw the pooch.  They came to their senses at the last minute.  Somebody in that building actually got something right for a change.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
The reaction from the radio sports jocks out here in AZ is sort of funny. AZ is looking for a new QB this season because Carson retired. So they are cheering the AJ decision.... because they think some other team they are competing with to get a QB will take him and then they will have less competition for guys they really want.

But that is their reaction. Personally, I have nothing against the guy and don't blame him for wanting to find a team where he gets more snaps. Best of luck to him.

I think the radio sports guys out here are jerks anyway because they kiss Steeler butt and rag on us all of the time. Like AZ is doing all that much better than us over past couple of decades anyway, right.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2018, 02:00 AM)Go Cards Wrote: It is not a bad idea at all. 

But think with so many QB options out there we could get left holding the bag. 

23.5 million for a backup would be pretty terrifying. That franchise tag continues to rise and rise. At this point you probably just have to let him go. 
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2018, 11:59 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Agreed.  It's a shame a man can't stink at his job for over a quarter of a century without people being all hard on him, and stuff.  

The shame is that even though there are plenty of this to rip him about people think they can also just make up stuff out of thin air and claim ti is true.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2018, 05:13 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The best time to trade Macaroni was right after the 2015 season. Last I checked, a player's value doesn't go up as they age. Nor does it go up when they spend more and more time on the bench. We waited a full year and a half to attempt to trade him. Anyone spinning that as a positive deserves an honorary Geoff Hobson badge.

Anyone claiming they know more about when to trade a back up QB that the Patriots needs a "I ignore reality" award.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2018, 01:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The shame is that even though there are plenty of this to rip him about people think they can also just make up stuff out of thin air and claim ti is true.

But since you have even stated that you think ebenezer is the worse owner in the nfl and his record, especially in the postseason, is historically pitiful, keep on defending him against any stuff we make up about him outta thin air.

Most, if not all the criticisms that man gets regarding on the field performance are more than deserved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2018, 12:00 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: The reaction from the radio sports jocks out here in AZ is sort of funny. AZ is looking for a new QB this season because Carson retired. So they are cheering the AJ decision.... because they think some other team they are competing with to get a QB will take him and then they will have less competition for guys they really want.

But that is their reaction. Personally, I have nothing against the guy and don't blame him for wanting to find a team where he gets more snaps. Best of luck to him.

I think the radio sports guys out here are jerks anyway because they kiss Steeler butt and rag on us all of the time. Like AZ is doing all that much better than us over past couple of decades anyway, right.

The Cardinals sure liked Bengal players it seemed for the radio sports guys to be ragging on us all the time...

But atleast they won some Playoff games and went to the Superbowl lately with Kurt and Larry.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2018, 02:10 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: But since you have even stated that you think ebenezer is the worse owner in the nfl and his record, especially in the postseason, is historically pitiful, keep on defending him against any stuff we make up about him outta thin air.

I will.

I care about my arguments being based on reality instead of just making up crap to impress the haters.  The truth is more important to me than "fitting in".
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2018, 05:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I will.

I care about my arguments being based on reality instead of just making up crap to impress the haters.  The truth is more important to me than "fitting in".

Rock On then.  I don't make up crap and I'm not trying to impress anyone, to "fit in" or otherwise.  But the man deserves heaping amounts of criticism.  And it still won't do any good as he's too goddamned stubborn to admit his ways don't work.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2018, 07:03 PM)Go Cards Wrote: We fumbled that one away.

Face meet palm.

I can't completely agree.  NFL feels arbitrator was wrong on this ruling. NFL says Bengals and Bengals Doctor did everything right in the way they put McCarron on NRI in his rookie year of 2014.  NFL says they will not fine Bengals because in NFL's opinion Bengals did everything right and this arbitrator is wrong. Plus Bengals traded McCarron to Browns in 2017 for a 2nd and 3rd round draft pick. The Browns were celebrating the trade. According to the Cleveland newspapers and National newspapers, the Browns were celebrating so much that they forgot to turn the trade into NFL Headquarters before the deadline time that day. The Browns fumbled the trade, not the Bengals. I think it is a mistake to put all this on the Bengals then. 

So because Browns were celebrating and forgot to turn the trade in they were celebrating, and because this arbitrator just made a decision that the NFL says was a bad decision, because of these two things the Bengals completely lose out on getting draft picks for McCarron. It really is a last second raw deal for our Bengals. Life is not always fair, the system does not always work. It is what it is. All that can be done is to forget about it and move on.  So McCarron was what, a 5th round pick. Normally you don't get 2nd and 3rd round picks for a 5th round pick anyway. McCarron has yet to show he can be a quality starter in the NFL.  In 2015, with Dalton injured, McCarron didn't look very good. In preseasons he hasn't looked that great either. There is no reason to over hype McCarron now that we get nothing for him. When I thought we might get something for him, I was glad to over rate him also. The truth is we have had better back-ups in Bengals history than McCarron. 

So Bengals got two raw deals on this, but it is what it is and team moves on.  It's not like they are losing a starter. As for the comp picks, the old blues song says you can't lose what you ain't never had.  Adios McCarron. Team moves on.  No way I completely blame Mike Brown and Bengals on this. I blamed Mike Brown on many things such as letting Zeitler and Whitworth both go.  I have blamed Mike Brown for many things.  The NFL is not known for backing up Mike Brown, so if they say Bengals got a raw deal by this arbitrator, it's probably true.  So we get no comp picks for a guy we drafted 5th round. It's not like when Carson Palmer left, McCarron wasn't even a starter.  Losing a 5th round back-up QB isn't going to make or break us in the long run. Have a good Free Agency and Draft anyway, GO BENGALS.  There are many things to be excited about with these new coaches. If they improve the blocking, the 7-9 Bengals can improve back to the play-offs. Blocking would improve our running and passing 100 % and less 3 and outs will help our good defense. I have doubts McCarron is going to be a star or even a starter, and I thought Driskel looked better last preseason. It would have been nice to con a team out of top picks, but in the end I could care less if McCarron leaves and he's kind of over rated at this point.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Bengals tried to trade AJ to the Jets.
Not sure if it was for Draft picks or as the rumor went, we were swapping AJ for Sheldon Richardson.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2018, 01:56 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Bengals tried to trade AJ to the Jets.
Not sure if it was for Draft picks or as the rumor went, we were swapping AJ for Sheldon Richardson.

According to the report, the Jets "did not want to surrender compensation."
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jets-reportedly-rejected-an-aj-mccarron-trade-last-year-may-be-fallback-option-now/
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Good luck to McCarron. I didn't think we would have got much from him, so I'm not too disappointed.
Reply/Quote
Good luck to him indeed. I wish him no ill will, but at the same time I STILL don't see what the big deal over him was. He was an adequate back-up, but I never saw anything out of him that led me to believe we had an elite signal caller sitting on the bench. Maybe he'll prove me wrong and have a stellar NFL career. More than likely he'll be a decent starter and nothing more.

In any case, take Mason Rudolph in the draft and call it a day.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Bucky Brooks loves him some AJM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000917349/article/patriots-qb-succession-plan-marcus-peters-trade-assessment

Quote:QB QUESTION: Is AJ McCarron an NFL starter?
Yes!

I don't know why the mere suggestion of McCarron as a potential starting quarterback elicits such a strong response from scouts, writers and the Twitter-verse, but the naysayers questioning the former Heisman Trophy runner-up's ability to lead a team as a QB1 continue to get it wrong. In a league where we're about to see Kirk Cousins break the bank as the hottest quarterback on the market and Case Keenum and Nick Foles championed as viable starters, there is no doubt in my mind that McCarron can be a No. 1 guy on a team in need of a quarterback.

While that suggestion might make you spit out your coffee or roll your eyes, I will double down on my belief in the fifth-year pro. Since the 2014 pre-draft process, I've touted McCarron as an intriguing quarterback prospect with all of the tools needed to be a winner in this league. From his winning pedigree (36-4 career record as a starter for the Crimson Tide, with a pair of national titles) to his keen understanding of situational football and efficient numbers (77:15 TD-to-INT ratio with a 66.9 percent completion rate) to his competitive arrogance and underrated passing skills, I believed he checked off all of the boxes coming out of Alabama to be a quality NFL starter.

Now, I certainly understood why some scouts weren't fully on board with my assessment, based on questions about McCarron's arm strength and lack of athleticism. But I believed his intangibles (confidence, work ethic, football IQ and leadership skills) exceeded his physical deficiencies. And I would've taken him with a first-round pick -- if I had a strong supporting cast in place that would allow him to play as a game manager or complementary playmaker under center.

Although the rest of the league didn't share my high opinion of McCarron -- as evidenced by his selection in the fifth round behind guys like Blake Bortles, Johnny Manziel, Tom Savage and Aaron Murray -- I remained optimistic about his chances after speaking to several Bengals coaches about his progress as a player during his first few years with the team. And I've heard positive reviews from other league folks outside of the organization, too.

"I like him for what he is," an NFC pro personnel director told me. "He's a limited passer, but coming from Alabama, he's a winner, and he's proved that he knows how to play team football. He doesn't have to have crazy passing numbers to win. That's important."

On the field, his play during the preseason suggested that he would perform well when given a chance to play with the No. 1s, and he didn't disappoint when he had his shot to run the team at the end of the 2015 campaign, following an Andy Dalton injury. McCarron not only stepped in and played efficiently as a starter -- 66.4 percent completion rate, 6:2 TD-to-INT ratio and a 97.1 passer rating in seven regular-season appearances (three starts) -- but he had the Bengals on the verge of winning their first playoff game under Marvin Lewis, delivering a would-be game-winning toss to A.J. Green with less than two minutes remaining in the game. Of course, McCarron's teammates proceeded to completely melt down, handing the game to Pittsburgh.

With those positive McCarron moments still etched in my memory bank, I remain convinced he will be a solid starter in the league if he's put in the right situation. In an ideal world, McCarron would land with a team that has three things in place that'll allow him to succeed: a strong defense, a solid running game and a legitimate No. 1 receiver.

Although I'm bullish on McCarron's prospects as a QB1, I also know that he is a "trailer" in need of a solid supporting cast to allow him to play to his strengths as a game manager. Some options:

Arizona Cardinals: Steve Wilks' squad checks off all of the boxes needed to help McCarron thrive. The team has a stout defense in place and the offense features a pair of playmakers (Larry Fitzgerald and David Johnson) who would allow McCarron to grow into the role as a starter. With Mike McCoy adept at building an offense around the talents of his quarterback, McCarron could prosper quickly in the desert as the Cardinals' new QB1.

Denver Broncos: After missing out on the playoffs due to inept quarterback play, the Broncos could return to prominence with a solid starter under center. While McCarron lacks the marquee name that would excite the fan base, he is an efficient passer capable of getting the ball into the hands of Demaryius Thomas and Emmanuel Sanders on the perimeter. In addition, he takes excellent care of the football, which will keep the defense out of harm's way and allow the team to return to the formula that led to a Super Bowl victory a few seasons ago.

Buffalo Bills: If the team moves on from Tyrod Taylor -- and it seems to me like they might be trying to create a trade market for him right now -- McCarron could be the right guy to replace him as the new QB1. He knows how to play winning football in a blue-collar fashion and his Alabama ties could make him an ideal fit in Brian Daboll's scheme. With Sean McDermott intent on rebuilding the winning culture in Buffalo, McCarron's pedigree could serve him well as the new starter in Buffalo.

Cleveland Browns: I have to put the Browns on the list based on McCarron's ties with Hue Jackson and the aborted trade from last season, but I'm not really convinced this is the right spot for him. The team's defense isn't quite up to par and the only wideout worth a salt is Josh Gordon. Throw in the probability of the team using the No. 1 overall pick on a quarterback, and I just don't know if this is a spot where McCarron would flourish in 2018.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-24-2018, 02:16 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Bucky Brooks loves him some AJM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000917349/article/patriots-qb-succession-plan-marcus-peters-trade-assessment

Denver,SD, or Zona seem ideal for him. There were some rumors last Summer of him having some sort of Denver connection. 

I wish him the best of luck!
Reply/Quote