Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
McCarron wins grievance, will be UFA
(02-16-2018, 11:57 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: No it doesn't (at least not for this particular instance). it says they're very good at negotiating if anything. They were able to agree on a second and third round pick, which nobody else agreed on. The trade fell apart for whatever reason, but the fact is they were able to negotiate that trade. And they knew they would get at the very least a comp pick if they let him walk, so they had that in their back pocket. Say what you want about this FO, but trading is something they're pretty good at. Look at the Palmer deal as an example. 

And yeah, I don't have any ill will toward him. I hope he wins multiple SBs with his new team. 

I have no ill will towards most of the population of the world but in no way would I want to see  him win multiple SuperBowls with anyone.

Once the Bengals are out of the playoffs I really just hope they cancel them and nobody wins!!!
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2018, 09:26 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: They actually won't. This fits their blueprint on how to do things.

They'll actually get a third round comp pick If they stay under $9M APY. So this seals the deal for being "buyers" in FA.

They also need to lose more UFAs than they sign. Eifert & Hill also seem like comp pick candidates if the Bengals don't re-sign them.

So they still get a pick, just not as good of one if they traded.

Yes. The Bengals really don't stand to lose much here.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2018, 12:14 PM)Nately120 Wrote:  Mike Brown wanted more for McCarron than the 49ers paid for the highly sought Garoppolo and it fell through.  Both times he ended up missing out because he placed more value on a player than people who are held accountable for their errors would have.

That has nothing to do with why the trade with the browns failed.
Reply/Quote
I wonder about the feasibility of a team having the bengals transition tag aj then trade for him. That team would lock up his rights and not get into a bidding war for him.

Not sure procedurally how this might work, just a thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
I don't think anyone is to blame here, except the browns could take the majority of blame.

Even if he was a bengals this year, who is trading for him with the available options this year? Is he more sought after than cousins, Bree's, Bradford, Keenan? Would someone trade for him over foles? Is he a higher priority than incoming rookies?

I'll be interested to see what he garners on the FA market. If he gets a 1 year 2-5M prove it deal that shows his real value... or at least what other teams perceive

I hope he succeeds in whatever role. Good guy who did his job here.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2018, 01:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: That has nothing to do with why the trade with the browns failed.

But it does.  A GM who actually needs to get value for a player who may walk out the door the next year might take a 2nd rounder for McCarron while a GM who doesn't need to worry about getting fired can pull the "My way or the highway" shtick that led to the Browns pulling the plug, or hemming and hawing until the buzzer.

Don't get me wrong, the NFL is full of examples of GMs who were going to get fired who made terrible decisions because they had nothing to lose, too.
Reply/Quote
You can blame the Browns and Sashi for the Bengals getting nothing for AJ, but there was absolutely no reason at all for the Bengals not to get something for him last off season. I am pretty certain they could have at least received a 2nd round pick for him before last season started. Instead you wait till literately the last possible second? Am I ticked off the Browns craw-fished and kaboshed the deal? Sure. However the Bengals front office does not get a pass for me here, and should have known better before letting it get to this grievance or waiting till the absolute latest of deadlines to do their freaking job. What a joke.
Reply/Quote
If the Bengals had traded McCarron a week before the deadline the same people bashing Mike Brown here would be bashing him for "moving to quick instead of being patient and getting more value".
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2018, 02:12 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If the Bengals had traded McCarron a week before the deadline the same people bashing Mike Brown here would be bashing him for "moving to quick instead of being patient and getting more value".

No, they wouldn't! They would have been ecstatic to have received any compensation greater than a 5th. Period.
Do you really think that the Pats wanted to move JG? They didn't. It was the best business decision for the team, at that time. Brady isn't going anywhere soon. Neither is Dalton.
Reply/Quote
Not surprised at all. Bengals had McCarron traded and Cleveland (smartly) sabotages the deal. Hindsight being 20/20, Bengals shouldn't have waited until the trade deadline. But they also never would have received the package that Cleveland was apparently willing to pay before Sashi Brown fell on the sword. Just another disappointing chapter of my life as a Bengals fan.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2018, 02:12 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If the Bengals had traded McCarron a week before the deadline the same people bashing Mike Brown here would be bashing him for "moving to quick instead of being patient and getting more value".

Wouldn’t that depend on what they got for him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
Believe the Browns were pulling MB's chain trying to keep AJM from being traded to another team so they can get him for nothing imo.

Probably payback for the Carson trade that cost Hue his HC job.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2018, 10:48 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I don't agree at all.

On a dominant team it's feasible.

Not on the damn Browns.

If he "statues" like he does he'll get his ass planted.

I guess I don't see whatever everyone else sees in AJM though even in a small sample size.

I'm not even sure if he's better than Josh McCown to be honest with you.

Completely agree with you. I mean even when he played okay he held onto the ball too long and got sacked twice as
much as Dalton rate wise in that short time with a much better O-line than we have today. I still thought he was a good
backup back then but then last Offseason happened and he was way worse than Jeff Driskel our other backup.

Driskel is a great running backup as well and i like him much better.

Just wish we would of got something for AJM when he had some value. Mikey Boy botched this one. I am sure there
were other offers and even if we would of got a 4th rounder for him it would of been great.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2018, 09:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: They were smart to wait for the best value.

There is no way you can blame the front office for this.  They played their cards correctly and got more value than any of you here ever predicted.  They can't help it if the Browns screwed the pooch.

And anyone comparing this to the way the Reds handled Chapman is completely clueless.  the Bengals traded McCarron when his valkue was higher than anyone here predicted.  That is the exact opposite of what the Reds did with Chapman.

Agree about Chapman, somewhat agree about the Bengals.  His value was the highest right after the 2015 season, I would think.  Maybe they should have been more proactive during 2016 and during the offseason going into 2017.  That's where I see them as culpable.  True, the Brownies fudged up that particular deal, and I said as much in the thread about that specific event.  I just feel they should have reached out to more teams earlier.  Denver, SF, NYJ, Chi, and some other teams were in just as bad shape at QB as the Brownies during that time frame.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2018, 10:51 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Perhaps

or sign Teddy Bridgewater and have a 1st round selection who has already been to the Pro Bowl with more wins than losses on his resume. 

Bengals love rehabilitating players they can get on the cheap. And or criminals that matter.

I was on board for drafting him way back when......I'd definitely kick the tires on a prove it deal.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2018, 02:39 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Completely agree with you. I mean even when he played okay he held onto the ball too long and got sacked twice as
much as Dalton rate wise in that short time with a much better O-line than we have today. I still thought he was a good
backup back then but then last Offseason happened and he was way worse than Jeff Driskel our other backup.

Driskel is a great running backup as well and i like him much better.

Just wish we would of got something for AJM when he had some value. Mikey Boy botched this one. I am sure there
were other offers and even if we would of got a 4th rounder for him it would of been great.

Ok, that’s just not true. AJ had some good showings. He did more against the top defense that won the Super Bowl than did Cam Newton. Not only that but he beat the Ravens and we were one defensive stop/meltdown/fumble away from winning our first playoff game in decades.

Some of you need to open your blinders. AJ has never had the chance to become the guy here. The way this organization operates Andy is it until he doesn’t want to be, period. That’s why Marvin will be the most unsuccessful tenured coach in NFL history. No team will ever hold on to a coach that long without a playoff win and no coach besides Marvin could stand to operate in an organization under Mike Brown for that long.

Most franchise QBs with that kind of security have a certain intangible other NFL QBs don’t have. What’s Andy’s? What does he do better than other QBs that allows him to not be held accountable for his play? It’s just absolutely insane how much of a pass he gets because every year it’s a different excuse as to why it’s not his fault.
Reply/Quote
Heres hoping AJ gets the biggest contract possible.... Which will help us out next year in the draft.

There are a lot of QBs available though and a strong QB class... He could be right back here for all we know. But best of luck to AJ M just don't sign with the browns if your goal is success.
Reply/Quote
I'm calling it now...if the Bengals go to FA for a backup QB, it will be...
MATT MOORE!

Matt Moore is 33 years old, will be an UFA in March, and was the backup QB when Lazor and Coyle were in Miami.
He also should only command a contract in the realm of 2 years, $4-6 mill.

It just makes too much sense to not happen.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2018, 03:48 PM)Stonyhands Wrote: Ok, that’s just not true.  AJ had some good showings.  He did more against the top defense that won the Super Bowl than did Cam Newton.  Not only that but he beat the Ravens and we were one defensive stop/meltdown/fumble away from winning our first playoff game in decades.  

Some of you need to open your blinders.  AJ has never had the chance to become the guy here.  The way this organization operates Andy is it until he doesn’t want to be, period.  That’s why Marvin will be the most unsuccessful tenured coach in NFL history.  No team will ever hold on to a coach that long without a playoff win and no coach besides Marvin could stand to operate in an organization under Mike Brown for that long.  

Most franchise QBs with that kind of security have a certain intangible other NFL QBs don’t have.  What’s Andy’s?  What does he do better than other QBs that allows him to not be held accountable for his play?  It’s just absolutely insane how much of a pass he gets because every year it’s a different excuse as to why it’s not his fault.

Oh, it is true. AJM like i said was a good backup a year or two ago and he had some good showings when Dalton went down i agree.

But all he did was win against losing teams and lose against winning teams.

All of last year he was not that same good backup. He was worse than Driskel let alone our starter Dalton.

Dalton is not our problem here, could we upgrade the QB position?

Maybe, but AJM was not the answer especially after his showing last year.

Dalton was 8-0 and an MVP candidate before he got hurt that same year and has one of the quickest releases in football.

The hate Dalton gets is nutz. You give him an okay O-line like he had in 2015 and we will be right back in the Playoffs.

Will we win when we get there? Probably not cause he has sucked in the Playoffs just like everybody else including AJM.
Reply/Quote

Finding reasons to bash an incompetent owner, in the Bengals case, are plentiful, easy and accurate. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote